Are Toyota RAV4s reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister dumped hers due to an AWD system failure ($1800) that Honda dealer did not notice on trade in. Apparently a common issue that got an extended warranty.

If you are worried about reliability(cost of repair) 316k is not your vehicle.

Jeez, I remember the good old days when 100-150K was about the limit on used cars sold by a dealer(not that they couldn't go farther)-there's no way to avoid big $ repairs with something that old in AWD.

It's just getting broken in.
lol.gif

My Rav4 is starting to wear out. Can't tell if it's losing compression or the fuel injectors are clogged. But it doesn't want to accelerate very quickly. And the transmission is whiny.

But it's been very reliable.

Torque converters may have been a problem around that era, thinking 2010's, and some of the the AWD have had problems with gaskets leaking on the transfer cases, if that's what it's called.

Disclaimer, I don't own a vehicle under 200k and new car smell to me is cigarette smoke or dog

If it were FWD and not rusted out, not burning oil...good maintenance history of regular oil changes, couple of transmission services(best it gets...) I might have a closer look.

Valve adjustment is what worries me, a shim or a lock-nut adjuster is preferred, but a lot of these Toyota you have to remove the cam shaft to replace a bucket type shim. One day I figure I will get a misfire code as one bucket shim no longer can perform it's service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back