Are Toyo tires just not as good as they used to be?

Did Pep Boys "improve" after it's sale? I saw a revamp of the service area at my nearest Pep Boys.
"Selling off" the service department was a publicized possibility.
Is the same kinda thing going to happen with L.S.?
A little real estate shake up too?

I remember that the Toyo A05 range lasted a real long time, and had lots of sipes that were good in snow.

I think its just a matter of not being able to find them anymore. So fewer distributors, and lots of dumping of Chinese product that undercuts any brand trying to make inroads.

Toyo/Nitto pretty much dominate the off road truck market currently. Their all terrain, hybrid and mud tire offerings are really good. They also make good track tires and Nitto is popular for drag radials.

They do seem to have really dropped their offerings in the street performance car market and touring tire market. The T1S and T1R were very popular back in the day.

My wife's 350z has Toyo Proxie4s on it. They are older, but still do a good and in fine shape being exposed to little of degrading conditions.

Likely to happen. Les Schwab ran a tight ship along with Phil Wick. Both died within a few years of each other and the kids in the family have no interest in the business. It the same story we’ve heard time and again.

Many years ago we drove into Prineville Oregon and saw the headquarters as they were. A huge warehouse filled with tires. After the two mentioned above passed away the headquarters was moved to Bend in a new classy building. Bend has more going on than Prineville though since the big tech names have moved into Prineville that’s not the same place it used to be either.
Looks like they have had some other operating issues as well:

Toyo is chasing after the “bro” market with their marketing on UFC and their focus on truck tires.

a long time ago, Toyo and Nitto focused on the “tuner” market - the import crowd as well as people who needed a good tire without the name brand tax. Toyo just never seemed to have a solid identity. I recall having two sets of Toyos installed on the parent’s fleet. They weren’t spectacular or bad.

regardless, they are not going away. Toyo Rubber also makes engine mounts and bushings. They are Toyota’s #1 supplier of those besides IRC/Inoac.

Back