Are Toyo tires just not as good as they used to be?

What's kind of strange is that when I read shootout tests of winter tires, Toyo often seem to be absent from the group. Hard to find much info on them compared to the competition.

I have the Open Country AT2 on my F150 and they are great. I put a set of the Open Country QT 20 inch tires on my wife's explorer and got around 18,000 miles on them with one to the wear bar and the others close behind.

I will admit, back when I was younger, with my 1993 Toyota pickup. I always bought Toyo tires because I thought they were made by Toyota. Kind of hurts thinking back at how much money I spent on getting the "best" Toyo that could fit my truck. This is the first time the thing has ever seen a non-Toyo all season tire put on. I used the Toyo Eclipse tires for two sets and for such expensive tires (like $120+ each) they were nothing special in the dry wet or snow. But, they were super reliable and tough. Even with offroading over sharp rocks, they never popped or punctured.

They seem to spend more money in advertising and stickers than R&D. Their R1R and R888r are decent but fall in the middle of the pack performance wise compared to their competitors and prices.

Maybe my imagination but I have 2 sets of premium Japanese A/S tires Bridgestone Dueler Alenza+ and Toyo Open Country H/T2, at Toyota rec psi they're both are on the stiff side but very solid over cracks/bumps and wear like iron..now you can let some air out if that bothers you (I run -2psi) I'm thinking both so similar it must be by design....Jap idea of motor car tires opposed to a softer limper Michelin. I'm o.k. with it.

Maybe my imagination but I have 2 sets of premium Japanese A/S tires Bridgestone Dueler Alenza+ and Toyo Open Country H/T2, at Toyota rec psi they're both are on the stiff side but very solid over cracks/bumps and wear like iron..now you can let some air out if that bothers you (I run -2psi) I'm thinking both so similar it must be by design....Jap idea of motor car tires opposed to a softer limper Michelin. I'm o.k. with it.
Robust? I will take Michelin over Bridgestone every day. I have never seen tire that "attracts" nails as Bridgestone tires, and their Dualer line up was the worst of top tier tires I ever had on any vehicle.
Their stiffness comes from the fact that they are just not there technology wise.
I had also several of their performance tires, and none was as durable as Michelin.

Toyo's Open Country tires are fantastic, especially with the new AT3 that just came out.

Robust? I will take Michelin over Bridgestone every day. I have never seen tire that "attracts" nails as Bridgestone tires, and their Dualer line up was the worst of top tier tires I ever had on any vehicle.
Their stiffness comes from the fact that they are just not there technology wise.
I had also several of their performance tires, and none was as durable as Michelin.
I believe Toyota takes alot of pride in their 4Runner and 120 platforms, even a dedicated Japanese factory to mfg. them turning out the most reliable vehicles in the world..I'd assume they test drive their product and that tire spec has been Bridgestone Dueler for 15-20yrs. I'd also bet Toyota heavily influences that tire build spec.

I believe Toyota takes alot of pride in their 4Runner and 120 platforms, even a dedicated Japanese factory to mfg. them turning out the most reliable vehicles in the world..I'd assume they test drive their product and that tire spec has been Bridgestone Dueler for 15-20yrs. I'd also bet Toyota heavily influences that tire build spec.
I own Toyota Prado diesel in Europe. You have no idea what is unreliability until one owns that vehicle.
My suspension on Tiguan is more robust than that one.
Toyota is good selling vehicles with 20yr old technology. Once things move to more sophistication, things go south very fast. Really fast.

I’m happy with the Toyo Celsius I have. They replaced a set of goodyear assurance. Toyo’s are definitely better at least for the application.

In the end it will depend on the individual product line. Toyo like other tire manufacturers make different product lines for different consumer groups.

I have the A23 on the CX5. They seem to be wearing well.

I am originally from the pacific NW and I remember Les Schwab being the place to get tires. They had an amazing reputation, sad to hear so much has changed, and now it sold to an investment firm.

As far as Toyo tires, I have them to two vehicles and as of this moment, love them, doing very well here in the desert. I guess time will tell as they are still fairly new. I hope I didn't make a bad choice!

I put the Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II tires on and they are fantastic! Far superior in handling and traction to any of the Toyo tires it had before. They will likely wear faster, but so far they're exactly what I needed.

Had them on my Toyota and on my 1989 Ford diesel P/U those were the last ones I had their tire life seemed to be fading from the ones I owned before and the price increased pretty good. I didn't get another set.

Toyo tranpath A14 were OEM on my toyota RAV (any few other car makers) over here.
I found them of good performance in the dry & snow for this type of car. They lacked wet weather grip but no issues with aquaplaning.

I changed them for Proxes CF2. These are very good in the wet by comparison, dry grip is also excllent but no as good as A14 in the snow (not M+S rated)
IMO they are fine tyres as long as you pick the right one for your car

Back