Are these bearings real or counterfeit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kestas
Counterfeiting is usually done on well-known, esteemed brand names. I can't imagine someone counterfeiting Nachi brand bearings.

Wisdom speaks.
thumbsup2.gif

I got a Koyo rear wheel bearing with the right numbers and everything and Mechanic said it was fake. But I saved $75. NOT

It's sad but I now buy almost everything directly from a dealer.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I got a Koyo rear wheel bearing with the right numbers and everything and Mechanic said it was fake.

Having "the right numbers" doesn't amount for much. Counterfeiters can normally do a very, very good job at cloning items. My favorites nowadays are how either NGK or Denso have pictures and details on their website on how to identify counterfeit spark plugs. I imagine the counterfeiters have printed out that data and are "improving" their parts based on that info !

How did your mechanic confirm it was fake ?

I don't see it any more risky than buying a parts store bearing. You never know for sure what "brand" you are getting.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Gebo
I got a Koyo rear wheel bearing with the right numbers and everything and Mechanic said it was fake.

Having "the right numbers" doesn't amount for much. Counterfeiters can normally do a very, very good job at cloning items. My favorites nowadays are how either NGK or Denso have pictures and details on their website on how to identify counterfeit spark plugs. I imagine the counterfeiters have printed out that data and are "improving" their parts based on that info !

How did your mechanic confirm it was fake ?

He installed it and it was bad. Taking it out he had to "disassemble" it. Once he saw it "disassembled" he said it looked fake as compared to Toyota OEM. I got all my money back from Amazon for the bearing and then shelled out about $75 more for a Toyota OEM. Exterior of both bearings looked the same to me??? I didn't do any in depth analysis. Just took his word for it.

This specific event was what changed my views on how and where I purchase auto parts. I ain't even gonna buy Aisin Timing belt kits or Denso plugs off Amazon or ebay anymore.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Kestas
Counterfeiting is usually done on well-known, esteemed brand names. I can't imagine someone counterfeiting Nachi brand bearings.

Might want to learn a bit about Nachi bearings then.... Makes perfect sense that there could be counterfeits of them out there.

I work in the bearing industry. How come I never heard of Nachi bearings? I would expect counterfeiters to copy a more familiar brand.

There isn't much in Google about Nachi bearings.

These all looks pretty legit as well. They were packing them info SKF boxes in the back, and pulling the bearings out of large boxes with Chinese writing on them. Straight from the streets of Shanghai, to an Ebay seller near you!

Unfortunately, I think it's a crap shoot with 3rd party sellers. Counterfeits even make there way into mainstream supply chains, but it's a lot less likely.

[Linked Image]

It's a crapshoot for bearings off eBay or Amazon. Unless there is a hologram and a way to verify authenticity(like Timken and INA[the other name I can't say here]), I buy 6000-series bearings off McMaster-Carr or Grainger.

Nachi is one of the big 3 bearing makers of Japan along with NTN and Koyo. Koyo is part of JTEKT which in turn part of Toyota(via Toyoda Industries).

I would buy them and return them if they aren't as advertised. I've done it before and will continue to do so. They foot the bill for shipping too.

You aren't doing a thing wrong. The photo shows an item and you buy it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back