Are there any decent used car warrenty compainies?

Looking to get a used spare car to use. Getting up in age and I don't want to tackle big
jobs any decent aftermarket used car warretny companies?
Thanks
I see you're from the Buffalo area as well.

I'm not a big proponent of them anymore, but the warranty packages I've bought through the West-Herr and Towne chains were always seamless and they were aftermarket.

The huge dealer chains aren't going to sell you a warranty that doesn't work. Thing is, like anything these days, I'm sure they aren't cheap.

Mercury Insurance (Mechanical Protection). A 1st class company, also a large auto/home/business insurer. Coverage comparable or better than extended warranty policies from the auto manufacturers. No-hassle claims. I have not heard one negative about this company. No, I don't work for them or sell policies for them, just my personal opinion based on previous experience.

This thread made me think about my 2017 Nissan Titan because its warranty is expiring in December. It came with a 100k, five year bumper-to-bumper, which was one of the reasons I choose it over other options. I only use it to tow my boat so it just has 32k, but so far I’ve not needed any warranty work…but in the back of my mind are all those horror stories about Nissan transmissions taking a dump long before the rest of the vehicle wears out.

We’re AAA members so I called to inquire about their extended warranty. 4 years or 48K would be around $2200 for silver (basic power train) and add a couple hundred bucks to cover the audio system and other electronics. Mine’s a very basic trim so I don’t have touchscreens or navigation. I think if the audio ever died I would just splurge for a nice aftermarket unit.

I’m semi-seriously considering adding four years when the warranty expires in December.
That is a good deal. Did the mileage of your truck lower it?

There are so many "sketchy" used car warranty companies, I hear them advertise on the radio. I liken them to insurance agents that sell "pandemic insurance" to businesses, then won't pay out without a lawyer.

I think this would be a good stickey, as I only have one used vehicle, and it would add a peace of mind to have some sort of coverage (for a rental, repairs, etc) when it fails.

The YAA people (Your Auto Advocate) sell an aftermarket warranty that they have vetted and claim to be decent. I would check their forums to see if what people there are saying about it.

Car warranties are like scratch tickets. A few people win, but it's designed to be a revenue generator for the seller. Today it makes sense to buy a new car and sell it before the warranty expires if you're concerned about ownership costs.

Instead of buying a warranty, set aside some cash for any potential repairs. If something big goes wrong that exceeds the cash you have saved you could always go get a small personal loan. That way you're only spending/borrowing in the event something actually happens as opposed to spending the money up front whether something happens or not. Warranties rarely pay off unless you have a big catastrophic failure.

Back