Are there any decent used car warrenty compainies?

Looking to get a used spare car to use. Getting up in age and I don't want to tackle big
jobs any decent aftermarket used car warretny companies?
Thanks

I can't help with a recommendation but you are going to open a can of worms. If you ever inquire with a provider you will be bombarded with spam calls from every warranty provider for the rest of your life. All I can say is good luck.

Direct from the manufacturer… Mopar’s is actually pretty good for example. Quick look shows Max Care (literally everything is covered except wear items, maintenance items, body trim, glass and plastic lenses) for our used 85,000 mile Grand Caravan would be $5,300 for 60 months from whenever you buy the warranty and/or 75,000 on top of whatever you’re currently at.

Warranties are about averages, that on average the pool of customers pays out more than they get back, also factoring in insurance company investments that draw interest but you can earn interest on that money too, instead of paying it to them.

Point is, insurance is best if you have your heart set on a vehicle with a known, glaring defect that is inevitable. Not so much for a conservative purchase where you researched the inherent early failure points for that vehicle and avoided vehicles with big ticket items looming based on age/mileage.

If you belong to AAA give them a call. I have had good luck with their Platinum plan and it was about 1/3 less in price for the same coverage that a factory warranty (purchased online at a steep discount) offers. Also, the dealership I used (one that had earned my trust) even commented on how reasonable and easy the warranty company was to deal with.

Briefly considered this very thing awhile back... when my ride was new we opted for the Zurich extended warranty that covered it quite well until the 8 yr/120K point and it added about $1,700 onto the initial cost. Thought that was acceptable given the car design, options, etc. Over that span I did rely it once for a simple transfer case seal leak. Out-of-pocket it would've been just over $400 and the warranty covered it and not even a deductible as was stated in the paperwork ($50). Warranty expired so I ended up paying about $1,300 not ever used so they win.

Looked into an extended warranty at this point as I plan to keep the car indefinitely and it has cost me very little all things considered. Looked at Car Shield, Olive and a few others. Basically for the coverage package I looked into the cost would be about $148/monthly for 36 months and that would only cover it the 3 yrs and another 40k miles I think. I couldn't justify that much spending for something that may be needed and that $4,000+ will go a long way toward any fixes in that time frame. You will see the lame TV ads where Billy Bob saved $5,100 using CarShield or whatever, but they don't seem to factor in/mention the initial cost/deductible(s) for him to get that coverage. Have seen some coverage that allows you to pay as you go as in only monthly, but those companies also got poor reviews with their parts coverage, in-network mechanics being required, that sort of thing.

I paid about $2200 for a Mopar MaxCare Lifetime warranty when I purchased my JGC in '13. Now, at 9 years old and 80k, I've only recovered about $300 on an oil pressure sensor repair. However, I'll likely keep it for another 80,000 miles and make use of it.

AFAIK, Mopar extended warranties now max out at 8 year/125k. Lifetimes are no longer offered.

For an 85,000 mile 4 year old vehicle that would be covered out to 160,000 miles and literally covers EVERYTHING, I don’t think it’s that unreasonable. I’d get the added care though, that’s a more reasonable $3,000 for that specific vehicle, it just doesn’t cover things like heated seats.

I can't help with a recommendation but you are going to open a can of worms. If you ever inquire with a provider you will be bombarded with spam calls from every warranty provider for the rest of your life. All I can say is good luck.
10 minutes after Alexander Grahm Bell made the first telephone call, he received his first phone call. He was told that his car warranty was expiring.

This thread made me think about my 2017 Nissan Titan because its warranty is expiring in December. It came with a 100k, five year bumper-to-bumper, which was one of the reasons I choose it over other options. I only use it to tow my boat so it just has 32k, but so far I’ve not needed any warranty work…but in the back of my mind are all those horror stories about Nissan transmissions taking a dump long before the rest of the vehicle wears out.

We’re AAA members so I called to inquire about their extended warranty. 4 years or 48K would be around $2200 for silver (basic power train) and add a couple hundred bucks to cover the audio system and other electronics. Mine’s a very basic trim so I don’t have touchscreens or navigation. I think if the audio ever died I would just splurge for a nice aftermarket unit.

I’m semi-seriously considering adding four years when the warranty expires in December.

Back