Are some manufacturers OEM rim hard to balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never had an issue having balancing done with small weights, like 50 (ounces?? marked on the weight - not sure of the units ) or less weights on each wheel with 90 and newer Toyotas./ Hondas.
was in Costco with a 99 Nissan and the service manager said some rims really varied by who made them as far as how much weight is needed.
He said highlander alloy factory rims with michelins took small weights but he said some Nissan rims were hard to balance with small weights, he mentioned Muranos and Titans.
Any opinions?

I seem to remember some of the Nissan truck wheels being hard to balance when I did tires.

The Mercedes wheels that were chromed after the cars were sold, which is popular here, were very hard to balance. The chrome coating would peel off in sheets and it was next to impossible to get sticky weights to stay on.

50 would be grams which would be about 2 oz and sort of a lot of weight, actually.

They make different rim profiles/ lips and some rims only have a lip on the inside, or none at all, which requires sticky weights.

Depending on the rim's shape, the outboard sticky weights are inboard and closer to the hub where it takes more weight to have the same effect. Also if they have fancy spokes add'l effort will be needed to split and hide those sticky weights.

the 50 was total weight on the tire for both inside and outside weights added together on the wheel/rim, most of my other tires have less than than 40 total

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back