are rebuilt alternators good?

I just replaced an Ultima remanufactured alternator (from Oreilly's Auto Parts ) in a 2005 Ford Focus under warranty. It quit generating voltage. I also noticed a slight bearing noise after removing it. It lasted about 3 years / approx 30k miles. Not great and yes I have seen worse.

Last edited:
I rebuilt my alternator myself with a kit on my 2001 Sable. This was two years ago. The parts cost $60.
Did that include bearings? Or just the brushes, rectifier and regulator? How did the surface of the commutator look?

My understanding from the shop I use is that they turn the commutator and do the bearings. For $105, cash. So, if there’s a $45 delta between what I can do, and what they do, but they include pressing bearings, and turn if necessary, that extra $45 seems like a good value for the money spent.

That said, I did just a set of brushes and rectifier/regulator on my old Volvo many years ago, and that alternator soldiered on until I sold the car, so, perhaps that’s all that is needed...

This included everything... new rotor, bearings, commutator, brushes, rectifier, and regulator. I couldn't have done it without the accompanying YouTube video showing how to replace the parts. I had access to good presses at work.

https://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/product/4g/

The commutator was half-worn. There was a lot of narrative on the internet how the commutators on these units would wear through after 100K. I had 110K, so I went ahead and proactively replaced it on my winter car when it was down for the summer. I didn't want to be caught on a road trip with the alternator go out on me like it did once.

This included everything... new rotor, bearings, commutator, brushes, rectifier, and regulator. I couldn't have done it without the accompanying YouTube video showing how to replace the parts. I had access to good presses at work.

https://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/product/4g/

The commutator was half-worn. There was a lot of narrative on the internet how the commutators on these units would wear through after 100K. I had 110K, so I went ahead and proactively replaced it on my winter car when it was down for the summer. I didn't want to be caught on a road trip with the alternator go out on me like it did once.
I paid about $110 for mine on a 2001 Ford Taurus (Duratec) and that was a rebuilt one from Advance Auto with a lifetime warranty. Bought it online so I always had the receipt. Replaced it three times, I think the first time was around 90k and the second was in the 150-180 range and the last time was a tad over 200 when I had some electrical problems but it turned out it wasn't the alternator but the replacements were free.

If you can wait a few days R.A. is always a good/cheaper alternative.
I always add a few oil filters when I can if shipping from the same warehouse.

If you can wait a few days R.A. is always a good/cheaper alternative.
I always add a few oil filters when I can if shipping from the same warehouse.
It's not cheaper if you have to ship it back to them to get a warranty replacement. Or wait for them to ship you one.

Bought a reman REMY alternator for my old 1999 Deville. A few weeks after installation, it developed a bearing nose.

Then after a year, it wouldn't charge properly when the lights were on. The battery voltage would slowly dip down to 12.6V. But during the day it would charge okay.

For fun, I decided the buy a used OEM alternator with 44K miles from car-part.com. I put it on the car and the voltage never went below 13. And the bearing noise was gone

Some of chain the auto parts stores sell a "pro" model new alternator made in Asia as an alternative to their reman for a bit more. The pro model that I saw at Advance Auto Parts was made in Malaysia. I have no idea if they are the same mfg as Remy. They do have the store "limited lifetime" warranty but not all stores have them in stock (not a big selling item ? ) so returning one for warranty replacement could be difficult depending on location. Are they better than the remanufactured units (usually remaned in Mexico) that they sell ?

Last edited:
Toyota sells almost every part of my alternator separately. I’m confident to change brushes and if I had the tools and skill to do the bearings I would try it before buying new or rebuilt. I can’t find any rebuild shop near me unfortunately. I seem to remember plenty when I was a kid.

811492AD-0C37-48DB-B7E5-345B11966EBC.jpeg

Even better, find the local guy that does truck rebuilds.
He will have the right test stuff, and probably the parts for medium and heavy duty.
I took my Durango stuff off at 150K, got both done for $30 by a local pro.

Back