are people using leds as daytime running lights?

They don't hurt my eyes, but it's still very noticible. I'm just saying these are the same people that roll around at night time blinding everyone. Think about it if it's that bright at daytime.
That’s the whole point of day time running lights. So vehicles are more noticeable during the day. It has been studied for in various countries and DRLs have been proven to work.

What you don’t get is that DRLs usually run the high beam bulbs at 50% the voltage.
So your assumption that these lights are blinding people at night is wrong, well unless the idiots actually drive with the high beams on at night with traffic around them.

Plenty of people complain about bright vehicle lights. I think it's more area specific though. If you live in the city with street lights every 100ft it's not as noticeable compared to a 2 lane back road with no street lights.
Are these people living within hilly terrain? If the road's basically flat surface, I never encounter a problem unless someone's truck sits high or headlight brights are on.

Modern headlights are blinding people at night. Here in the UK it's recently become a news story so it's not just my tired old eyes or imagination. It's become a recognised problem and there is a campaign to tighten up on the regulations and limit the power of led headlights.

On day time running lights I get that they are a good safety feature but full power headlights is not the way to do it. They should have separate DRL's or the feature we had some years back which was Dim-dip head lights where they were run at half voltage for day time use. I think that's no longer permitted under EU regulations because my old car had the feature and my current one doesn't.

I put LED high beam's in my Accord. It uses the high beams dimmed down as the DRL. The LED's don't dim so just do that full bright flicker strobe effect. They are also very bright. I had the same issue in my daughters CRV that we put LED H4's in. Difference is I know that and it annoys me when others do it so I pulled the DRL fuse and we both use our parking lights with the fog lights on.

On the list is to add the DRL-1 to both vehicles so it uses the brighter turn signals as DRL.

Add on (i.e. aftermarket) LED lights are a problem. They are rarely aimed correctly and the glare is blinding. I have been known to wear my sunglasses at night to try and preserve my night vision. And sometimes factory LED lights are not much better. I had a Rivian behind me (way behind) on the highway and its lights were crazy bright... I had to move my mirrors. Police car emergency lights are even worse, I think they might actually be bright enough to cause damage.

I usually flash my high beams at drivers with bad LED's, but I don't know that they "get it".

Add on (i.e. aftermarket) LED lights are a problem. They are rarely aimed correctly and the glare is blinding. I have been known to wear my sunglasses at night to try and preserve my night vision. And sometimes factory LED lights are not much better. I had a Rivian behind me (way behind) on the highway and its lights were crazy bright... I had to move my mirrors. Police car emergency lights are even worse, I think they might actually be bright enough to cause damage.

I usually flash my high beams at drivers with bad LED's, but I don't know that they "get it".

Police car emergency lights typically have a night and a day setting. The night setting is a little bit dimmer. I remember when they first put those led light bars on cop cars, you couldn't anything trying to drive past a cop car stopped on the side of the road. I think they fixed that issue after a year or so because I'm sure the cops didn't like it either. Not really safe when they show up to an active shooter scene and they can't see who even has a gun lol But yes, that's what i'm getting at is it's usually someone with some aftermarket headlights on.

The halogen people in older cars are mad at the people in the fancy new LED cars and just "fighting back" with all 55w they can manage through the faded headlight of an 03 Taurus.
Newer Honda/Acura cars take the cake on absolutely terribly designed LED units. Those things always find a way to blind oncoming drivers. I dont know if its cause they are fixed units or what, but hurts me eyes!

Newer Honda/Acura cars take the cake on absolutely terribly designed LED units. Those things always find a way to blind oncoming drivers. I dont know if its cause they are fixed units or what, but hurts me eyes!
I agree, 2020 CRV here and I've received high beams from other drivers when just driving on my lows. I don't have this issue with the 21 Pilot but I have seen this on other Honda vehicles as well.

The DRLs on my Armada are Purpose desigend DRLs that are LEDs but do not use the headlights but an L shape bezer around them.
I never get flashed they are obvious DRLs

Some drivers just drive with their highbeams on 24/7
This is usually not malice but ignorance.
I once dated a girl when I told her her high beaams are on, she was like "yes so I can see better".
She had no idea you were not supposed to as it blinds other traffic.

The DRLs on my Armada are Purpose desigend DRLs that are LEDs but do not use the headlights but an L shape bezer around them.
I never get flashed they are obvious DRLs

Some drivers just drive with their highbeams on 24/7
This is usually not malice but ignorance.
I once dated a girl when I told her her high beaams are on, she was like "yes so I can see better".
She had no idea you were not supposed to as it blinds other traffic.
There are also some auto high beam systems that keep the brights on at the wrong time.

Guilty as charged 😂
As long as your not that lifted jeep or clapped out ody with 4 sets of light bars, full reflector led main and fog light retrofits, a couple of pod mounted led spot or search lights you are fine.

Oh i forgot, they also mount pods lights in the spare holder/rear so they can be seen

As long as your not that lifted jeep or clapped out ody with 4 sets of light bars, full reflector led main and fog light retrofits, a couple of pod mounted led spot or search lights you are fine.

Oh i forgot, they also mount pods lights in the spare holder/rear so they can be seen
I drive my beater sometimes at night with it's yellowed faded headlights with the original 55 watt bulbs it's like driving with two candles out front

Back