Are new fuel pumps tested?

D60

In this case a friend received a new ATV fuel pump that he says smells strongly of fuel. Both he and I suspect used/return, but it got me wondering if new fuel pumps are ever tested?

Maybe they can test action with something other than gas?

I ask because sometimes you'll see manufacturers claim every radiator is pressure tested (easy to do with air), or I've received p/s pumps or steering racks that specifically say not to panic if you find drops of fluid as it's left over from testing.

Finally, I know shipping and transport might seem like a safety concern, but if there's no liquid gasoline remaining I'm not sure it would technically be illegal? Even though it's the vapors that are flammable, would it be illegal to ship something that smells like gas but contains no liquid gas??

For electric pumps maybe they just briefly power them on to make sure it does something? But if so, are mechanical pumps tested as SOP?

doubt it. you likely got someones return
Not looking for reasons to think this was anything else.

Just asking a broader question about something that made me legitimately curious.

Perhaps they just pull one every hundred or one every fifty and test it then discard it. But that's speculation.

Just asking a broader question about something that made me legitimately curious.

Perhaps they just pull one every hundred or one every fifty and test it then discard it. But that's speculation.
Spent my life in manufacturing. There would be no real need for a final functional test of a fuel pump. If a electrical test confirms the pump spins with the proper electrical parameters, and the pump pressure tests, you don't need to run fluid through it to prove it works.

Now having said that, I have never worked on a line that made fuel pumps, so?

• Wow
Reactions: D60

They wouldn't use actual fuel to test them, fire and safety hazard.

I’m getting Deja vu, as I recall someone asking this before. 😉

No, you got a used return. Even if they did test they have to have some fluid that they use that’s not flammable yet doesn’t harm the pump. Not being in the fuel pump manufacturing business, I’m not absolutely sure either.

But did the pump work?

I'm wondering if an electrical bench test is sufficient to confirm the pump will work before packaging for sale? Of course no-load v. load on the pump might make a difference.

I returned an unused, plastic gas container to the local Ace Hardware. Three people gave it the sniff test to confirm it wasn't used before giving me my refund.

• Love
I'm wondering if an electrical bench test is sufficient to confirm the pump will work before packaging for sale? Of course no-load v. load on the pump might make a difference.

I returned an unused, plastic gas container to the local Ace Hardware. Three people gave it the sniff test to confirm it wasn't used before giving me my refund.
I agree it's likely just electrical.

Still, I want to believe they pressure test a small sample. 1 every 1000.....or even 1 every 10,000 production units. I'm sure those units are just discarded and considered the cost of business.

I mean if you ONLY test electrical you would never catch flaws that might creep into impeller manufacturing, or a check valve ..... or something

Based on experience I'm pretty sure they never test fuel level float resistance ;) Most aftermarket pump assys wind up with inaccurate fuel gauges :(

Are new fuel pumps tested?​

grumpy-cat-no-5-300x194.jpg

In case it's not already obvious, YOU are the quality control for cheap junk from China, and have been for years.

I agree it's likely just electrical.

Still, I want to believe they pressure test a small sample. 1 every 1000.....or even 1 every 10,000 production units. I'm sure those units are just discarded and considered the cost of business.

I mean if you ONLY test electrical you would never catch flaws that might creep into impeller manufacturing, or a check valve ..... or something

Based on experience I'm pretty sure they never test fuel level float resistance ;) Most aftermarket pump assys wind up with inaccurate fuel gauges :(
I worked as an engineer in manufacturing and worked in and with quality assurance, reliability and quality control.
There will be multiple test performed on this type of unit. The rel testing will involve harsh environmental testing and temp cycling - that will be a smaller sample - and possibly only a design validation stress test and possibly certain revision change test on this type of component. These units will be reserved for a product cycle or destroyed.
You will have tests in the production line on the motor operation - likely 100%. Then multiple visual checks by line production workers and QC inspectors. A smaller sample will likely be tested for pressure and volume using a non flammable or low VOC recoverable fluid such as ethanol and water - or USP mineral oil - these tested production line samples will be shipped.

If you got a pump with strong fuel odor, you for certain got a customer return; and if this part was required to a parts counter it should not have been accepted.

Arco

• Helpful
Back