Are Lucas Oil Products Really That Bad ??

Only Lucas product I use, good styuff. (y)
900-696_A_V1.jpg

Lucas Oil is mostly marketing with very little R&D. They use a massive marketing campaign to sell their products instead of making a quality product that can sell itself. They know that 98% of the population couldn't you the difference between engine oil and olive oil, and they make bank on that... which is why they will never get a penny from me.

Do we have any VOA's on LUCAS Oil Stabilizer in the history/search on BITOG?
I've looked and can't find any. I do remember BOB's original post of how it FOAMS UP when agitated.

Do we have any VOA's on LUCAS Oil Stabilizer in the history/search on BITOG?
I've looked and can't find any. I do remember BOB's original post of how it FOAMS UP when agitated.

The Lucas power steering stop leak also works great it stopped a steering leak in my Kubota tractor.

I use this stuff fairly often. https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treatments/lucas-fuel-treatment
I wouldn’t have a problem using any of their other fuel additives.
All their fuel treatment is is upper cylinder lube. Mostly useless.

Lucas Deep Clean is a PEA based cleaner. It is very good. Lucas UCL has polyisobutylene (PIB) and polyisobutylene succinic anhydride (PIBSA). Both compounds are dispersants and detergents. I use both products.
I don't see any evidence the UCL has those compounds.
The deep clean does have PEA, but less than Redline, Gumout, Techron...so why bother?

That's my issue with their products, they are either not useful at all or not even close to the best out there.
So, why bother?

Racers up the street from me seem like the stuff and use it, other just add Lunati Engine Break in Additve to whatever oil.

Lucas Professional products are no joke, it is unfortunate about their snake oil
junk.
Take a gander at LUCAS 5W30 Synthetic Racing oil TDS below. It might even make for a good Frankenbrew - a "booster" with some M1 10W30 ? (Yes, I see the SAE viscosity out of range. May be a typo as their Synthetic 10W30 is in the 11's)

I know there hasnt been a post in a while, but I want to add my $.02.

Everyone has their own opinions on any products. You will see lovers and haters for all of them. I just know that I have been running the HDOS for the last 5 years year-round and have never seen issues. This oil change I did just a week ago included a quart of the PSOS that I am going to use during the winters now. I buy it in the gallon jugs online. Works out to be cheaper that way. Ive heard from mechanics who have worked on the inside of engines where either stabilizer was used, and it really does cling to the internals like it is said to. The parts are often so slick that it is difficult to hang on to them. I say use it. Or dont. That is up to the person. Dont let the haters get to you.

Lucas Oil is mostly marketing with very little R&D. They use a massive marketing campaign to sell their products instead of making a quality product that can sell itself. They know that 98% of the population couldn't you the difference between engine oil and olive oil, and they make bank on that... which is why they will never get a penny from me.
Exactly.

My complaint with Lucas, after analyzing many of their lubricants, is they seem to undertreat their base oils, that is, they have low (stingy?) DI additive levels compared to mainstream lubricant companies.

Last edited:

Everyone has their own opinions on any products. You will see lovers and haters for all of them. I just know that I have been running the HDOS for the last 5 years year-round and have never seen issues. This oil change I did just a week ago included a quart of the PSOS that I am going to use during the winters now. I buy it in the gallon jugs online. Works out to be cheaper that way. Ive heard from mechanics who have worked on the inside of engines where either stabilizer was used, and it really does cling to the internals like it is said to. The parts are often so slick that it is difficult to hang on to them. I say use it. Or dont. That is up to the person. Dont let the haters get to you.
"Never seen issues" is not a preponderance of proof. It is not a profession of merit for the product, simply an anecdote that it has not caused harm. That is setting the bar extremely low.

What has been presented here over the many, MANY threads on Lucas are not *opinions* on the product or its make-up for the most part. We have an extremely good idea of what is, and isn't, in their "oil stabilizer". Using that knowledge, the educated statements made about its capabilities are well-based, as is the well-warranted torpedoing of the numerous, and outlandish, marketing claims.

If engine oil benefited from having bar oil tackifier in it, it would be included. It's not, because it isn't. Along those same lines, we don't use Group I base oils any more, even though they are quite polar, because they have horrendous cold and hot temperature performance, break down rapidly and produce deposits. Those two products, plus a boatload of VII plastic are the constituents of Lucas "Oil Stabilizer". The irony in the fact that these components will actually make the product less robust will hopefully not be lost on the audience.

This isn't about "haters" or other such juvenile nonsense. It's about many people getting taken for a ride and through education, hopefully reducing that number.

It's funny this came up, I bought a 99 Dodge Ram 318 about 16 years ago it had 80,000 miles on it, always change the oil about every 3000 miles using 10w30 or 10w40 Valvoline conventional oil, I always put Lucas Oil stabilizer in it, all the sudden around 180,000 miles, starts running rough engine light comes on. I checked for codes misfire cyl. 6, long story short.. it was a burnt valve.. and I always wondered if it was the fault of Lucas. Because that truck was always very well maintained, highway mileage..

Regular oil clings to engine parts just as easily. I just don't see the point of using an additive free thickener with no winter rating when things like 5w50 or even 10w60 exist.

Most people here hate any kind of additives to begin with. So most additive companies get no love.

Lucas is no different.
I'd not paint that generalization with so broad a brush. There was a thread here a while back about additive use, and many members jumped in with what they used.

One or two people (including you!) gave me a sad face when I mentioned that I don't use additives.

I'd not paint that generalization with so broad a brush. There was a thread here a while back about additive use, and many members jumped in with what they used.

One or two people (including you!) gave me a sad face when I mentioned that I don't use additives.
I just gave you another one for dwelling on it...Nothing to get your knickers all wadded up over.
I can't remember the last time I ever used an additive for anything.
But wouldn't rule it out.
Top of the morning to ya.

Had a mid-80's Buick with the dreaded "morning sickness" power steering issue. A relative of mine who is a professional mechanic said that the Lucas power steering additive may fix it. Sure enough, it did.

I haven't used additives in decades . Never owned a vehicle that burned oil or had a mechanical failure of the engine .

Power steering additive saved me a few months on a leaky rack. Gun oil is great. Use the ucl stuff when it's on sale, not sure if it works. They have a great racing sponsor presence. Like their circle track races.

Forrest Lucas seems to be a little eccentric, and I think his company kind of reflects that. Which tends to turn off a lot of the types who frequent a site like this, who are after objective data and want to cut through decades of old wives tales surrounding oil and auto repair generally. He's like the crazy uncle who always tells you how the oil companies killed the guy who invented the 100 mpg carburetor or the car that runs on water. Take his story about getting into the oil business (https://www.foxnews.com/transcript/forrest-lucas-shares-his-rags-to-riches-story):

LUCAS: We were coming across the desert all the time. You know, it's hot and is really hard on the trucks. It was hard on the motors, hard on the gearboxes. We didn't have air conditioners, so it's hard on the drivers, too.

I started looking around the additives. What can we do to put in here to make this all better? And I found some stuff that was on the market. That was better than nothing.

So okay, I kept looking for more and more and I found a guy who had a little sort of a trash company there where if you were leaving town and you had to get rid of your oil, they would come in and take it or they would buy it or you'd pay them to take it or whatever.
But this guy knew a lot about oil. I was in there talking to him things, mostly oil. At the time, I had made it up for hours, I thought it was as good as I could get it. It was pretty darn good stuff.

But one day, I said, I was looking for something else and I said, this is what wanted it for, and he said I've got it down here, I think just what you want and he showed me the rest of the barrel and I read some writing on it and I said, I didn't know this was ever made yet, it hadn't even been invented, and I took the lid off and I said, holy cow this is it. This is what I'm looking for.

So basically, an old man showed him some magic oil in a junkyard, and that revolutionized the industry. The company was founded on a BS product and many will never be able to look past that. That said, he's apparently been smart or lucky enough to get people on board who have developed (or more likely, sourced) some decent products. Not sure I'd go out of my way for their motor oil, but I use their gear oil since it is the most available 75W-140 in gallons or larger for me. And their grease seems to be as good as anything widely available at a moderate price point.

Back