Are Hyundai/Kia parts harder to find than Toyota and Honda?

I've never owned a Toyota or Honda, but have never had a problem with parts since first owning a Hyundai in 2007.

I never had any issues finding parts for my wife's Santa's Fe.
Needed an oil control valve once that wasn't in stock but advance got it from another store within a few hours.

There is a place you can go online called Google and type in "Hyundai or Kia dealers" and miraculously you get a list of Hyundai or Kia dealers where you can find all the Hyundai or Kia parts you could want. Welcome to 1999.

Yes, I am aware of that. I meant aftermarket parts availability.

I can get everything on your list at my local O'Reillys store by 12 pm today. May not like manufacturer choice or price, but these items are available. YMMV. Only item I could not get for my Santa Fe was a replacement charcoal canister damaged in a minor collision. Dealer needed one week to obtain it.

Yes. Plenty of aftermarket replacement parts, you might not be able to get an aftermarket A/C condenser for a 1990 Hyundai Pony on a autozone shelf but for most pseudo modern stuff it will not be a problem and worst case will have to be ordered in from a local warehouse to your store for pick up next day. Rock auto is your friend though.

There’s really no aftermarket parts for my 2018 Sonata. Not even sure if auto parts stores have aftermarket struts yet.

There’s really no aftermarket parts for my 2018 Sonata. Not even sure if auto parts stores have aftermarket struts yet.
I looked on rock auto for 18 sonatas and while aftermarket stuff isn’t as ubiquitous as 1/2 ton domestic pickup trucks. It seems there is a decent amount of aftermarket parts op was asking about (a/c condenser, brake components) maybe factory struts are Monroe but they seemed priced similarly to what aftermarket struts would cost for the model of car I looked up.

I have a Genesis Coupe which was not as common and only in production for a few years. Definitely concerned about getting parts in the future.

Your 2018 still relatively new.
And if you have issues, most 2018 Sonatas are still under factory warranty.
The aftermarket won't gear up for those for another year or so.

Check older Sonatas for replacement parts and you will find aftermarket parts.

I checked for a 2013 Sonata, which I once owned, and there is a very good selection on Rockauto.

Just for fun I tried finding parts for a 2015 Sonata. The parts stores have the same limited aftermarket market parts for the 2015 model as they do the 2018 model. I’ve been told from several mechanics throughout the years that Hyundai parts are much harder to locate. The aftermarket support is much more limited for Hyundai/Kia.

From a business aspect I guess it makes sense. I rarely see a Hyundai/Kia model on the road that is over 15 years old so there just isn’t much incentive to offer aftermarket parts if they won’t sell a lot of parts.

I looked on rock auto for 18 sonatas and while aftermarket stuff isn’t as ubiquitous as 1/2 ton domestic pickup trucks. It seems there is a decent amount of aftermarket parts op was asking about (a/c condenser, brake components) maybe factory struts are Monroe but they seemed priced similarly to what aftermarket struts would cost for the model of car I looked up.
18s are still under warranty. Usually when the cars are a few years old, aftermarket parts ramp up. I know you can find anything on Rockauto, but if you use your car everyday for commuting, you can't afford to wait 3-4 days for parts. That's why I was wondering about local parts availability.

Just for fun I tried finding parts for a 2015 Sonata. The parts stores have the same limited aftermarket market parts for the 2015 model as they do the 2018 model. I’ve been told from several mechanics throughout the years that Hyundai parts are much harder to locate. The aftermarket support is much more limited for Hyundai/Kia.

From a business aspect I guess it makes sense. I rarely see a Hyundai/Kia model on the road that is over 15 years old so there just isn’t much incentive to offer aftermarket parts if they won’t sell a lot of parts.
That is a very good observation. Trying to find a used Hyundai for sale 10 years or older, is very rare.

courier at work had an elantra with 580000 miles on it.. after that I guess she probably junked it ;p

iirc it had org. motor, but second transmission first was warrantied.

Yes. They can be found at the dealership and any parts stores and RockAuto. Never had any issues finding parts for any of those or anything.

Back