Are full-size cargo vans easy to work on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening all,

I'm looking for a used full-size cargo van to replace my current 07 Ford Ranger in my sig. The van will be a daily driver and mostly using for towing a small pop up camper in summer (camper weighs around 1300lbs, but might upgrade to a hybrid trailer in few years, nothing more than 4000lb). We just like the spacious interior and the convenience to load/unload everything with the van. Due to the budget, the van will likely be somewhere between 10~15 years old so some repairs are a must. These vans look like they don't have a lot of engine spaces from outside, but I've never worked on these before so I have no idea. I'm only interested in the Chevy Express 1500 version, with the 4.3 v6 or 4.8 v8.

And since I'm already here, is there anything I should be looking for? Just some information I live in the salt belt with often -35c harsh winter..

Thanks in advance!!

Chevy has been making the same express forever so parts should be plentiful. I drive them at work and i like the way they ride. The seats are super comfortable. Idk but i think the cover comes off the engine from inside the cab so it can theoretically be easier to work on then the ranger.

Last edited:
No....They are not compared to a full size truck.

When I work on a van, It's usually a company/fleet vehicle driven by a slob.....So you have to clean all the crap out of the way before taking the Doghouse off. Only adds to the frustration.

Owning a 1990 Ford econoline when I was a teen with a 4.9 and currently an f150 with the same engine I think the truck is much easier. The doghouse makes some things really nice that you don't get in the truck like changing the pcv valve but that's about it.

My parents had a 2007 Chevy Express, 5.3l L7, I think, until recently.

- working on anything engine related was a PITA.

- AC system on these is not robust, and may need work by now on an older one. Was not fun, or that cheap.

Those things said, it was really a good vehicle. It required little maintenance, it got surprisingly good mileage. It drove very easily - interstate, or even around town ( drove in downtown Seattle multiple times). It towed really nicely. It was comfortable carried a lot of people and gear easily, and reliable.

So engine work is not very fun, but there are other virtues to it and if looking sharp isn't high on the priority list, I like them. My dad only gave it up as he was getting older and driving it was getting more difficult for him. It was a valued " tool in the shed" and very often borrowed by trusted neighbors, myself, etc. We live in a no-salt zone, so I don't now how that my factor in to how well one would be now in that climate.

It is WAY overkill for towing 1,300lbs - you might get something much more efficient in a smaller SUV if that's all you are looking to tow. I have towed loads from 1,200 lbs (trailer and one motorcycle) to 5,600lbs (flat trailer and SUV on it). I've also towed a lot of variable things (toy haulers, horses) with various vehicles, and if my goal was towing just 1,300 lbs and having some cargo space, I'd likely look for a smaller vehicle. I did actually use it as a daily driver when my SUV was down a while - it is a bit of a drag driving it every day and I would not do that long-term, myself. In that case I'd get a used Toyota Sequoia, LC, Tahoe, etc. instead if it had to be a DD.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the same thing, but going bigger (3500 Express or Savana 6.0 LS passenger van)-but I know the MPGs are going to be bad. I had a 4.3 Astro for a while which did OK on long trips, but was lucky to get 10-11 MPG in town (gearing?), and vans are not fun to work on. Usually pulling a seat seems to help, but you'll be on your stomach doing anything major.

Adding-you won't be thrilled if you try to pull a 4K trailer with a 4.3 Express, that was one of the primary reasons I sold my Astro, it couldn't handle any hills pulling it.

They can be a real PITA to work on, at least in the case of the Ford Econoline vans I owned and worked on over the years. A lot of times you'll find yourself crammed under the steering wheel laying on the floor trying to access parts. Engine cover removal and re-installation adds time to a project, and the contorted positions you'll find yourself in to access parts is no picnic either. But once you familiarize yourself with the obstacles you learn short cuts.

The NV3500 van might not be too bad since it has an actual hood, but vans of any sort are a PITA.

Especially ones with overhead cam engines or diesels.

Full size cargo vans are easier to work on than say a V12 Lamborghini. I have a 7.3 powerstroke econoline van and there is hardly any space to do anything. You can take the dog box off and have a great access to the turbo on the back though.

The GM vans are the way to go for anything new enough to have the 6 speed automatic. That wonderful LS is small and compact. For and old van, like 2001 2 valve ford econoline, those are pretty solid.

Originally Posted by dareo
Full size cargo vans are easier to work on than say a V12 Lamborghini. I have a 7.3 powerstroke econoline van and there is hardly any space to do anything. You can take the dog box off and have a great access to the turbo on the back though.

The GM vans are the way to go for anything new enough to have the 6 speed automatic. That wonderful LS is small and compact. For and old van, like 2001 2 valve ford econoline, those are pretty solid.

I always wanted a powerstroke van.

Its cool and all but doesn't get tremendous MPG vs a gasser, we run it 70-80 mph for fairly long distances and only get 17-18 mpg. Not tons better than a gas but it doesn't seem to care however much weight we throw in it.

Originally Posted by Miller88
The NV3500 van might not be too bad since it has an actual hood, but vans of any sort are a PITA.

Especially ones with overhead cam engines or diesels.

01.gif

The NV is the only big van with a real hood, and Nissan seems to be the only one that understands that the engine is supposed to go under the hood, not under the windshield or in the dash!

The Transit and Sprinter are different, European-style vans that a lot of people on here don't like. But the Nissan NV is easily the best traditional American-style van

Yeah, in laws get 10 years from the GM small block vans in commercial use … trade for another …
Been reliable for them …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back