Are Bridgestone tires safe and reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if Bridgestone tires, in general, are reliable?

I am curious because they own Firestone, and there was so much trouble with the Firestone Wilderness tires failing on Ford Explorers.

I don't know if the failures were due to Ford's "lower air pressure" suggestions, or a Firestone defect.

Any opinions?
Thanks in advance!

Bridgestone tire are good and reliable. I have been using them for years. Used to be a good value tire but now they have become a bit more expensive. I have used them on sedans, minivans and had great experience with them. They also make great snowtires.

The Firestone thing was probably due to Ford recommending low pressure but I don't really know.

the oe bridgestone's i've had (re92) suck, but the firestone sh30 was a great tire.

they do make some good tires, but you do have to do some research.

and keep them properly inflated...

Bridgestone's are great. Their performance and touring tires are especially good.

Firestone's are fine too. I have a set of Firehawk Indy 500's on my truck and it hasn't flipped or crashed yet.

Ford and the design of the Explorer had a lot to do with the Firestone tire failures. As did production of defective tires in one particular Firestone plant.

Here's an article from Time magazine discussing the broader issues: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,128198,00.html

3rd set of Bridgestone Duelers on my 4WDs, all of them lasted well over 50,000 miles of rough, nasty roads under severe heat and sometimes load. They are pretty good, outlasted my GoodYear Wranglers far more.

I wouldn't have a set of Bridgestone/Firestone tires on my vehicle if my life depended on it...AND they do!The older people on this site will remember the Firestone 721 mess.I had a set on a Dodge family conversion van back in the 70's.The entire tread ripped off the tire on the highway.Luckily it was in the rear or I probably wouldn't be telling this story now.Same thing happened a couple years ago with the Wilderness tires and Explorers...they might have good tires out there but I'm not risking my life or my familie's life again with Firestone tires...too many other brands out there to pick from that I have used with-out tread separation being the deciding factor to buy new tires!

I have gone through 4 sets of Bridgestone S03 tires on the track with my Ferrari--they are great, but the Michelins PS2s have eclipsed them for track use.

My wife has had a set of RE950s for 1.5 years and likes them a lot more than the previous tires she had.

I just bought a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's for my Explorer.
Great tire.
No fear.
smile.gif

Reliable tires yes.

Do your research on the particular model your interested in. Like all tire manufacturers they make junk (ie RE92's OEM on our Subaru's) and they make delightful one like the Turanza in the H speed ratings and up.

quote:

Originally posted by tuong:
im a firm believer in bridgestones. best tires i ever own were S03. im going with RE 750 next.

You'll find the 750s wear better and are nice and linear but not nearly as sticky.

I've been perfectly happy with the Bridgestone Dueler AT's on my pickup trucks, partucularly the REVO version I'm currently running.

As always though, review the particular tire you want, as I've heard mixed reviews of the Dueler HT tires for street use...

quote:

Originally posted by abimanyu:
Check www.tirerack.com.

the most underrated tires is from Avon. I was skeptical at first,it was a leap of faith because I read the reviews. For the price/performance, they are hard to beat. I'm not a race car driver and I drive very smooth, no aggressiveness, so I researched the quietest tire that they have at www.tirerack.com and came up with the avons. I don't know how they fare with SUV's but on my cars, they are great!!!!!

I believe Avons are Cooper tires.
Or the company was bought by Cooper.

Have Bridgestone Revo's on one truck and regular Dueler A/T's on the other - great tires, have ran several sets.

I copy "Greaser's" opinion, but only in regards to Goodyear tires - you couldn't give me a set, will NEVER have them again. Two were out of round in less then 10K miles, horrible HORRIBLE traction, and detrimentally scary on rain, snow, etc - that was the Goodyear Wrangler A/T's.

Also had them on my sister's minivan, 3 blowouts in 7K miles, 1 out of round at 13K miles, can't remember which particular tire, but they came off at 15K miles and I fought with them - got our money back.

I am a BF Goodrich guy (6 out of 8 vehicles).

But I know Bridgestones are GREAT truck tires. My son was lucky enough to get them on his CPO Z71 Silverado, excellent on and off-road.

Also, on motorhome forums, people always seem to be ******* and moaning about poor handling with Michelins, then are happy and satisfied when they switch to Bridgestones.

Check www.tirerack.com.

the most underrated tires is from Avon. I was skeptical at first,it was a leap of faith because I read the reviews. For the price/performance, they are hard to beat. I'm not a race car driver and I drive very smooth, no aggressiveness, so I researched the quietest tire that they have at www.tirerack.com and came up with the avons. I don't know how they fare with SUV's but on my cars, they are great!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back