Are block heaters necessary with synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a lot of people tell me that block heaters are no longer required if you use a good synthetic oil. But are they right or wrong? My Tacoma doesn't even have one, but I use M1 AFE 0W-30 in it, and it can get as low as -20 here in winter and even colder at times. It's parked outside as I don't have the luxury of a garage, would it be a good idea to have a block heater installed or is running a 0W grade make that null and void? I've had the rig going into my 4th winter now and haven't had any troubles starting it at all but can definitely tell it's trying harder on those real cold mornings.

If you have a very robust battery and your drive is long enough to fully recharge it, no. It will improve starting and reduce wear a bit however.

Depends on how long you plan on keeping the vehicle.

coffee2.gif

The oldest vehicle I own is a 4Runner with the same engine as your Tacoma. I've owned it since new, and have always run synthetic oil since 5k miles. I also installed an OEM block heater when it was about a month old. Anytime I know I will be driving it, and the temps will be below say 15° F, I'll plug in the block heater to a timer set 3 or so hours before I'll be starting it. It starts easy, the engine will go into closed-loop operation much more quickly, and the heater/defroster will work almost immediately.

I have started it in approx, -40° temps. without plugging in the block heater, and it still starts fine if a bit sluggishly , but it takes much longer for the engine to reach closed-loop operation, and have heat due to the coolant reaching normal operating temperature.

In short: A block heater in your Tacoma would be nice to have for numerous reasons, but not absolutely necessary.

For me, it's not a question of "will it start" , ( it will) , it's a question of needless cold weather wear. Listen carefully to your running engine next time you start it in really cold weather and judge for yourself. I use 5w30 synthetic and plug it in with a timer so it's plugged in for a minimum of 3 hours on really cold days. If the temperature is below -5 degrees F it gets plugged in. If starting an engine at -20 F without plugging in gives you a sense of pride, you are on the wrong forum.

For those with no block heater, I would consider putting one in if you are doing starts at -20 F and below. It's small change compared to the other things some Bitgoers do to keep their engines in good shape such as using boutique oils, pre-oilers, auxiliary filters, snake oil additives, adding oil to their gasoline etc, etc. I've done plenty of starts at -20 F where plug ins are not available and it always starts, but I don't like doing it. For those in Miami and Houston, make sure you check your ground elevation before you park your car in a storm. There is an app for that.

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 02SE
The oldest vehicle I own is a 4Runner with the same engine as your Tacoma. I've owned it since new, and have always run synthetic oil since 5k miles. I also installed an OEM block heater when it was about a month old. Anytime I know I will be driving it, and the temps will be below say 15° F, I'll plug in the block heater to a timer set 3 or so hours before I'll be starting it. It starts easy, the engine will go into closed-loop operation much more quickly, and the heater/defroster will work almost immediately.

I have started it in approx, -40° temps. without plugging in the block heater, and it still starts fine if a bit sluggishly , but it takes much longer for the engine to reach closed-loop operation, and have heat due to the coolant reaching normal operating temperature.

In short: A block heater in your Tacoma would be nice to have for numerous reasons, but not absolutely necessary.

+1

As said yea your car will most likely start fine. But a block heater for those that hit single digit temp or lower will get it to warm up faster, extend its life, save gas, and warm you up faster as well. So seems like a win win all around for those in the much colder areas.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
As said yea your car will most likely start fine. But a block heater for those that hit single digit temp or lower will get it to warm up faster, extend its life, save gas, and warm you up faster as well. So seems like a win win all around for those in the much colder areas.

+1. My Caravan has the block heater and I use it on winter mornings, set in a timer for 2 hours before I leave for work. Makes it much nicer to get into. You will not regret using it.

If the vehicle I purchased came with it I would set a timer on it to come on a few hours before I left the house, it's definitely easier on the engine. When I drove a fleet vehicle for work I never plugged it in and it ran conventional oil and got by just fine. In fact the van my dad is driving was one of these fleet vans I purchased off the lease and it's still going with over 300K on conventional not being plugged in, in our cold winters.

Last edited:
I prefer to use remote start to warm up my cars instead of block heater. Few times I almost forgot it unplug it and that would've been a disaster, plus dealing with the cord, it can get wet or very stiff when cold etc. Too much hassle for southern Ontario temps.

Engine wear is never a problem if the oil MRV and CCS rated temps are not exceeded.

It's back to the old Bitogger Philosophy. All engines will wear out. Are you interested in 100,000 miles, 200,000 miles, or 300,000 miles and more. If the answer is 300,000 miles and more, you try avoid things that could give you extra wear. Starting your car at -20 F is one of those things.

Many folks believe most engine wear occurs during starts, and certainly cold starts are tough on engines, even if the oil is flowing. It's up to the individual if there is a concern. I've done starts at 40 below but the engine seems fine afterward. Wear occurs an accumulation of many miles, many starts etc. You do what you can to try make it to 300,000 miles without your engine becoming a oil burning, knocking piece of junk. If I can avoid a cold start I will. As I stated in a previous post, i don't plug in until -20 C (around -5 F). That's my cutoff. YRMV.
smile.gif

Last edited:
My 2015 Focus 1.0 came with one as standard equipment. Definitely helps the HVAC blow warm air quicker. It threads right into the block.

My old 1996 BMW 318ti would make some horrible noises when cold-soaked around -20F or colder. Near -30F it wouldn't start. Cranked, popped, sputtered.

If I were that worried about getting to 300K miles, I'd run a block heater any time the engine oil temp was below 40 degrees (Southern California type climate). For engine oil that normally operates at 180-240 deg F., ...it's not doing a good job starting under 40-100 deg F. Corrosion during startup occurs even at 40-160 deg F. So -20 degF, -10, 0, 10, 20, etc....it's all abusive in a way. If I had the block heater, I'd use it on most every startup.

Last edited:
My old BMW sat outside in northern Wisconsin and regularly started at temps of -25 F and below (BMW doesn't even make a block heater for that engine). I don't anticipate the engine having any issues making it to 300K, nor did my Sienna to 400K here in southeastern Wisconsin. One needs to pick an oil that has a "W" rating that is appropriate for the expected climate regardless of whether it is synthetic or not.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
If I were that worried about getting to 300K miles, I'd run a block heater any time the engine oil temp was below 40 degrees (Southern California type climate). For engine oil that normally operates at 180-240 deg F., ...it's not doing a good job under 100 deg F. Corrosion during startup occurs even at 40-160 deg F. So -20 degF, -10, 0, 10, 20, etc....it's all abusive in a way. If I had the block heater, I'd use it on most every startup.

I should have mentioned above, my Santa Fe didn't have a block heater and it survives 300K miles (535K KM) no issues.

Originally Posted by jongies3
...and haven't had any troubles starting it at all but can definitely tell it's trying harder on those real cold mornings.

What's "trying harder", the engine (how do you tell ?) or the battery ?

Originally Posted by StevieC
I should have mentioned above, my Santa Fe didn't have a block heater and it survives 300K miles (535K KM) no issues.

Plot twist, it'd still be on the road today if it had a block heater all those years.
crackmeup2.gif

I'm just giving you a hard time.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by StevieC

Plot twist, it'd still be on the road today if it had a block heater all those years.
crackmeup2.gif

I'm just giving you a hard time.

lol.gif
It was either that or the non-API licensed oil. I mean...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back