Archoil AR9100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a novice at oil additives but based on YouTube videos and Jay Leno's mechanics endorsement I was thinking about try this in my car.

Comments welcome

Thanks
John

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
I seem to remember Jay Leno used Redline Oil on everything. Guess now with him not working he had to cut costs and use something else?

He does the comedy circuit. He banked every penny he made on the Tonight Show and lives off the comedy circuit.

Last edited:
he does not have any kids; what is he going to do with all the money? since he is originally not too far from my home town, may be I should spend money tracking down our ancestry to see if we are anyway related :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
he does not have any kids; what is he going to do with all the money? since he is originally not too far from my home town, may be I should spend money tracking down our ancestry to see if we are anyway related :)

He also has a reputation as a cheapskate.
smile.gif

yeah, he is really cheap. Especially when he buys cars, eh?

It would seem by simple numbers that with millions of cars in millions of slightly different or radically different duty cycles that expecting only one grade of oil to address ALL needs by simply varying the OCI is a bit specious.

Just too many different things going on, do we all really believe one size does fit all?

Hence there is a market for additives...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
yeah, he is really cheap. Especially when he buys cars, eh?

It would seem by simple numbers that with millions of cars in millions of slightly different or radically different duty cycles that expecting only one grade of oil to address ALL needs by simply varying the OCI is a bit specious.

Just too many different things going on, do we all really believe one size does fit all?

Hence there is a market for additives...

Well said buddy. Some people speak about Jay Leno as if they know him. Looking at his car collection it appears to me he's anything but cheap. But then again if it was mentioned he's cheap in a rag magazine or the Internet it must be true.

One size fits all when it comes to oil, lets not go down that road. LOL A market for additives, another road we should avoid...........At least for now.

Originally Posted By: GTJohn
I am a novice at oil additives but based on YouTube videos and Jay Leno's mechanics endorsement I was thinking about try this in my car.

Comments welcome

Thanks
John

There's not a whole lot of feedback in regards to usage in gasoline engines. I have the 9100 in my truck right now because I was interested in their "lowered emissions" claim. While it did lower the emissions on the truck somewhat, it wasn't enough to pass. Truck runs well, just as it did prior to the 9100.

Most of AR9100's success has been with Powerstroke diesels in relieving a stiction issue common in the 6.0 engines.

My advice is to try it if you wish, but I think it's a bit too expensive. My opinion might be different if I had a 6.0 PSD, but that's my stance for now.

John I picked up a gallon of Archoil AR9100 last fall as well as a quart of Archoil AR6200 gas/diesel fuel additive.

We have two old 60 HP diesel engines (310B John Deere backhoe and 265 Massey Ferguson tractor) and many old gas vehicles.

The AR9100 by the gallon with shipping was
The 1989 F700 truck with the Lima 429 four barrel is the one engine I have notice a subjective positive change. It was showing 144K miles when we got it with NO history and very dirty oil and a NAPA Gold oil filter in 2010. We changed it out with Rotella 5W-40 and a new Wix's oil filter and the oil was black after one 200 mile round trip so we started doing Filter Only changes. After the third filter the Rotella T6 stayed relative clear for the 1000 miles it was in the crankcase when we changed it again in late 2014.

We had the the wooden bed floor replaced with 3/16" steel and built a temporary grain box inside of the 2' dirt/gravel sides so I could help my brother when he got in a bind shelling his corn and put 1000 miles on it going to the grain elevator 10 miles away.

Those were hard miles because one the first load my brother filled it completely which was a serious overload of 24,000 pounds of corn on a truck that is rated at 23,100 pounds and weights 13,000 empty.

The one thing that I noticed after a few hundred miles of working it very hard with a lot of WOT time is the old 429 would spin much faster when engaging the starter. This does not really make much sense to me unless the old big block had a lot of friction that the .037 friction modifier reduced.

A couple weeks ago we picked up a 2007 Dakota truck for the daughter that had 62K miles. The owner for the past 30K miles said mainly she drove it 8 miles to work. The Chevy dealership had changed the oil and used a 10W-30 GM oil they reported. It was very thick and almost black in color. I added the AR9100 to the crankcase but with single digit temps coming and the new oil black I had it changed out with Motorcraft 5W-20 after running the AR9100 for only 60 miles. I did add and run it the last 20 miles (trip to town to get the oil changed) with 8 oz of SeaFoam added to the crank case.

After 200 miles on the fresh oil change with the Archoil AR9100 added the oil is still relative clear but until when it set for a couple months on the dealer lot the min trip is now 30 miles if it moves. We have been snowed in for a week now and it has stayed parked since it is the newest thing on the place and bright white in color.
smile.gif

At just under $2 an ounce I plan to use Archoil AR9100 as a full time crankcase cleaner and oil friction modifier in every four cycle gas/diesel engine that we own. You use 1.12 oz per quart of engine oil capacity. We have engines that may set years without starting is also a factor in my decision to use Archoil products.

This additive is very interesting. I thought it was just another tufoil style additive, but after a little research, the nano molecule technology is intriguing. I'm going to do some more reading and may even try some here in the future. Thanks for the heads up OP!

jk I have been reading about it for a few years before I baited the hook with $$$$.
smile.gif
Other than the 'new' 2007 Dakota with 63K miles all of our stuff is old and the vehicles have 150-225K miles on them. This is the reason I decided to go with Archoil AR9100 in all oil changes in all four stroke gas/diesel engines. We will run the Archoil AR6200 in the fuel from time to time and all the time in the 2 cycle engines so they will be cleaned by an Archoil solution as well.

We have 10 machines with large engines and about the same number of 1-2 cylinder engines so a gallon of Archoil AR9100 should last us through 28 gallons of motor oil changing.

The kids just got their first vehicles and if the Archoil line of additives are as good as some users claim it will pay to use it so a three year test of AR9100 should rule it IN or OUT has a must have product. I think my daughter is as much of a potential gear head as her twin brother.
smile.gif

At this point in time I think a good quality dino motor oil plus AR9100 may be much superior to any high end Synthetic motor oil on the market today and at a lower cost per oil change.

PAO (Group IV) based motor oils are not as good as working with Group V (esters) like in Auto Rx cleaner/AR2300 cleaner or the combo cleaner/friction modifier AR9100 used by so many Ford diesel owners.

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins

At this point in time I think a good quality dino motor oil plus AR9100 may be much superior to any high end Synthetic motor oil on the market today and at a lower cost per oil change.

I realize that statement is your opinion. I would love to see some facts to back it up though. It would be very interesting to several of us I'm sure.

You and me both. Personally i wouldn't bet my engine on it. Every other peddler of Hexagonal BN makes the same claims, maybe they just put it in some ester.
This sounds like a Russian outfit that was peddling stuff some years ago.
Quote:
AR9300 contains over a dozen minerals including magnetic from the Ural Mountains in Russia,

Big whoop, that sounds a bit flaky.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins

I realize that statement is your opinion. I would love to see some facts to back it up though. It would be very interesting to several of us I'm sure.

I would like to see some facts too and wish I had a good set up to do some different testing.

The most I have read about the usage of Archoil AR9100 is on Ford Diesel forums postings made over the past four years.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1123418-archoil-products.html

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112382

Again my current overriding concerns is to save the 2003 GM 5.3L with the sticking oil pump pressure relief valve and to clean up the daughter's 'new' 2007 Dakota PU engine (3.7L with 63K miles and dirty looking oil 200 miles after new oil and filter service by the Chevy dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back