Aprilaire filter interval

For those running an Aprilaire air cleaner on their air handler (or similar...4" or 5" large surface filters) how long do you go between replacement filters? They all say "up to 12 months" but based on what they look like when I pull them out I end up doubting that is a realistic interval. I've run 9 months for the last couple but now am going to go every 6 months and see how that goes. We have a clean house that my lovely wife vacuums and dusts weekly, and a dog that doesn't shed so no pet hair. The blower does recirc and supposedly runs about 30% of the time. I suppose a static pressure test before and after a change would give some definitive answers, but on the other hand for what equates to about $100/year I'm thinking why not just go every 6 months going forward?

I find ours can go for 5-6 months over the late spring into early fall timeframe, but then in the winter only 3 months. n the summer the fan only runs when the AC is active. We do run the fan in continuous mode during the winter which runs at 20% speed or something like that.

I actually did a test on the system when we got it about 10 years ago, measuring the power draw with different filters in and fan speed settings. I'll have to dig out my "report" and see if I tested an old filter.

jeff

Depends on which filter you’re using.
1D67F484-0791-476A-B060-72DB1ED64EF6.jpeg

I had an old Aprilaire, and use to do it every 12mo. Had a new furnace installed with a new style Aprilaire, was doing the same, but a few months ago, noticed the furnace running alot. Ck'd the filter and found it pretty dirty. I replaced it, and the furnace went back to normal. So I think I can't go more than 8 months.

I use the 16, and follow the monitor on the cleaner.
Generally goes 11 months to a year.

How long a furnace filter lasts varies by several factors.
* Number of people living in house
* Do you burn candles
* Any shedding animals

When I had a 1-inch thick (MERV 13) filter, my differential pressure gage read .27" WC
I had installed an Aprilaire 4-inch thick (MERV 13) filter and my pressure gage dropped to .08" WC
Furnace manufacturer says .5" WC maximum.

I try and keep the house clean, NO candles, NO pets.
Its been 10 Months and the gage still reads .08" WC
I'm hoping to get two years from each filter and will visually inspect regularly .... I have no AC.
At that time, I'm hoping my gage reads a max of .25" WC (or less).

I'm just a homeowner with too much time on his hands.
IMG_20220223_123412540.jpg

Last edited:
We run the 213 filters in our 3 ton 2-stage unit. The duct work is only sized for 2.5 ton however. I change the 213 filter every 6 months at the beginning of either the heat or AC season. It always looks fine like it could go 1 year. If we ran the 210 filter, I’d likely go 1 year. Even at max CFM test during install, I was never over .3 IIRC.

Back