Apple's Updated MacBook Line-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple has held their WWDC conference on Monday. At the conference, updates to their Mzcbook line-up was announced.

Quote:
Apple just let loose a new 15-inch MacBook Pro at WWDC 2009, with what appears to be the same built-in, non-removable battery (or, non-user serviceable, if we're being proper) as in the current unibody 17-incher. Phil asserts that the cell will last the average user around five years (1,000 recharges), and could last around seven hours under ideal conditions. There's also an SD card reader rather than an ExpressCard slot (seriously Apple -- replaced? -- why not just add it like every other Wintel laptop available today?). Oh, and the starting tag just dropped to $1,699.

* Starting at $1,699 (down from $1,999 in prior lineups)
* $1,699: 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M graphics, 250GB HDD, SD card slot, no ExpressCard
* $1,999: 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT graphics, 320GB HDD, SD card slot, no ExpressCard
* $2,299: 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT graphics, 500GB HDD, SD card slot, no ExpressCard
* 17-inch unibody MacBook Pro remains the same specs-wise (it's the only Apple laptop left with an ExpressCard slot), but it's getting a price cut to $2,499.
* Shipping today

Not enough for you? The 13-inch unibody MacBook has been beefed up and revised, and it's now part of the MacBook Pro line as well. Yep, all the aluminum machines are now Pros, with the same built-in battery promising seven hours of life. The littlest Pro also gets the SD card slot, a FireWire 800 port, up to 8GB of RAM, upwards of 500GB of storage and a backlit keyboard as standard. You just knew Apple couldn't let its remaining white MacBook outperform its more expensive unibody for long, right? It'll be available (today, we expect) in two configurations.

* $1,199: 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M graphics, 160GB HDD, SD card slot, no ExpressCard
* $1,499: 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M graphics, 250GB HDD, SD card slot, no ExpressCard

Wilder still? A new MacBook Air, which starts at $1,499 (while the SSD unit gets going at $1,799). Yeah, that's $700 less than before.

* $1,499: 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M graphics, 120GB HDD
* $1,799: 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9400M graphics, 128GB SSD

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/apple-announces-new-macbook-pro-at-wwdc-2009/

Discuss.

Does it still come with easy to break hinges?

What's there to discuss? You'll have your apple mac fan boys claiming superiority in no time.

I won't say Windows is any good but from the above prices, looks like they charge $600 for the O/S. Or it just $100 for the O/S and $500 for the fruit on the lid?

Apple typically charges about $130.00 for their operating systems (more for their server operating systems) so the price of the operating system is actually very reasonable. Although they often come out with a new operating system every year or two so it all adds up. Or maybe I should not say new operating system because Mac OS X has now been around for several years. They are charging for major version upgrades to Mac OS X (10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5 and the upcoming 10.6 to be released September of 2009).

It is the Apple hardware that is expensive. The cheapest new MacPro is about $2700.00 and that does not include a monitor. There is a big gap between the iMac and the MacPro where maybe Apple needs to place another desktop. Not that Apple will listen to me.

The Apple operating system is a really smooth, capable operating system. I liked 10.4 the best myself. In many ways Mac OS X can be considered superior to any version of Windows. Windows does have somewhat better hardware and software compatibility.

It is actually possible to run Mac OS X on a Windows computer. The Windows computer is much more reasonable in price. There is a device called the EFI-X that makes that possible. You could also run Windows on a separate hard drive. You would have to use compatible hardware. For example Intel processors and not AMD. Nvidia graphics cards work the best, etc. There is an article in MaximumPC Magazine about this device (June). I have given it some thought. Might be dangerous-perhaps Apple could shut down the whole deal with a firmware update or whatever.

As much as so many complain about Windows you can still do anything you want to do using a Windows computer. Photoshop runs the same (some different keystrokes) and more hardware and software works. And of course cheaper computers.

Just to add a few things. I have never understood the concept of batteries that cannot be replaced but ask a Mac fanatic and they would probably tell you that Steve Jobs can do no wrong. I guess some people consider a computer to not be worth anything after five years and just throw it away.

And Apple in my opinion does have some hardware issues like hinges that are weak and poor color in some monitors and so forth but you have to be really careful saying anything negative about Apple on the internet. No negative comments about Apple are allowed on the internet. Also no negative comments about open source software. You can freely criticize Microsoft all you want. In fact people will praise you and maybe invite you to all kinds of stuff and tell you that you are brilliant if you criticize Microsoft.

So, just to be on the safe side. It is obviously totally brilliant for Apple to build computers with batteries that cannot be replaced. Who needs a five year old computer anyway and people who buy Macs have the money to get a new computer every year or couple of years. And Apple never builds a defective piece of hardware. All hinges on all Apple Computers are perfectly designed. There, now maybe I can get invited to all kinds of stuff.

there are advanced battery chemistries that are showing reasobly that is is possible to obtain LOTS more cycles than the el cheapo in your typical dell.

Still, does it make sense to have a replacable? Yes, for a variety of reasons...

The batteries are replacable for a fee. My brother's 5 year old macbook just had a bad HD (sure is better life than the two dells that I have, neither of which has lasted more than 1.5 years before the HD failed), and for a new OS (he upgraded), new HD, and new battery, it was only $280 from the Apple store, on Michigan Ave, in Chicago no less, and labor included. Youre not going to do much better than that cost-wise on a PC.

How about you compare oranges to oranges??? Look at the better PC notebooks, like the old IBM thinkpads (hopefully lenovos are still of similar quality). They werent cheap compared to the [censored] you get at best buy... and their longevity and operation is on par with the apple computers - it is ONLY a you get what you pay for thing...

I feel that the Dell Latitude E6400/E6500 series are a much better 'buy' than any MacBook Pro. Why? Cost vs performance. Great LED backlit screen, backlit KB, Samsung SLC-based SSD, reasonable prices.

Of all Dell laptops I've used, everyone is happy with these E series models.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Just to add a few things. I have never understood the concept of batteries that cannot be replaced but ask a Mac fanatic and they would probably tell you that Steve Jobs can do no wrong. I guess some people consider a computer to not be worth anything after five years and just throw it away.

And Apple in my opinion does have some hardware issues like hinges that are weak and poor color in some monitors and so forth but you have to be really careful saying anything negative about Apple on the internet. No negative comments about Apple are allowed on the internet. Also no negative comments about open source software. You can freely criticize Microsoft all you want. In fact people will praise you and maybe invite you to all kinds of stuff and tell you that you are brilliant if you criticize Microsoft.

So, just to be on the safe side. It is obviously totally brilliant for Apple to build computers with batteries that cannot be replaced. Who needs a five year old computer anyway and people who buy Macs have the money to get a new computer every year or couple of years. And Apple never builds a defective piece of hardware. All hinges on all Apple Computers are perfectly designed. There, now maybe I can get invited to all kinds of stuff.

I personally believe that a lot of Apple customers are rebels. They purchase Apple products because they "think" that Apple products are better, not that they have any evidence to prove that a properly maintained Windows platformed machine cannot suit their needs just as well.

In addition, if you are a heavy laptop user, I doubt that any laptop is going to last five years. Even if it does, would you still want it?

As for the integrated battery, a Genuine Dell refurbished 9-cell 85WHr battery for my Inspiron 1520 is $179. Under the Apple battery replacement program, a battery replacement is $179 and can be done same day at an Apple store.

I'm on a 4 year old HP notebook that runs just fine. IMHO MACs are way overpriced.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I'm on a 4 year old HP notebook that runs just fine. IMHO MACs are way overpriced.

You buy 'em from the status symbol. Same applies for the iPod, which I'm guilty of. Then again, aren't we all guilty of such purchases?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
. . . In addition, if you are a heavy laptop user, I doubt that any laptop is going to last five years. Even if it does, would you still want it?

My T42 is 5 years old and still runs great. I run it hard every day. I have no plans to replace it. I'm even thinking of dropping an SSD drive into it.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
. . . In addition, if you are a heavy laptop user, I doubt that any laptop is going to last five years. Even if it does, would you still want it?

My T42 is 5 years old and still runs great. I run it hard every day. I have no plans to replace it. I'm even thinking of dropping an SSD drive into it.

Does it sit on your desk or does it actually get moved around?

I switched from Windows computers to Macs in 1996 for my own personal use at home. I did consider myself something of a rebel. I never bought a computer however, Apple or Windows, as a status symbol. I always bought computers to be able to do stuff with them. Back in the day I remember making the mistake of telling some people in IT that I used a Mac at home. They looked at me like I was crazy. Today, we still are using Windows and Unix at work but there are people in IT who brag about their MacBook Pros.

I also used to really like the old Mac crowd. A lot of very creative and interesting people and fun to be around. The strange Cult of Mac crowd today turns me off.

Macs were always a little more expensive but the price difference used to be a lot less. In my personal opinion Apple needs a desktop positioned between the MacPro and the iMac. But of course Apple would never listen to me. If they did make a reasonably priced desktop better than the iMac I would certainly consider one.

In my personal opinion it would be real hard to beat Mac OS 10.4 'Tiger' as a desktop operating system. Towards the end when Apple was starting to come out with 10.5, 'Tiger' even was compatible with my Nikon dedicated film scanner. Now there are people using the Windows 7 RC who rave about it. My old 3 year old desktop Windows computer runs just fine so I will probably get the upgrade to Windows 7. Now is not a good time to consider a new computer because of new technology in the pipeline. Or course there is always new technology in the pipeline but USB 3 is supposed to be out next year.

A lot of people who own Macs today seem to think of themselves as 'cool' and rebels and so forth. Actually to be a rebel today you say something nice about Windows on the internet. So I will say something nice about Windows. A Windows computer costs less and you can do everything you need to do using Windows while also having better software and hardware support. Heck, you can even run Mac OS X on a Windows computer.

I don't know how Windows 7 will turn out. I have not tried it. If it is as great as some are saying maybe I will put it up there with Mac OS 10.4. It still would take a lot for me to put Mac OS 10.4 into second place. And by the way a MacPro is a great computer with wonderful design but just too expensive. And I would definitely stay away from the early models myself.

In the end I think we are all looking for good products at reasonable costs and products that let us get our work done. If the product is made by Microsoft or Apple what difference does it make? And a brand of computer never made anybody 'cool.'

Originally Posted By: Mystic
It is actually possible to run Mac OS X on a Windows computer. The Windows computer is much more reasonable in price. There is a device called the EFI-X that makes that possible.

You don't need to purchase a device to make anything possible. Google "hackintosh" to find easier ways to set up OSX on x86 hardware.

Well, if Windows 7 really is the great operating system people have been waiting for from Microsoft there may be no need to even worry about running a 'hackintosh.' If it is the real deal you can't beat that setup-a great operating system that will run on reasonably priced computers. It would be silly to buy something more expensive and no better just to be 'cool' and smug.

But if I ever have another computer custom built I would for one thing be sure that it had USB 3 which is probably one of the next big things. And I also would be sure that just in case maybe I could run that 'hackintosh.' So in other words select components that could make running the 'hackintosh' possible.

According to what I have read I should be able to ungrade to Windows 7 for $99 dollars. I would upgrade and just keep chugging along with this old computer. As long as a computer can get the job done might as well keep using it. Maybe even when USB 3 comes out it might be possible to switch motherboards-I don't know. You tell me.

Now I might give Mac OS 10.6 a trial also. According to what they are saying if you have 10.5 'Leopard' you can upgrade to 10.6 'Snow Leopard' for $29 dollars. At that price it would be worth a try. But if they don't really let me do that and I do have a legal copy of 10.5 (which I do) I definitely am no longer an Apple customer. I am setup right now to be able to leave Apple and not look back.

And if Apple wants to keep me as a customer they need to come out with a reasonably priced desktop between the iMac and the MacPro. Of course Apple does not care about me but one could become two could become three could become... It is pointless and silly to pay more if you can get the same or better for cheaper. The 'cool' and the smug can continue to waste their money. I am loyal to myself and not any corporation or CEO cult figure.

You know, thinking about it a little, I probably will run this old Windows computer for at least another couple of years. I have gotten kind of attached to it. I don't throw out stuff that works like the 'cool' and the smug. Especially if Windows 7 is the real deal. Just upgrade and keep on chugging along. I don't have any USB 3 devices yet anyway.

I remember when the Big Chief lady at work, the big boss, came to me and personally asked me to do some photography at work. I took hundreds of photos and worked on them on this old computer at home. I also did photography for my family. This is the second or third time I have been asked to do photography at work. I sure did not refuse the big boss. They sort of like my photos.

I was able, after some trial and error, to get really nice and accurate color using the Vista Windows computer. I tried the iMac and wasted photo paper, ink, and time. I can think of some old Mac guys (whatever became of them?) who would cry hearing that. I have to admit, after all those years of using Macs, I felt a little like crying myself. But hey, I got really good color using Vista! Times change. Oh well, what the heck, the water flows down the river to the sea. Maybe iPods and iPhones are more important than computer graphics. I seem to remember getting real fine color using good ol' Mac 9.1. Old guys like me have a lot of stuff in our memories.

Well, we will soon find out if Windows 7 is any good. And for that matter Mac OS 10.6 'Snow Leopard.' I hope 10.6 is not like 10.5. I thought I had trashed my computer after installing 10.5. Talk about BSOD. I had BSOD for several minutes and I almost tried to reboot the computer. For $29 bucks it is worth a last try I guess. If Windows 7 is a dud after all and 10.6 is the real deal I guess I will have to get that 'hackintosh' built.

Does it sit on your desk or does it actually get moved around?

Desk? I've got other systems for that. This is a thin, light system, even by today's standards. It's on the go, and it can go about 5 hrs on battery. It will go even longer with an SSD. And it's built like a tank. I'm typing on it right now.

My ASUS Z83V flew out of a VW and landed in a field
wink.gif
And it's still going
grin2.gif

It gets moved around all the time, and is about 3 years old now.

QUALITY notebooks don't fall apart in a few years.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
My ASUS Z83V flew out of a VW and landed in a field
wink.gif
And it's still going
grin2.gif

It gets moved around all the time, and is about 3 years old now.

QUALITY notebooks don't fall apart in a few years.

I wish I could say that about my old Toshiba laptop. Still works as a desktop now. Won't hold a charge, keyboard is busted, mouse buttons get harder to press, and built with cheap plastic.

I have an Asus Eeepc right now and I'm loving the build quality and performance of this thing.

Original battery still in the Z83V. Last about an hour.

My sister has an ASUS L5800 (P4) from '03. Battery gave up the ghost last year IIRC, but otherwise the notebook itself is still perfect.

Batteries are consumables. The more you cycle them, the less capacity they have. A well-used battery usually lasts about 2 years before the run time starts to significantly drop off.

I'm on my second batt in my T42. When I retired the OEM one last year, it was down to about one hour of run time. New batteries are an upgrade, having improved technology and larger capacities. I've gone over 6 hours on the new one on occasion.

Anyone gauging laptop quality on how well the original battery holds up after many years just misses the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back