Apple worth ONE GOOGLE more than Exxon/Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
I don't worry about individual equities as most of my stocks are owned in the form of index funds.

Index funds beat 80% of managed portfolios and you pay far smaller fees to own them.

This is often true. Except if you manage your own portfolio. Then you only have to buy yourself a steak dinner if you do well.
smile.gif

I'd say that probably 80% of my portfolio is in index funds as well. Much of it is in a Vanguard fund, which carries a super-low 0.05% expense ratio. That said, I do actively manage 100% of it (I don't have a broker), and the remaining 20% is invested in individual equities. I did buy some Apple stock back in December of 2011, before I owned any Apple products. Since I bought the stock, I thought I might actually try one of the products to see what it's all about. Before I knew it, we own FOUR Apple products, and will likely add a fifth this Christmas.

It is noteworthy that Apple has surpassed ExxonMobil so fast, and continues to grow at such a rapid pace. Other companies have grown as fast and have fallen off into oblivion. Hard to say if that will happen to Apple or not. Its success is driven primarily on folks' desire to own one of their products. If Apple ceases to create that desire in the market place, much of their market capitalization will dry up, just as with any other company.

To say Apple is overextended would be an understatement. On most technical moving average based indicators that aren't momentum based, it's overbought, and on momentum based indicators, it's stalling and below the peak those indicators had in April. Doesn't mean a sell off will happen tomorrow, but it's something to think about. Probably not a good buying opportunity.

Some people still think that AAPL is cheap. It's price-to-earnings is still very much in line with those ratios typically seen at growth companies, maybe even lower.

This guy thinks AAPL is still cheap

Personally, I think AAPL still has a few good quarters in them. I don't see much "big" in the pipeline for 2013 as I did in December of 2011 for this year. The start of a dividend program this year may begin to transition them from a growth equity into a more "mature" and sustaining stock, and one that won't grow nearly as fast as it did until now.

Then again, this guy thinks its good for 1,000 bucks soon, and $2,000 by the end of 2015. We'll see I guess.

Whether you like Apple or not its fascinating to watch a company move towards possible the trillion dollar mark.

I'm also proud that its an American company, based and started in this country.

Since this is a car forum, I love the new Brabus Business edition. Perfect for running just about any company out of the back seat, with lots of cool Apple products. Only thing I would add which I'm sure Brabus would accommodate is sat coms, so you would have service anywhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: morepwr
Thats all well and good but it would take some serious money to invest in apple now.

Yeah. To have any serious gains you have to put a boatload of cash into Apple. That being said I got in at ~ $300 so I'm good to go. Not sure I see it going anywhere in the near term. iPhone 5 broke sales records, Macs are still selling faster than the PC industry, etc. And it's good as Microsoft has been a cancer on the industry for far too long.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
To have any serious gains you have to put a boatload of cash into Apple.

If you spend $700 to buy one share of AAPL or spend $700 to buy seven shares of XOM, an x% gain is still an x% gain. You'll realize the same dollar amount of profit, assuming the gain is the same. If you are a modest investor and are interested in Apple, it's a-okay to buy just one or two shares.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Macs are still selling faster than the PC industry, etc.

Are you sure? I think it's correct to say that the Mac industry is *growing* faster than the PC industry is, but I'm fairly sure that Macs don't out-sell PCs.

Quote:
Windows is the OS on more than 78% of all personal computers sold, while Apple‘s Macs have to settle for 3.7%. However, Microsoft’s perch isn’t as high as it used to be.

http://mashable.com/2012/07/03/mac-vs-pc-sales/

Yes, he's incorrect.

Another interesting note:

Quote:
Apple Sold More iOS Devices in 2011 Than Macs in 28 Years

crazy2.gif

and:

Quote:
However, the 78% figure statistic includes tablets, which have begun to “cannibalize” both PC and Mac sales. The iPad now accounts for 11% of the PC market, as Asymco defines it, with Samsung, Amazon and other Android vendors constituting about 7%.

Quote:
Totaling both Mac and iPad sales, Apple remains the top single computer vendor in the world, with 14.6% of the market, followed by Hewlett-Packard at 14.1%.

Interesting. Isn't HP getting out of the computer market? Or are they just getting out of the *consumer* computer market? Or is neither of those statements correct?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Interesting. Isn't HP getting out of the computer market? Or are they just getting out of the *consumer* computer market? Or is neither of those statements correct?

There is talk about them getting out of the consumer PC market. The Enterprise market is more profitable, not as cut-throat and simply a better choice apparently.

Almost all of our machines at work are now HP/Compaq SFF boxes with AMD processors. If you look up a Compaq 6005, that's exactly what we have. They seem to run well, and are bulletproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back