Apple looses another iPhone prototype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Apple should hire Mennonites to test its phones. They tend not to loose things in tequila bars
smile.gif

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-201011...OCmoreStories.0

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2011/09/lost_iphone_5_apple.php

Last edited:
Stealing a phone has to be the stupidest thing nowadays.....most all of them are "tracked" one way or another.....

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Stealing a phone has to be the stupidest thing nowadays.....most all of them are "tracked" one way or another.....

It is a paid (by the month) feature and usually phone companies (both the manufacturer and carrier)don't do squat to help you. Don't count on police for such petty theft either.

One good news is that nowadays (or in the near future) most phones' firmware are locked to the unit (unique per device and random security lock) and if password is set, it would be near impossible for non professional to unlock it. Hopefully it will deter theft of the whole phone (but if they steal it for parts, that's another story).

Here's a tip... if you find what you think is a prototype Apple phone, return it. It's against the law to keep it and they're known to prosecute.

Here's another tip... if somebody visits your house claiming to be police officers and you don't think they are, call the police to confirm, don't just let them in. Also, don't call the local newspaper and give them a tell all before talking to the cops about it. You tend to lose some of your credibility when you take it to the press before all else.

This whole thing is an iStunt created by Apple marketing .

It now sounds like Apple could be in serious legal trouble if the police acted illegaly on behalf of the company.

I'm glad I hate cr-Apple.

If I found that stupid phone I would keep it but never tell anyone. Screw Apple. Losers weepers, finders keepers.

A second screw up, not likely, this has guerrilla marketing written all over it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: urchin
This whole thing is an iStunt created by Apple marketing .

It now sounds like Apple could be in serious legal trouble if the police acted illegaly on behalf of the company.

I'm glad I hate cr-Apple.

If I found that stupid phone I would keep it but never tell anyone. Screw Apple. Losers weepers, finders keepers.

A second screw up, not likely, this has guerrilla marketing written all over it.

Apparently you didn't read about when a chinese worker lost the iphone 4 prototype: he was later found dead, murdered. Suspicious.

You have to test a consumer device in the real world before releasing or risk having bugs. Stunt? for sure not. That guy who lost it last time was gone for a month for security reason just in case, and have to change his look to avoid all the publicity, didn't get rich with all the publicity for sure.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Here's a tip... if you find what you think is a prototype Apple phone, return it. It's against the law to keep it and they're known to prosecute.

Here's another tip... if somebody visits your house claiming to be police officers and you don't think they are, call the police to confirm, don't just let them in. Also, don't call the local newspaper and give them a tell all before talking to the cops about it. You tend to lose some of your credibility when you take it to the press before all else.

+1.

And for the Chinese worker murdered, just think how big a business counterfeiting is in China and what there would be to be gained by doing this early. Im sure it is big business within China itself to get their hands on this stuff.

Which is why I try to boycott anything made in China. Tough to do though.

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
To lose one iphone may be a misfortune, but to lose two begins to look like carelessness.
whistle.gif

Maybe planned carelessness?

Do we know how many test units there are and what the loss percentage is compared to the general public? Until then it may be all speculation.

Maybe Apple does do prototype testing in a "less smart" way than other though...

Id try to do as much testing in the form of an old 3G iphone as I could, so nobody could easily make claims...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Do we know how many test units there are and what the loss percentage is compared to the general public? Until then it may be all speculation.

In the US market, every carrier (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, MetroPCS, etc) requires certain amount of test samples and duration as well as pre-release prototype to be tested before they are willing to sell it on their network in their stores. You can ask them about the sample sizes.

I can tell you one of the reason Palm died is because they screwed up many of these test, and a lot of their products got cancelled and were never sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back