Apple iphone and their batteries

Any iphone se users having battery life problems? My phone had very bad battery life... minimal apps not a heavy phone user usually have good reception during the day and full bars in my home. The other day the phone shut off at 44%... That was the final straw after years of an iPhone user bestbuy offered $200 on a trade in.. So I went for it. Using an older LG phone the phoenix plus think the battery is a 3,000 mah gets through 2 days with minimal use and 1 day with moderate.. Skype some emails for work texting and calls

How old of an SE? Mine has been good, but my work's apps seemed to kill even new iPhone batteries quickly, I had a 7 & an 8 that couldn't get past midday without a top-up. If you were from the early SE days, it may have been from the bad old days (2017 & earlier) when Apple was giving away new batteries for $29 installed. I had a bad 6 battery replaced then, battery life has been good since.

What was the battery "health" in Settings? I think 85% is the threshold where battery replacement is recommended. The SE's battery capacity is more like that of the 7/8, and those seem to need charging every day for moderate use if in good "health" and more frequently if not. With the X, the batteries became far more capacious, I believe due to the increased space/thickness. I got an 11 this fall, and can easily make it two days on a charge with moderate use, sometimes three. I didn't expect there to be that much of a difference from my 7 but am still blown away by it.

My coworker can't use his iPhone se (2 years old) outdoors in the winter or it dies within minutes. It also has a hard time making it through the day barely using it.

There's always the possibility that you have a bad battery. I've had an Apple notebook computer battery where it looked like the battery management setting got corrupted. It was literally reporting negative capacity, going back to good condition, and then going back to negative capacity. It was still working though to some extent, but it finally swelled, although it didn't damage the computer because it wasn't in a sealed hatch and could just push out.

A defective battery is fairly random. But it just sort of happens because it's the nature of battery manufacturing that there will be some duds.

Believe the battery health was 88%... I'm sitting on the $200 trade in for now.. Mid week moto is releasing a few new models I may look into.. If I were retired and didn't have parents to worry about I'd can the phone all together.

I got my 7+ battery replaced at the Apple store for $49. It helped but it’s still not like it was when the phone was brand new.

I’m a pretty heavy user and my battery health is at 87% on my iPhone, never had an issue with mine shutting off or acting weird.

My coworker can't use his iPhone se (2 years old) outdoors in the winter or it dies within minutes. It also has a hard time making it through the day barely using it.
Mine is the same way, it was purchased in 2016 or 2017. My battery health is 81% now. I’m on borrowed time and have been for a while. I want to have a new battery put in it.

Did you have to back it up or restore anything before they did it? I’ve been thinking about getting the one replaced in my SE.

Yes I backed it up first just in case they damaged the phone when replacing the battery. I pay for iCloud storage so it wasn’t too bad to backup as most things were already backed up.

Did you have to back it up or restore anything before they did it? I’ve been thinking about getting the one replaced in my SE.
They will tell you to make a backup but realistically it should NOT be necessary for a battery swap. What could happen though is they break your phone (it happens) and in many cases, they just hand you a refurbished version of what you had.

They will tell you to make a backup but realistically it should NOT be necessary for a battery swap. What could happen though is they break your phone (it happens) and in many cases, they just hand you a refurbished version of what you had.

That's one of the possibilities. I haven't heard of anyone in my circle having one returned in a reset condition. However, there are some possibilities. One is that they return it actually resetting the device to factory conditions. I've participated on an Apple support discussion forum, and that has happened before. The other is that they might offer to just swap the entire device where the replacement contains a fresh battery. That's actually what they do for iPad "battery replacement".

My previous iPhone 6S (2 years old at the time) had to be in battery saver mode to hold a charge through the day with moderate use. We upgraded to the 12 2 months ago and batter life is phenomenal. It lasts 2 days on a charge.

My wife has a 6s we got about four years ago. Just today out in the cold, she encountered the “40% to 1% in seconds”.

Im a much heavier user, I just got a 12 pro and I’ve been happy with the life compared to my Xs.

If you can tolerate Android, Moto G Power gives you 3 days on a charge, has a regular headphone socket and a C-USB port.
Water repellent for those who mount their phones on their motorcycles.

[Personally, I use a Balckberry :) ]

I got me the other day XS Max at FB marketplace and one of the reasons I opt for it was its battery health at 100%, the phone was open box yet it had original plastic protection all over just from the box first time; I moved to it from iP8+; so at iP8+ battery health was at 84% after 3 years of use; i'm currently selling it on eBay

if I've decided keeping on it, id replace battery at 80% and below that level; the battery life on daily use was OK, I did not have any major problems with it.

If you can tolerate Android, Moto G Power gives you 3 days on a charge, has a regular headphone socket and a C-USB port.
Water repellent for those who mount their phones on their motorcycles.

[Personally, I use a Balckberry :) ]
All Android phones using USB-C support some form of quick charging via Qualcomm’s QuickCharge or the Power Delivery capability that USB-C provides.

too bad the Moto G doesn’t support NFC for Google Pay, it really is a good bang for the buck phone - besides the Pixel 3a/4a and iPhone SE. Lenovo has been slow to update Android for their phones - which is why the Pixel a series also have the advantage of guaranteed updates for security and functionality. But now Qualcomm has announced 3 years of driver updates for their chipsets which means any phone using a Snapdragon SOC should be able to achieve near-parity with updates compared to a iPhone.

Reactions: Y_K
My previous iPhone 6S (2 years old at the time) had to be in battery saver mode to hold a charge through the day with moderate use. We upgraded to the 12 2 months ago and batter life is phenomenal. It lasts 2 days on a charge.
This was my experience exactly when I got an iPhone 11 (old phone was the 6S) about a year ago.

The 6S is a great phone. But then, just about every upgraded iPhone I’ve had has been a big improvement over the last model.

They’re such great phones - I’ve only had 5 phones since buying my first iPhone in June 2008 (the 3G).

Ive had the:

• 3G (2008)
• 4 (2010)
• 5 (2012)
• 6S (2015)
• 11 (gifted to me in Dec. 2019)

Back in those first couple of years, the pace of development was such that you really got a good amount of benefit from buying a new phone every couple of years.

Then, the pace of development slowed down, and it made More sense to keep a phone for several years.

But then what you run into is battery depletion after a couple of years.

My max batt. capacity on my iPhone 11 is already down to only 94% after only 1 year. Right now it’s adequate, but, at this rate, after another year or 2, it won’t be, and I’ll need to look at having the batt. replaced.

I will say, batt. life on the 11 is very, very good.

Back