API SG/CD or API SH

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a car (1997 jaguar XJ6 3200cc petrol inline 6 engine), that asks for motor oil with the specification API SG/CD or API SH in the range 5W-20 to 20W-50.
I live in Belgium, where 10W-40 is a very common weight, so this is what I'm going to buy.
I can only find oil in the distribution channels I use professionally with API SN/CF spec. (Also: ACEA A3/B4; MB 229.3; VW, PSA, Renault, Toyota specs). This is supposed to cover the aforementioned spec. Could someone confirm this please?
I'd prefer not to buy online as I'm buying quite some other oils from one supplier, meaning I've got a good relationship, service and prices already.

Thanks,
kn.

welcome2.gif

These are ancient, obsolete specs. Basically, you are fine with any modern oil.

Here is more info on the API timeline:

https://www.api.org/products-and-services/engine-oil/documents/motor-oil-guide

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the document.

I asked this question because it doesn't mention anywhere explicitly that the latest specification covers all previous specs (unless I missed it...), however thanks for confirming my thoughts and what my sales rep told me.
Good news, this means I can use the exact oil I buy now in large barrels for my old jag...

Also, SAE xW-40 grade is probably the right viscosity grade for this car and should reduce oil consumption. So, you will be perfectly fine with the ACEA A3/B4 10W-40 oil you mentioned.

Good to hear, I want to keep this old jag in perfect condition, but it won't be a garage queen. She will be driven hard :)

Or you can leave me with your Jaguar and I'll put Redline oil in her.Please prefill with fuel before sending; I dont want her to get dehydrated during the trip. Enjoy your car!

I agree with above. A good 4T motorbike oil is a great option and widely available. Superbike oil has the anti wear agents that Brit Leyland engine designers recognised was in the oil formulation at the time and it will have the benefits of cleaner, modern base stocks. The picture of a motobike on the bottle does not automatically exclude 4 wheel automotive appliances.

The key is do you have roller or flat faced lifters.? If roller then yes, you can truly use SN rated oils. If flat faced lifters then it gets more complicated. If that engine is known for lifter cam wear problems or just to be sure, you can use any motorcycle rated 10W40 oil. The MA2 soec is very close to the old SG spec with modern additives in addition to ZDDP for the lifters and the correct additive pack for cam chains. If you have cam chains I think a XXW40 or XXW50 oil is better. That old probably does not have direct injection, so you probably do not need to worry about soot contamination.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
The key is do you have roller or flat faced lifters.? If roller then yes, you can truly use SN rated oils. If flat faced lifters then it gets more complicated. If that engine is known for lifter cam wear problems or just to be sure, you can use any motorcycle rated 10W40 oil. The MA2 soec is very close to the old SG spec with modern additives in addition to ZDDP for the lifters and the correct additive pack for cam chains. If you have cam chains I think a XXW40 or XXW50 oil is better. That old probably does not have direct injection, so you probably do not need to worry about soot contamination.

If his Jag has flat tappets.....then it would be easier and also more cost effective for him to get any E4/E7 HDEO....lihe Shell Rimula etc....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back