API SB....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there has been talk about cheap gas station API SA oil and now it is not ok for any newer engine.

Well, I was in the gas station the other day getting some money out of their ATM, and it just happened to be next to the oil. They had 5w30, 10w30, and 10w40, all of which Meets SB oil certification. I didn't care enough to see what "improvements" have been made from SA to SB lol, but I'm pretty sure this oil is still horrible to use in any car.

Though I'm not surprised to see this stuff, I just kinda figured it would be a bottle of 10w40 or SAE 30 and was impressed to see that someone is making a "newer" 5w30 oil that is SB rated. Good stuff.

BTW, the stuff was City Star (Star Petroleum Detroit, MI http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=frk&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Star+Petroleum+detroit,+mi&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Star+Petroleum&hnear=Detroit,+MI&cid=15521603994798131571) and the other was Accell.

And of course, there is no real warning to consumers that they shouldn't buy it lol...

I work for a grocery store in So Cal and they carry some "Racing Team" oil thats API SB rated. I think we have it in 10w30 and 10W40. Some people actually buy it! Its usually people buying 1 quart to top off that have no idea about engine oil. If someone asks me a question about it i tell them to not use it and go to Walmart right across the street to get something better. I just dont have the heart to tell them yeah that oil will work great! lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
The Accell I see is SF "rated".

My car uses SG oil. I need more ZDDP in mine

If you need to top up Oil and you dont have any, you run into the gas station and buy some fine SB oil.

SA is at dollar stores

so this is how two and three year old cars get messed up. API SB did it.

THe conversation is "Oh ill get some oil ok its $3 ill get this my dipstick is low" . mmhmm

The fact that [censored] oil is still being made is just amazing. SA and SB still being bottled is soo horrible. To actually make a product that sucks and expect people to buy it is just awful. At least house brands like SuperTech are SN and wont do any harm.

If you poll drivers on the streets in any city the following:

What engine oil is required/recommended for your car:
a) API SA
b) API SB
c) API SC
d) API SD
e) None of the above - Another API spec

I bet the minority of drivers will choose e, and majority will choose either a, b, c or d.

IMO.....That's why it's good to try and do your own oil changes. At least you have an idea of what is going into the vehicle. All of this SA, SB, SC.....outdated oil is still out on the market. They have to find a way of unloading it....even if it means mixing it for bulk oil at quick change stations.

In my hood, I'm skeptical of all the quickie oil change places popping up with Russian and Eastern European owners. IMO....Who knows what Bulk oil they are using? They have these shops set up now so you can't observe what they are adding to you vehicle, from the customer waiting area.

IMO...Who knows for sure what is in those drums of bulk oil? Just because a barrel or drum is labeled with a brand name....does not insure that's whats going into your vehicle.

I like to change my own, and my elderly neighbors, oil and filters. At least I know what I purchased from a major auto parts store or retail chain is most likely the real McCoy.

I think at the local gas stations here they have "Road Tech" motor oil. I forget if it's SA or SB. It's definitely not good enough for the cars seen now. The same chain stocks PYB and it's 4.99 a quart.

Last edited:
Just another reason I have been doing my own oil changes for many years. I wouldn't get my oil changed at a oil change shop if it was free, just because you never really know what is in the bulk tanks!

There are two things that consistently amaze me about SA/SB oil... the fact that it remains on the market to be sold as motor oil (clearly unfit for this purpose) and the price.

Usually, the SA/SB junk that is sold at gas stations or grocery stores is just as or more expensive than store brand modern oil with a current API spec at Wal-Mart or almost any car parts store.

Sometimes, it costs more than name brand oil when there's a good sale going on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back