API certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS,

What exactly do you mean? I ask because I notice that most diesel oils also carry a gasoline engine rating. SL, for example.

Is this not the same as API certification?

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
There's no such thing as API certification for HD diesel oils....

TS

Wha?????

I equate the term "API certification" as being licensed to carry the API service "donut" or ILSAC "starburst".

http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByViscosity.asp?Viscosity=15W-40

While you're not going likely to find an HD diesel oil without an SJ or SL rating sold in the US, there are several API EOLCS licensees outside the US where only combinations of CF, CF4, CG-4, CH-4, or CI-4 are listed.

The API's motor oil guide card specifically mentions the CI-4 PLUS rating:

http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/API_MotorOilGuide_2004.pdf

Now the API doesn't have any similar licensing scheme for gear oil, but they sure as heck do for diesel-rated motor oil.

If you look at the page, my interpretation is that about
3-4 of the oils have the starburst, the rest don't.
Craig

quote:

Originally posted by Craig:
If you look at the page, my interpretation is that about
3-4 of the oils have the starburst, the rest don't.
Craig

Actually - the asterisk only applies to "Energy Conserving" oils. The API only lists one Schaeffer product as licensed to use the GF-4 starburst (although their website might not be up to date).

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseInfo2.asp?LicenseNo=0032

The "Starburst" only applies to a gasoline engine standard for certain "fuel efficient" weights (0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 0W-40). The starburst logo says "AMERICAN PETROLEUM INSTITUTE - FOR GASOLINE ENGINES - CERTIFIED". Notice what weights the starburst certified oils typically come in.

The "donut" is trademarked by the API. That can't be used without undergoing the certification and licensing steps. If there's "CI-4" inside the donut, then it's "certified" as meeting an API HD diesel standard.

API certification: "Certified For Gas Engines" aka: "The Starburst", and generic API licensing, aka: "The Donut" are not the same thing.

All certified oils are also licensed, but NO xw-40 or xw-50 lubes are certified, even if they are licensed.

Only the xw-20 and xw-30, GF-4 formulations are Certified and have chemical limits on phosphorus (800 ppm for SM,1000 ppm for SL/SJ,1200 ppm for obsolete SH)

Hi,
this extract from an engine maker's lubricant standards document regarding the "API Symbol" may help here;

"A marketer is required to license his oil with API in order to display the symbol. Beware that some marketers may indicate that their products "meet" API requirements. THIS IS NOT ADEQUATE. Although the licensing process does not guarantee good oil performance, the marketer must be able to produce support data to substantiate that the service classification is met. ONLY OILS LICENSED BY API SHOULD BE USED IN DETROIT DIESEL ENGINES!"

With regard to diesel engine oils used Commercially,it would be a VERY BOLD operator who used an oil that DID NOT have the engine maker's APPROVAL!

Regards
Doug

The 5 gallon pail of the 9000 series I got when it first came out was stamped CI-4 and CI-4 Plus. The gallon bottles of the 9000 series I just got says exceeds CI-4 and CI-4-Plus. It also says exceeds Ford,GM, Chrysler,and all foreign man specs. Nowhere does it say meets or is there a symbol. I will say this, the first OA came back and was better than ever and the trucks runs better as well, (Ford 6.0 PSD).

Jim

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Certification is NOT API licensing....

The API does call it the "Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System".

The API/ILSAC "Starburst" does specifically say "CERTIFIED" on it and is known as their "CERTIFICATION MARK". However, the API refers to its entire EOLCS program (including licensing of the "donut") as one of their "Certification Programs". To say that HDEOs aren't "API certified" is just splitting hairs.

If the original question was more specifically if there are any HDEOs that carry the GF-3 or GF-4 "Starburst", then the answer is no.

my comment was ridiculous so I removed it. I was poking fun at Ted.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back