API CD, CE, and CF oil zinc limits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone now what the lower ppm zinc limits are for API CD, CE, CF, CF-2, and CF-4 oils are? Thanks, Hullthumper.

Skyship, I emailed API and presented this question a few weeks ago. Its not a surprise but I have not received a reply or anything from them.

There are no chemical limits in those old API specifications, just engine tests. The first API C category to introduce any chemical limits was API CJ-4, which sets maximum limits for sulphated ash, sulphur and phosphorus.

Furthermore, none of these categories place a limit on zinc, but they do limit phosphorus. As I said in that link you made Skyship, the maximum P limit for ACEA C3 is 900 ppm; the minimum is 700 ppm but C3 is the only ACEA category with a chemical minimum limit.

You can find this stuff freely, eg here.

Weasley,

Thanks for the reply and the link. In the back of my mind I thought that it might have been the end results rather than the means. You confirmed it. So long as it met a certain wear number they did not care how it was achieved. Also, thanks for the link, very informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back