Anyone with more than 200k miles cars/trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dads 1997 Corolla currently sits at 298,000 miles with nothing replaced other than the alternator (about 6 months ago), radiator (2 weeks ago) and an O2 sensor a few years back. Original timing belt, water pump, PS pump, 3-spd auto tranny, muffler, axles, etc all still there. No oil leaks. I was going to change the timing belt and water pump 2 weeks ago when I replaced the original radiator but he decided once it hits 300,000 he is going to buy a new Corolla so I returned all the parts. Nothing but regular oil changes with whatever is on sale, and the auto transmission gets a 2 qt drain and fill at every oil change.

My 1984 Accord went 292,000 before a deer wiped out the front end. Everything original exept the torque converter (original failed when it was only 2 years old), tires, and brakes. The older Hondas were definitely better than the newer ones in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: quint
My dads 1997 Corolla currently sits at 298,000 miles with nothing replaced other than the alternator (about 6 months ago), radiator (2 weeks ago) and an O2 sensor a few years back. Original timing belt, water pump, PS pump, 3-spd auto tranny, muffler, axles, etc all still there. No oil leaks. I was going to change the timing belt and water pump 2 weeks ago when I replaced the original radiator but he decided once it hits 300,000 he is going to buy a new Corolla so I returned all the parts. Nothing but regular oil changes with whatever is on sale, and the auto transmission gets a 2 qt drain and fill at every oil change.

My 1984 Accord went 292,000 before a deer wiped out the front end. Everything original exept the torque converter (original failed when it was only 2 years old), tires, and brakes. The older Hondas were definitely better than the newer ones in my opinion.

Wow...the original TB lasts that long. Hopefully, mine will last another 2-3 years. It has only 100k miles but it's a 92 and TB was replace at 54k miles and probably sometime in 2003-5 time frame since the fellow I got it from didn't have it in the paperwork. I just spent a tons of money to get a lot of parts replaced but it still need a shock/strut to be considered a perfect commuter vehicle. This is probably the car with the worst shock/strut feeling and that leads me to believe that the original owner, not the guy before me, was severely obese or carried a lot of stuffs in it all the time.

I'll keep it till 200k then I'll turn it into a 4x4 or something off-road.

Last edited:
My Dodge Dakota is close. It's got 182k miles. All driveline parts are original. Original Sanden A/C compressor and Denso alternator and starter. The radiator was replaced shortly before I bought it, as was the power steering pressure hose and a few other items. I put a water pump on it, thinking I had a timing cover gasket leak, and it turned out to be a thermostat housing gasket leak. I replaced both valve cover seals. Rear main seal leaks some, but not worth it to fix. All fluids have been exchanged, and the 44RE transmission actually works very smoothly. I have not adjusted the bands, but it could probably use it. I put a class IV hitch on it and tow stuff occasionally. I need to fix the propeller shaft's carrier bearing. I never have figured out why they love these 2-piece prop shafts. The front segment requires a carrier bearing, and the rubber eventually fails on that. It can't be cheaper or lighter than a good 1-piece prop shaft.

2000 Saab 9-5 with 290K miles. Still runs great with only a couple repairs/parts replacement which might be considered uncommon for a vehicle with this many miles.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
My dads 1997 Corolla currently sits at 298,000 miles .... Original timing belt....etc etc

Wow...the original TB lasts that long. Hopefully, mine will last another 2-3 years. It has only 100k miles but it's a 92 and TB was replace at 54k miles ...This is probably the car with the worst shock/strut feeling..

In defense of that poor timing belt, he is 80 years old and drives like it. I doubt that engine has gone over 2000 rpm in 10+ years.
grin.gif
And yes the struts are well worn and have been for quite a while. We talked about replacing those too, if just out of safety.

Original owner of an 83 Silverado with 210K on the clock,engine never touched except for the normal wear and tear components,carb rebuilt,tranny rebuit and water pump,alt. still running original starter and PS pump, she's still my daily driver
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Like a Rock"

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
My dads 1997 Corolla currently sits at 298,000 miles .... Original timing belt....etc etc

Wow...the original TB lasts that long. Hopefully, mine will last another 2-3 years. It has only 100k miles but it's a 92 and TB was replace at 54k miles ...This is probably the car with the worst shock/strut feeling..

In defense of that poor timing belt, he is 80 years old and drives like it. I doubt that engine has gone over 2000 rpm in 10+ years.
grin.gif
And yes the struts are well worn and have been for quite a while. We talked about replacing those too, if just out of safety.

Remind me never to get behind him. I don't know about the 97 but my 92 gets pretty preppy and will go over 2k rpm very easily. To maintain 55 mph, it stays at a 2.1-2.4k rpm, depending on terrain. Surprisingly, the manual doesn't call for TB change under normal driving condition.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Original owner of an 83 Silverado with 210K on the clock,engine never touched except for the normal wear and tear components,carb rebuilt,tranny rebuit and water pump,alt. still running original starter and PS pump, she's still my daily driver
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Like a Rock"

That's a bad [censored] looking rig dude.

'91 Honda Prelude

Had about 217k on it when I pulled the head to replace the head gasket last fall. First major work other that timing belt several years prior (due to leaking front oil seal)

About a month later it had a rod knock and I figured since I was going to have it apart I'd replace the rings along with the rod bearings due to excessive oil consumption. Oil control rings and return holes were totally coked up.

Now has 225k although it still burns some oil, which I think is getting past the valve guides as it is only visible after extended idling.

Can't afford to replace it so just going to drive it till it falls apart.

Can't remember the exact mileage but dad's 91 Festiva has over 215k. Bought it at 80k in 98. Nothing has been done to the engine internally. The valve cover gasket, timing belt, and the clutch once. Not sure on the water pump. The kicker is for 100k he used Castrol 20w50 even in the dead of winter. I eventually convinced him to use 10w30 which he buys the cheapest and changes at 3k intervals. It's perhaps the best running out of the three in the family. His other one has only 164k but I don't see why it won't last as long just as long. Clean oil at regular intervals and little preventative maintenance goes a long way...

Originally Posted By: kreigle
'91 Honda Prelude

Had about 217k on it when I pulled the head to replace the head gasket last fall. First major work other that timing belt several years prior (due to leaking front oil seal)

About a month later it had a rod knock and I figured since I was going to have it apart I'd replace the rings along with the rod bearings due to excessive oil consumption. Oil control rings and return holes were totally coked up.

Now has 225k although it still burns some oil, which I think is getting past the valve guides as it is only visible after extended idling.

Can't afford to replace it so just going to drive it till it falls apart.

OH! The [illegitimate] stepchild of Honda's B-series. The B20A5 and B21A1!

I had a B21A1 sitting in my sister's garage that I got super cheap. I was dreaming of how fast my Civic would be. Then I was told that it was not a real B-series.
21.gif

So it was sold super cheap.
Lost about $10 on that deal.
I at least told my buyer that it wasn't a real B-series.

My last two vehicles:

1984 BMW 325e, purchased with 9,000 miles on it, drove it for 15 years. It had 253,000 miles on it when I traded, and absolutely looked and ran like new. Used Pennzoil 10W-40 oil and Fram filters exclusively.

1999 Mercury Mystique with the 2.5L Duratec engine. Purchased brand new and drove until this August. Traded at 315,000 miles. Car ran like new, did not use oil. Seeped a bit from one valve cover gasket. Dealer did all oil changes with Motorcraft oil and filters.

Both vehicles had many more miles left in them, but female family members were uneasy about me driving a vehicle with over 100,000 miles on it and gave me constant hassle until it was easier just to trade to shut them up.
frown.gif

We rarely keep a car for LESS than 200k. The last car we actually sold, wife's 1993 Eagle Vision TSi (3.5L), had 266k on the clock. I still own (but don't currently drive) my '73 Plymouth satellite (318) with 437,000 miles (engine refresh at 200k). The Polara in my .sig has 305k, and the original engine (383) still ran when I removed it for a 440 at 270k. One transmission rebuild at about 200k. I'm sure that we'll keep my daughter's 99 Cherokee (in sig) past 200k- its currently got 140k- but I'll probably sell the 2wd/automatic therefore boring 2001 Cherokee before it hits 200k. Gotta make room in the garage for that Challenger SRT8 that's on my bucket list... :)

Looking back through the years at other cars in the extended family- There was a '68 Ranchero (302) that made it past 200k, a 63 slant-6 Valiant that came close to 300k, a couple of 80s M-bodies (one 318, one slant-6) that passed 200k, a 74 Mercury Comet that was still going at around 190k. I don't remember how far the 62 Olds Dynamic 88 lasted, but since it was bought well-used and for the number of years it was kept I can't see how it could have had much less than 140k on it.

The few that just simply refused to last that long really stick out in my mind- a 79 Mazda pickup that was a rusting heap (in Texas, if you can believe that!) with a front suspension that repeatedly disentegrated before 100k, and a 78 Plymouth Horizon that Dad kept until 150k, but if he hadn't always assumed "that HAS to be the last big repair!" he would have sold at 60k.

Not sure, but I think my sons Ranger has the most miles on this thread. 353K. See page 2.

1983 olds custom cruiser with original 5.0 307 engine hit 400,000 in october this is a shop car looks like [censored] but still runs every day
i had to change the intake manifold gasket but other than that the engine is very original still starts on first try... not good on gas and not to fast but runs quiet

Our '99 Malibu 2.4L will turn over 205k here in a couple days.

We've only owned it for 55k so IDK what's original and what's not, but I've never replaced anything major..yet.

Going for 300k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back