Anyone using the Fram Tough Guard?

Are they typically the same bypass pressure? I know the Fram 7317 typically is 13 PSI. I know that works for Nissan and Honda - didn't know about the rest?
High bypass spec might only matter a bit on a high perfomance Turbo engine that have filter screen in the banjo fittings that are prone to debris glogging like: WRX STI, Mitsu EVO and alos VTEC oil feed filters on hi-perf Honda engines, TT V6 Infiniti, etc.

9-15psig is der rigueur. Better to have oil than no oil.

Waiting for the positive displacement oil pump comment :)

-Ken

High bypass spec might only matter a bit on a high perfomance Turbo engine that have filter screen in the banjo fittings that are prone to debris glogging like: WRX STI, Mitsu EVO and alos VTEC oil feed filters on hi-perf Honda engines, TT V6 Infiniti, etc.

9-15psig is der rigueur. Better to have oil than no oil.

Waiting for the positive displacement oil pump comment :)

-Ken
LoL ... there will always be oil due to ... wait for it .................... the positive displacement oil pump. :LOL:

The oil filter doesn't impact the oil flow volume to the engine ... UNLESS it's so clogged up and the filter bypass valve is so undersized that it puts the positive displacement oil pump in pressure relief. But even when the PD oil pump is in pressure relief there's still a lot of oil flow unless the oil filter is "dead heading" the pump - very rare case. And PD pumps are typically oversized so there still should be adequate oil volume to force feed all the pressure fed areas of the oiling system.

Actually, a very clogged oil filter with a very high bypass valve setting will put the PD oil pump in pressure relief sooner than a filter with a lower bypass valve setting - ie, there is less headroom between the filter bypass setting and the pump pressure relief setting. The closer the filter bypass setting is to the pump pressure relief gives less room for filter delta-p increase due to loading. Had to get a "delta-p" in there, lol. Examples: If a filter has a bypass of 50 PSI and the pump had a 75 PSI pressure relief, that would only give 25 PSI headroom to work with for all things that cause delta-p across the filter. If it had a bypass setting of 15 PSI it has 60 PSI of headroom.

Last edited:
I purchased a few TG 7317
From Amazon for $6.93/ea....Looks like a quality filter with silicone ADBV....Hard to find a filter for less than $7 with a silicone ADBV.

Amazon prices are weird sometimes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230219-195922_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230219-195922_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 18
I’ve been using these for pretty much the entire time on my 180K Mazda. I run them 7,500 miles but have gone up to 10,000 miles. No issues.

I run them because they provide a warm fuzzy feeling using the slightly better filter than the Extra Guard while not blowing money on the overkill Ultra in my application. It says you can run the Extra Guards for 10K or the Tough Guards for 15K. Ive also been known to push my 10,000 mile OCI, so the Tough Guard has some buffer in there.

I like the silver color too.

Been using Fram oil filters since 1968.....But did use the Lee two stage maxi oil filter a few times too when they were being made...

You have to be careful using them on any of the newer Toyota's. The electronic, computer controlled oil pump will sense it, (much like it does anything but 0W-16 oil), and will automatically shut down, seizing the the engine, and all it's internal parts.
Here's the way I see it. Guy puts a fancy oil pump on an engine ‘cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside. And why shouldn't you? Ya figure you put that little oil pump under your pillow at night, the Engine Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right? The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up… I’ve seen it a hundred times.

I used to think the Tough Guard was a redheaded stepchild - why bother. But maybe its actually the right filter for my short OCI's???

-- 99% @ 20um - same as the Ultra.

-- Synthetic blend media - only a single layer unlike the ultra Dual layer - might be less restrictive?

-- One downside is the fiber end caps - but most here agree they don't fail anyway, so for short OCI then maybe fine?

-- Silicon ADBV. A buck and a half cheaper than the Ultra - which really doesn't matter but its something.

Anyone choose this filter, and why?
I've used several of them. I also cut each filter open. I have 298,000 on my V6 Ford Ranger, and it still runs very good. I normally use Wix, Fram Tough Guard, and Purolator One. All of these are better than the cheaper Fram.

Back