Anyone used Xtreme Performance Automotive Remanufactured Engines?

The "About Us" says they are a distributor. I don't see where they tout their manufacturing or remanufacturing/rebuilding facilities, etc. They tout prices which leads me to believe they find the lowest cost provider to do the work, slap their name on it and ship it.

I don't see anything special about this outfit.
The webpage is basically, "We are a certified parts distributor with an experienced sales staff." - from their "About Us" link.

So who really knows. The page is a bunch of sales puffery.

One example of some vague claims:

Our Ford 302 long block crate engine is now on sale. This 5.0 liter is a beast in Mustangs and other high-performance applications. These motors will cover vehicles that are manufactured between 1981 and 2000. This Ford long block is far from being your everyday rebuilt engine. Our XP1 performance series is a completely remanufactured engine that includes various upgrades to help increase its performance and longevity. If you are looking for a complete drop in crate engine, we sell the necessary components that can be shipped with your long block to make this your last stop in getting back on the road. When it comes to value and performance you won't find anything better than our XP1 302 long block crate engine.

- "The 5.0 is a beast in Mustangs." That's more about the engine as Ford designed it and means nothing here.
- "This Ford long block is far from being your everyday rebuilt engine." - More vague puffery
- "Our XP1 performance series is a completely remanufactured engine that includes various upgrades to help increase its performance and longevity." - Still vague, what upgrades?

All nice sounding words, but what do they really mean?
Our engines are really swell, you should buy from us is pretty much what I'm reading here. No details, just we are the best, pick us.

The price is pretty good, but there has to be at least a few of those in the boneyards. This engine would be a good U-Pull & Pay candidate, they put out a lot of them. I show $500-700 in my area for a removed one with a (short) warranty.

This is in reguads to a 98 chevy s10.
Is there some sentimental attachment to this truck or is it in mint condition? Most people whose engine is bad on a 25 year old 4 cylinder truck would just sell it for scrap. Generally not worth spending $2-3,000 for an engine replacement on something only worth $500-$1000. Maybe if you can DIY a pick-n-pull engine for under $500.

Also, since it mentions the Postal Service uses these in their LLVs, I'd look to see who they use/ how they replace their engines.

Is there some sentimental attachment to this truck or is it in mint condition? Most people whose engine is bad on a 25 year old 4 cylinder truck would just sell it for scrap. Generally not worth spending $2-3,000 for an engine replacement on something only worth $500-$1000. Maybe if you can DIY a pick-n-pull engine for under $500.
Locally the s10 has a $4,500 to $5,000 replacement cost. $1500 is more than I want to spend. Low milage used at $600 used vs $1,500 new was worth considering. Southern truck, no rust, some clearcoat damage, otherwise near perfect body. I hate using my F150 for everything. I'm attending collage 30 miles away and 12 mpg is not great.

I looked a little into that "remanufacturer" I linked too. Its located in a residential neighborhood and operates under at least two names. The fact they claim to dyno test all rheir shortblocks should have been a red flag, not sure how I read that and just accepted it.

Also, since it mentions the Postal Service uses these in their LLVs, I'd look to see who they use/ how they replace their engines.
interesting. I work for the postal service and we exclusively use jasper (at least in my district, but I’d think the entire service would do the same). I feel like we keep jasper afloat. They’re at our facilities daily, dropping off their junk that they won’t hardly even honor warranty on. Some of it doesn’t make it off the lift before we find it’s faulty…we just eat it and deal with it (likely partially due to laziness at many levels of our operation, nobody wants to pursue warranty..but we do employ people to do just that sort of work!!).

I can tell you nothing jasper would ever go in a vehicle I care about. I’d never use it for sidework, family’s cars, nothing.

They do have a division that comes up with “solutions” to common problems. They are all interesting solutions. We use a couple of them, none seem long lasting, but again, given who’s driving these vehicles and the zero accountability, we see way different wear and tear than the real world.

interesting. I work for the postal service and we exclusively use jasper (at least in my district, but I’d think the entire service would do the same). I feel like we keep jasper afloat. They’re at our facilities daily, dropping off their junk that they won’t hardly even honor warranty on. Some of it doesn’t make it off the lift before we find it’s faulty…we just eat it and deal with it (likely partially due to laziness at many levels of our operation, nobody wants to pursue warranty..but we do employ people to do just that sort of work!!).

I can tell you nothing jasper would ever go in a vehicle I care about. I’d never use it for sidework, family’s cars, nothing.

They do have a division that comes up with “solutions” to common problems. They are all interesting solutions. We use a couple of them, none seem long lasting, but again, given who’s driving these vehicles and the zero accountability, we see way different wear and tear than the real world.

Here is the wording eljefino was referring to.

This version of the Chevy 2.2 motor was in production until 2003 when it was replaced by the Ecotech. During that time Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac Isuzu, Chevy and GM cars and trucks. 134 can even be found in some postal vehicles.

The frame and drivetrain of some LLV's are the front half of a 2wd s10 welded to the back half of a 4wd s10 Blazer.

Last edited:
Locally the s10 has a $4,500 to $5,000 replacement cost.
Not from the examples I find on a quick search around here. What's wrong with the engine? Can't be fixed?

Not from the examples I find on a quick search around here. What's wrong with the engine? Can't be fixed?

Rod knock on the first main bearing as it loses oil pressure as it warms up, locked up while nursing it home but turned over when cooled off.

Here is my local marketplace

If that doesn't work I use Mulberry, Arkansas 40 miles range.

Couple in Nashville for $600 (pretty far), must be something special about the ‘98, nothing crosses to it. I would pull the motor & mike the crank, if it can be turned, then undersize bearings & new oil pump. With the head still attached, upside down on a stand. Got any enterprising shade tree BITOGer type mechanics out there in western AR?

Couple in Nashville for $600 (pretty far), must be something special about the ‘98, nothing crosses to it.
Only year with egr, special head and computer.
Can't you drop the oil pan and change the bearings?
@PimTac

Oil pan sits just above a nonremovable crossmember. Got to pull the engine. At least if I find a reasonable replacement, this exact repair would be unlikely.

Back