Anyone used 100% Silicone Roof Coating ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're evaluating Gacoroof 1600 (1) vs Gacoflex S2000 (2) vs Henry Tropi-Cool 887 (3)

Anyone familiar with these? Comments?

The goal is to seal and maintain existing (no leaks, pressure cleaned, flat roofs with membrane).

All are claimed to be 100% silicone, non-VOC, suitable for rubber, modified, tar mopped, etc.

The first two are available on Amazon, only difference (apparently?) is the Gaco 1600 has less solids, so is more forgiving during application/curing where the Gaco S2000 is requires more precision/mixing and faster work speed. All can be rolled on or sprayed although I suspect cleaning equipment will be difficult, likely easier to discard all used tools. Application can also be done with a wide rubber blade ( homedepot.com/p/Latex-ite-18-in-Driveway-Squeegee-12207/100078884 )

The Tropi-Cool 887 is sold by Home Depot and based on youtube videos and online reviews, appears to be almost identical product to the Gaco version(s).

Price wise all are north of 225 per 5 gallon, where the Gaco S2000 is north of 325 per 5 gallon.

White silicone roof sealants have become very popular and we've seen locally these used on flat, sloped, attached roofs as well as cabins, sheds, RV's and more.

None of the products are recommended for asphalt shingles and we don't plan to.

The gacoflex isamazin stuff if applied correctly. I have a flat roof and it has sealed many a water leak.

I haven't used any of these type products but I have a question .....I was at my cousin's yesterday for a Memorial Day BBQ and she mentioned that her fireplace let's some water in when it rains very hard (like a driving rain). She had a wood stove and metal pipe chimney inserted a few years ago when she was told that her stone chimney needed 5 to $6K in repairs. When she first noticed the occasional water coming in....she had a guy come and re-flash and seal the base with roof cement...to no avail. I'm wondering if I used a elastomeric paint type coating on the stone would it fix her leak....I'm thinking that it might work it's way into some cracks in the mortar? Any thoughts or ideas? I don't mean to hijack this thread so if somebody has an idea and wants to PM me...I'm all ears....Thanks.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I haven't used any of these type products but I have a question .....I was at my cousin's yesterday for a Memorial Day BBQ and she mentioned that her fireplace let's some water in when it rains very hard (like a driving rain). She had a wood stove and metal pipe chimney inserted a few years ago when she was told that her stone chimney needed 5 to $6K in repairs. When she first noticed the occasional water coming in....she had a guy come and re-flash and seal the base with roof cement...to no avail. I'm wondering if I used a elastomeric paint type coating on the stone would it fix her leak....I'm thinking that it might work it's way into some cracks in the mortar? Any thoughts or ideas? I don't mean to hijack this thread so if somebody has an idea and wants to PM me...I'm all ears....Thanks.

You could just rebuild the chimney properly instead of going from hack job to hack job.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

You could just rebuild the chimney properly instead of going from hack job to hack job.

That's above my abilities.....I'm just trying to help her out as she is a senior on a fixed income....I'm thinking there is a product that would find it's way into the cracks and fix what is a very infrequent leak...it's worth a shot.

That's above my abilities.....I'm just trying to help her out as she is a senior on a fixed income...

That's a valid question.

We all know SOMEONE who is "in that boat!"

without spending a lot of $$$ all the exposed chimney could be repointed, not hard but time consuming + of course the chimney base that is usually problematic neets the most attention. there are a lot of good old + newer products today, so some searching on a specific site tuned to those repairs is usually best. finding a reliable local "mister fix it" can save a lot over a big contractor with big overhead + profit margin, kinda like the car "stealer" vs a good local mechanic!!

Roofing cement is a temp fix. Normally when you reflash a chimney, you use lead. It's kinda heavy which is why it's on the floor at home depot. Get more quotes too, 5-6k is like the price for a new chimney. Around here, reflashing a chimney is in the $300-$500 range, but you hear of guys charging 1-2k. It's whatever they think they can get the owner to pay.

My experience was with water leaking between the brick and flue and into the attic. I sealed cracks in the exterior mortar and bricks and the space between the flue and bricks with GE Silicone caulking and got a liquid heavy duty "water repellent" that I also applied to all the exterior bricks.. This stopped the leaks.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
My experience was with water leaking between the brick and flue and into the attic. I sealed cracks in the exterior mortar and bricks and the space between the flue and bricks with GE Silicone caulking and got a liquid heavy duty "water repellent" that I also applied to all the exterior bricks.. This stopped the leaks.

Thanks....that's the kind of 'repair' (or as one guy called it 'hack job') that I'm trying to accomplish. I'll probably drive to her home (45 min. away) next week and do a combination of pointing between the stone with mortar, caulking and water-proofing with a product like you describe. Do you remember the name of the product? I'm thinking there is something a bit thicker than Thompson Water Seal.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
It's been over 13 years since I did the repair and I don't live there now. I have forgotten the product name , but it came in a 5 gallon size and was to be used for masonry not wood. I sprayed it on.

Thanks....that's the kind of 'repair' (or as one guy called it 'hack job') that I'm trying to accomplish. I'll probably drive to her home (45 min. away) next week and do a combination of pointing between the stone with mortar, caulking and water-proofing with a product like you describe. Do you remember the name of the product? I'm thinking there is something a bit thicker than Thompson Water Seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back