Anyone try the Aisin 0WS fluid?

Swapped out fluid in the XC last week to this. We bought it at 70k, and it was always a little jerky and erratic by times. Software update helped a bit. I changed it to T4 toyota(yes I know it calls for "ws" spec fluid) at about 150k, it was VERY dark and bad smelling. It was alot smoother, but I was never happy with the easy driving shifts, it was a little too soft IMO. Past about 1/2 throttle was ok. I was going to try Maxlife, but I didn't like it in another Volvo I had. So decided to try Aisin, as hey if they build the trans, they should know it. Its got 235k on it now, and fluid actually looked decent when it came out. With this fluid , it shifts better than it ever has. Shifts are quick and clean with no harshness. Should have does this awhile ago. Dont see many folks on here posting about it, was curious on anyones thoughts. Its going in the V60 next.

People on the Toyota forums talk about it once in a while...it’s a little cheaper than the WS fluid (if I remember) and I think it’s a synthetic (whereas Toyota WS is not). It’s very close to the Toyota WS specs but not exactly the same. If I remember, and I’m not sure I do, the Toyota WS had a slightly lower viscosity rating.

I’d buy it and use it in full confidence.

I can definitely tell you this...if you had left Toyota WS fluid in that Grammy from 150,000-235,000 miles, it wouldn’t have looked “decent” when it came out. Lol. For some reason that fluid almost never looks decent when it comes out, it’s usually dark. Christ, I’ve seen it come out of two of my vehicles now, one with only 50,000 miles on it, looking almost black like motor oil. The other with 70,000 (and same thing). Both instances the car was babied. No shifting issues whatsoever. And no shifting issues after the fluid change either. But that WS fluid just loves to change color...Ive read it’s the dye they use but I find that hard to believe.

Mine was black at 21,400 miles. WS is flushing fluid in my book. Run it for 10,000 on a new car and dump the break-in out and put in better.

I can definitely tell you this...if you had left Toyota WS fluid in that Grammy from 150,000-235,000 miles, it wouldn’t have looked “decent” when it came out. Lol. For some reason that fluid almost never looks decent when it comes out, it’s usually dark. Christ, I’ve seen it come out of two of my vehicles now, one with only 50,000 miles on it, looking almost black like motor oil. The other with 70,000 (and same thing). Both instances the car was babied. No shifting issues whatsoever. And no shifting issues after the fluid change either. But that WS fluid just loves to change color...Ive read it’s the dye they use but I find that hard to believe.
In my experience, only the factory fill of WS turns dark. Subsequent fills stay clean, even for 40-50K intervals. This is assuming that you do a 10-12 qt flush on a U660E (that only holds 7 quarts) each time.

In my experience, only the factory fill of WS turns dark. Subsequent fills stay clean, even for 40-50K intervals. This is assuming that you do a 10-12 qt flush on a U660E (that only holds 7 quarts) each time.
You know what? Now that I think about it, you’re right.

Wife drove XC today.....about 600 miles on fluid. She drove this for last 4 years or so since we bought it, till we got the Prius. She says tonight" What did you do to the car?" what you mean I say....lol..... "Well it shifts so much better, what did you do?" Guess its not just me😄

Wife drove XC today.....about 600 miles on fluid. She drove this for last 4 years or so since we bought it, till we got the Prius. She says tonight" What did you do to the car?" what you mean I say....lol..... "Well it shifts so much better, what did you do?" Guess its not just me😄
Your XC has the 6 speed tranny correct? Not sure your tranny is spec'd for it, but my 2016 S60 T6 Drive-e has the 8 Speed Automatic TG81 and I've been Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic with zero issues.

I've bought Aisin WS for my '20 Camry Hybrid, but haven't put it in yet. It's an Aisin transmission (er, "power splitting device") that calls for a WS-rated ATF, so I'm going to assume that Aisin knows what their devices need. I'll do the drain and fill on the PSD when the car gets to 40K, and report back.

Back