Anyone think I can use Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 in my cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
Sorry XHVI........I disagree.......the "W" rating is what was achieved with additives. The number after the dash is the base oil that was used for the formulation. That is why M1 0W-40 has much higher viscosity values than M1 10W-30......go check it out........

The W rating is the cold or Winter viscosity rating. See the Lubrizol link above for the complete listing of cold and hot viscosities and test temperatures. The viscosity number without the W is the hot viscosity, always 100°C. None of these directly relate to the base oil or the additive package...it takes a combination of ingredients to yield the final result.

Ken

[ November 30, 2002, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Ken ]

quote:

Sorry XHVI........I disagree.......the "W" rating is what was achieved with additives. The number after the dash is the base oil that was used for the formulation. That is why M1 0W-40 has much higher viscosity values than M1 10W-30......

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

XHVI....thank you for your qualified answer...I guess that's what you do when you don't know what to say anymore.....like I said ......go check it out ........

quote:

XHVI....thank you for your qualified answer...I guess that's what you do when you don't know what to say anymore.....like I said ......go check it out ........

Sir, you're the one who needs to "go check it out." Educate yourself on base oils and viscosity index improvers (and their functions) before you go posting about things of which you are so obviously ignorant.

The VI improver is added to a relatively low weight base oil to make it behave like a relatively heavy weight oil at high temps. A 5w30 oil will thus be made with a lower viscosity base oil than a 10w30 oil. And unless the base oil used in the 5w30 has a sufficiently high natural VI, the 5w30 will require more VI improver than the 10w30. There are base oils that have such a high natural VI that no VI improver is required at all. Typically, these are only Group IV PAOs. Mobil claims that its 20w50 Mobil 1 motorcycle oil has no VI improver, and I suspect their SuperSyn 10w30 probably has none too, given it's only a 20wt spread.

Alex D

FWIW if you need a group III oil all the Motorcraft oils are group III's now and Walmarts have them for cheap,,many wt's are avaiable

Dragboat, how do you know they're group 3 now?

it's to my understanding Motorcraft uses whatever brand that gives them the cheapest contract (Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, etc) and changes from week to week.

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
FWIW if you need a group III oil all the Motorcraft oils are group III's now and Walmarts have them for cheap,,many wt's are avaiable

This is not correct. Conoco makes Motorcraft oil, and only the 5w20 has Group III in the base oil blend. 5w30 is Group II+ and the other grades are Group II.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
it's to my understanding Motorcraft uses whatever brand that gives them the cheapest contract (Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, etc) and changes from week to week.

Not true. Conoco has been the sole maker of Motorcraft oil for over 12 years.

I happened to be at Wally Mart yesterday picking up a couple of last minute things and browsed around the automotive section. I looked at the Rotella Syn 5W40 bottle... I have considered running this before in my diesel tractor as several folks do over at the TrByNet site...I currently use Mystik (Citgo) 10W30 Diesel. I noticed the bottle did not have the API Starburst designation. Any significance or meaning to this?

Metroplex and XHVI,
Please take the oppurtunity to go to the Conoco site and look at the CAS #'s for the Motorcraft oils instead of guessing and posting first
smile.gif

I would not have posted unless I had seen the numbers ok? The balance will be a tad bit of group I ans possibly some II to help with additive fallout,a problem with group III's even the Shell oil I think
tongue.gif
Or do they not need additives ?
tongue.gif

Just razzin,don't get all wound up.
wink.gif

quote:

Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 is a very reasonable synthetic motor oil. It is rate CH-4 , SL.....do you guys think this is an oil that can be sed in a car that has 10W-30 as requirement??

My opinion is for a buck more a quart I would go the the John Deere dealer and get the 0/40 plus 50 they sell.I think it is a better all around oil IMO and worth the extra buck. I would certainly use it before the M1 0/40 in my car,again imo if you don't like the motorcraft oil or the very good Chevron/Texaco oils
wink.gif

[ December 25, 2002, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

quote:

Originally posted by surge:
I have considered running this before in my diesel tractor as several folks do over at the TrByNet site...I currently use Mystik (Citgo) 10W30 Diesel. I noticed the bottle did not have the API Starburst designation. Any significance or meaning to this?

Surge,

In a tractor the API starburst can be detrimental to the engine, if present on the oil you choose. The API will meet the requirements of new OTR trucks and light duty trucks. But in tractors a more robust additive package is desired. Higher corrosion package etc. Idling the engine for periods of time.
Additive packages are used up quicker in tractors because of the high-load conditions, usually up to 85% during the use, extreme dust etc. An OTR generally uses 30-35% power to puruse the highway, a tractor 85%+. A more robust package won't pass the API CI. John Deere oil is one oil that fits this category.

This is a generalization, but API approved doesn't always apply to tractors or marine use. Check the owners manual.

Now having said all the above, some API oils are excellent in tractors. For an OTC look at Penzoil, Motorcraft, Delvac, Delo etc. But in the winter in your tractor look at the 10W30. Generally any oil that meets CG/CH will work. Without going to synthetic Schaeffer's 15W40 has a -41 pour point and will work fine in your temps year around in an unheated garage. Go to the analysis section to see analysis on several diesels running this oil, and a couple of autos also. A well rounded oil.

[ December 25, 2002, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Metroplex and XHVI,
Please take the oppurtunity to go to the Conoco site and look at the CAS #'s for the Motorcraft oils instead of guessing and posting first
smile.gif

Here's a number for you: CAS 64742-54-7. This is the CAS# for BOTH Group II and Group III base oils that are hydrocracked and isodewaxed. It's the CAS# that Amsoil lists for its reformulated XL-7500 and it's the CAS# listed for Conoco's Hydroclear as well as Motorcraft. When it comes to base oil produced by the Chevron licensed hydrocracking and isodewaxing method, there is no separate CAS# for Group II and Group III base oils.

Edit: What I posted above can be confirmed by looking at Chevron's MSDS sheets for their Group II Neutrals as well as their Group III UCBO. Click here. The only Group III base oils that I know for sure have a different CAS# are wax isomerates like Shell's XHVI and ExxonMobil's ExxSyn. That number is 92062-09-4.

[ December 25, 2002, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: XHVI ]

I just switched to Rotella synthetic 5W-40 after using Valvoline 10W-30. The oil pressure went up by 10 psi at all temps. It seems that is a liitle thicker than 10W-30 at cold temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back