Anyone see this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
This was not just a few microns of wear difference (e.g. 5 microns vs. 20 microns). The difference was significantly greater than that.

Thanks Valvman. I have a few questions for you though.

1. Why doesn't Valvoline meet GM 4178M and Honda HTO-06?

2. You don't reveal what the wear number differences are. How can one make any conclusion with no data? Knowledgable members on here realize that "one" sequence test doesn't prove one oil is better than another. Ex. ACEA A1/B1 A5/B5

3. According to an OEM auto engineer, Mobil 1 has no wear control issues and performs very well in high powered engines. Mobil 1 also meets ACEA specifications. How do you account for this and the thousands of high peformance cars on the road that use Mobil 1 and have no wear issues at all?

I will say that oil analysis results do show Mobil 1 to be average at best in wear control going by used oil analysis.

Did Valvoline test against any other Mobil1 grades or M1 EP 5W-30?

Some people here have concluded from UOAs that the regular M1 5W-30 is Mobil's weakest link in their synthetic oil line. Thats why some people use 10W-30 instead.

My point is that a single oil grade does not represent the performance of a manufacture's entire line of oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Did Valvoline test against any other Mobil1 grades or M1 EP 5W-30?

Some people here have concluded from UOAs that the regular M1 5W-30 is Mobil's weakest link in their synthetic oil line. Thats why some people use 10W-30 instead.

My point is that a single oil grade does not represent the performance of a manufacture's entire line of oils.

Agreed 100%.

You can't be the best in every specification and there are trade offs in formulating motor oil, as Roy Howell said.

Valvoline will show 4 X lower wear in a Seq IVA test. I believe it. Mobil however, meets GM 4178M and Honda HTO-06, Synpower does not. This is often why we see ZERO difference in wear in most passenger cars when comparing conventional oil to synthetic. There are none.

My .02

Why is Valvoline so secretive about these results that they are advertising? Don't they have to put these types of things in tiny letters at the bottom of the screen to protect themselves from false advertising?

Hasn't Valvoline stated what wear test this was? I don't see how it's secretive. I'm sure they have to divulge the results and I'm sure Exxon/Mobil has them, regardless what the cust. service reps have stated.

Quote:
I will say that oil analysis results do show Mobil 1 to be average at best in wear control going by used oil analysis.

With that said, why is Mobil 1 hyped as such a great oil then? I was using it and felt that my engine was not running up to par. I ended up changing over to the oil that starts with A and have noticed a fair increase in felt performance and a mile or so increase in mpg's. I also happened to pass smog. Honestly, I did not make one other change to my truck besides run the engine flush made by the company that starts with A.

Sorry. I didn't want to come across as a crazed Amsoil supporter. It just happens to be my new fav oil.

Originally Posted By: Bob The Builder

Quote:

With that said, why is Mobil 1 hyped as such a great oil then? I was using it and felt that my engine was not running up to par. I ended up changing over to the oil that starts with A and have noticed a fair increase in felt performance and a mile or so increase in mpg's. I also happened to pass smog. Honestly, I did not make one other change to my truck besides run the engine flush made by the company that starts with A.

Sorry. I didn't want to come across as a crazed Amsoil supporter. It just happens to be my new fav oil.

1. It is not uncommon for a simple oil change to make or break an e-test on a vehicle that is close to the line. A change of the same brand and grade of oil; just the fact that it's FRESH oil can do this.

2. If you felt a difference between up to par and not, with just an oil change for a different BRAND (with the viscosity remaining the exact same), then I think your "performance meter" might be feeding you lies IMHO. Perhaps you WANTED to feel a difference?

3. I've got over 1,000,000Km on various grades of Mobil 1. I have never noticed a performance variance between different BRANDS of the same grade. But I have in going from different WEIGHTS of oil; from 5w50 to 0w20 for example in my Mustang. My Lincoln (car with miles in my signature) passed E-test blowing almost ZEROS across the board. And it's not the oil. It's simply a well-maintained engine. My 1987 GT passed E-test (barely) with no catalytic converters and no pollution pump. And that wasn't the oil. It's a well maintained engine that now lives-on in my Capri.

4. Amsoil is an EXCELLENT product. I have used it myself in various applications and have nothing but good things to say about it. But like those who go overboard supporting Royal Purple, I think some people THINK there is a bigger difference than what there really was. They WANT to feel/hear a difference. Just my opinion. And this applies to any oil.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
At least Valvoline claims A5 for thier 30 weights, Mobil claims A1.

Uhhhh, what?

Mobil 1 5W-30 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.asp

Mobil 1 10W-30 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
ACEA A1, B1, A5,B5

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_10W-30.asp

Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy meets or exceeds the following industry specifications
ACEA A1,B1

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-30_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.asp

It would appear that all of their 30 weights EXCEPT the 0w30 meet A5/B5.

Well, all that varies with the monthly bottle label/formula changes and I dunno why the "new" 0w-30 does not meet A5 when the old 0w-30 does.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
At least Valvoline claims A5 for thier 30 weights, Mobil claims A1.

Uhhhh, what?

Mobil 1 5W-30 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.asp

Mobil 1 10W-30 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
ACEA A1, B1, A5,B5

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_10W-30.asp

Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy meets or exceeds the following industry specifications
ACEA A1,B1

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-30_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.asp

It would appear that all of their 30 weights EXCEPT the 0w30 meet A5/B5.

That's over kill.

Quote:
Wear - With all the concern about lower zinc in motor oil, SynPower responded with advanced, more durable anti-wear additives that stay in the oil longer for outstanding protection against friction and wear.

Originally Posted By: daman
Ok, how does it "stay in the oil longer"???

Possibly just a better grade of ZDP or proprietary antiwear package they are using.

Oils are always changing.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I caught that too but I wanted the test numbers more so I let it go. Valvoline is not doing well here.

I couldn't care less about all the marketing stuff. The fact is, Valvoline Synpower is routinely found on sale and is far cheaper than Mobil 1. That along with the fact that the oil seems to be a very good product means that it SHOULD be doing well here. I thought that's why we're here? To find the real info...regarding Synpower, we know the deal.

pickled AMsoil has for year's played games with their chart's. Their numbers where real and I never had a problem with that but the scale would be all over the place to show dramtic visuals!!!LOL!!! I am not a STAT major or anything but business degree's are full of math and charts so scale is very meaningful and everyone with any sense knows how to manipulate the chart to make things more dramatic then they are!!!LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back