Anyone running these BFGoodrich tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Advantage+T%2FA+Sport+LT&partnum=67TR7ATASLT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Looks like a new design that tested well. Reviews are pretty good across the board. The price is around $60 less than comparable tires from other manufacturers.

Opinions?

The ranking is 1 out of 31. looks like a winner. as far as reviews across the board: you will find that on most tires. I would purchase them.

I like this note

Note: While non-winter tires featuring the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol provide additional longitudinal snow traction beyond what all-season (M+S) tires not bearing the symbol can deliver, they do not match the capability of a true winter tire in all adverse weather conditions.

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by krzyss
I like this note

Note: While non-winter tires featuring the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol provide additional longitudinal snow traction beyond what all-season (M+S) tires not bearing the symbol can deliver, they do not match the capability of a true winter tire in all adverse weather conditions.

KrzyÅ›

Yet consumer reports has tested some of these All Weather tires in snow and they outperformed dedicated snow tires.

When looking for tires for my Santa Fe, I considered these. However, too many reviewers said they were to slippery in rain, and given the rain here in WA state.......

What if AS tire passes 3MPSF test? It may be some vendors put it on and some don't.
AS passenger tires may be getting to the point of AT truck tires. They do pass the test but more by accident than design.

I think 3MPSF test checks acceleration and/or braking and it has some low threshold.

"In order to obtain approval, the snow grip index of the tire in question must be at least 1.07 compared to a standard reference tire called SRTT." - from European page.

"This symbol is a seal of approval of sorts that indicates the tire has been tested and it is capable of at least 110 percent of the traction of a reference all-season tire (for the nerds, the standard is ASTM E1136-14)." - Car & Driver

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...ed-merging-all-seasons-and-winter-tires/

107-110% of reference traction may not that much.

KrzyÅ›

Thanks for the article krzyss...spent awhile following links down the rabbit hole. Agree that no way will an all season beat a winter tire on ice and snow.

Originally Posted by Brigadier

When looking for tires for my Santa Fe, I considered these. However, too many reviewers said they were to slippery in rain, and given the rain here in WA state.......

I read that in some, less than 5% of reviews. Makes you wonder if some of the reviewers expected their tires to handle in the wet same as in dry conditions. On the Tirerack charts it shows wet traction a 9.0 - indicates to me that wet traction is really quite good.

One thing I did see is that when water is mostly dried after a shower was when the tires were slick...but then again so is every tire.

Originally Posted by JLTD

BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Advantage+T%2FA+Sport+LT&partnum=67TR7ATASLT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Looks like a new design that tested well. Reviews are pretty good across the board. The price is around $60 less than comparable tires from other manufacturers.

Opinions?

For around the same price (within five dollars per tire, on TR). the Cooper Discoverer SRX has an "A" traction rating as apposed to a "B" traction rating on the BFG tire. The Cooper is well reviewed across the internet. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

If you want a tire with the 3PMSF, the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S has it, and for about the same price. And also an "A" traction rating.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I don't understand why BFG made a new aftermarket tire that has a "B" traction rating.

I like this note

KrzyÅ›

My Yokohama Geolandar A/T tires have the 3PMSF symbol and as the note made by Tire Rack mentions, they are not the same as a designated snow/ice tire. I love the Yokos but somewhat surprised by their (low) snow performance. Not horrible, but a bit lackluster in my opinion. They are sweet riding, quiet and do great on wet roads, though.

Originally Posted by Voleak
...I don't understand why BFG made a new aftermarket tire that has a "B" traction rating.

+1. I really, really liked the old Traction T/A tires I had years ago. They were great, very aggressive in all types of terrain and driving... but I haven't seen much outta BFG since then thats appealing.

Originally Posted by dustyroads
I like this note

KrzyÅ›

My Yokohama Geolandar A/T tires have the 3PMSF symbol and as the note made by Tire Rack mentions, they are not the same as a designated snow/ice tire. I love the Yokos but somewhat surprised by their (low) snow performance. Not horrible, but a bit lackluster in my opinion. They are sweet riding, quiet and do great on wet roads, though.
I have the Geos on both the F-450 & the XJ (in summer)-they do just fine in deep snow, but they're a handful on ice. The XJ actually has a set of Conti WInterContacts on old rusty steelies for winter, they do great in ice or light snow, but the rare 6 inch plus snow makes them work pretty hard-I would bet the Geos could outdo them when it gets really deep.

KO2's in the C load range if you need a LT tire and that size. I have purchased about a dozen sets in the last few years for a multitude of trucks/SUV's. Simply can't be beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back