anyone running a chonda vertical shaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several GX clone horizonal shafts (that I love) and am thinking of getting a cheap OHV mower. I understand the 139cc size as seen on $150 MTDs is approx 3.5 hp on the "old system". I'm happy with this level of power on a 20" cut but does anyone have 1st hand experience with the actual torque etc? Quietness, fuel consumption? My deck is rusty, my carb is crabby-- time for an all new get-up.
laugh.gif
Wondering if the grass is any greener than another briggs flathead, and I think it must be.

Will never last as long as the [censored] flatheads.20-30 years is average for those.

Based on the Honda GC OHC I've had for 13yrs and the newer Briggs OHV I've got, they use less fuel, have lots of power and are smoother overall.

Like NHGUY says though, you can guarantee all the fiddly little bits on these engines will cause failures way earlier than old flat heads will.

Joel

Well I got it, a MTD with "Powermore" engine. Immediately I was reminded of poverty when I opened the box and bumped into my thin gauge deck. White plastic wheels must be expensive to make as this machine came with dull grey ones, probably recycled walmart shopping bags.

The handle mounted with two bolts on each side, one yellow, one white/grey. MTD's crack research and development team discovered how these mowers fatigue at the handle/deck interface from doing "wheelies" and oversized one, just one, bolt on each side to fix this. (I myself reinforced my fasteners on my old one with the welder in this spot, causing a nifty under-deck grass fire in the process.)

The starter rope pulled out and sat limply like an overcooked strand of spaghetti. I turned the blade (no gas yet) back to wheel it in and discovered the blade striking the deck near the grass discharge chute. Not coincidentally the nearly instantly fading red paint smells not-quite dry, and makes one reminisce for the insides of a Harbor Freight store.

I rush to the computer to complain to amazon.com in hopes for a credit along with instructions to junk the thing. No such luck; they demanded I print a UPS return label. Okay, let's not get brash. I bend a mounting tab on the starter doohickey so it lines up with the flywheel and bend the deck out of the way of the blade, both with my trusty vise grips.

Add fuel and oil, start it up. Sounds like any other one lung engine.

Notes: Has an all plastic gas tank with a fancy cap that looks like it will seal well and not evaporate off between mow jobs. Has a nice wide mouth fuel filler that works well with those goofy smog gas cans. Claims 10% ethanol compatibility. Oil drain options are a protruding bolt under the deck (I like briggs' pipe plug with 3/8" indented square) or one above-decks that spills right onto the deck. (Might be meant for pressure washers etc instead.)

But, hey, it's time for a mower the wife can't complain about for a few years. My yard does well with a 20" mower; it has rolly hill features that get better sculpted than they'd be with something bigger.

Well I mowed once with it. Tall, damp grass. Does the typical "MTD thing" of clumping on the left side when pulled backwards instead of pushing forwards.

Engine starts at a low RPM then politely reaches speed, not like a crack head briggs that desperately runs WOT until it hits its governor then backs off. Was noisy at the start but got quieter as it broke in. Muffler points straight ahead like a headlight; I see puffs of exhaust sometimes blowing the grass that's about to get cut.

Thing has a sticker that reads "10w30" in inch high letters. They're serious!!!

Did you order this from Amazon with the understanding it was a potential pig in a poke?

Why not get a Wal-Mart special MTD with a B&S if you were going cheap?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Well I got it, a MTD with "Powermore" engine. Immediately I was reminded of poverty when I opened the box..

I'm not sure how MTD has the wheels/spindles setup on the newer stuff, but check that area out too. I've added washers to those in the past to help reduce flex/breakage.

FWIW, a good thing about the setup you have is it's got to be a breeze to push. Nice and light. I can't say that about my Snapper 21". You'd wear yourself out if it wasn't S.P.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Why not get a Wal-Mart special MTD with a B&S if you were going cheap?

I was specifically interested in the OHV design. Figure if Oldsmobile made it work in cars in 1948 maybe it was about time for outdoor power equipment to have the same tech.

My old MTD deck wallowed out its holes at the wheel bolts; I got some universal strapping predrilled with 3/8" holes that I welded in to reinforce it. If I manage to dump pick an aluminum or composite deck, it's going in my fleet for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back