Anyone Run Redline MT-90 in Manual Transmissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone Run Redline MT-90 in Manual Transmissions? i run it in my 02 spec v transaxle and its great even in the cold. Anyone else running it?

I've used it in my Audis in the past, but ultimately decided I liked Motul Gear 300 better...especially for winter use.

Best,

Sure, lots of people run Red Line fluids in their transmissions. I run MTL in my VWs and just put MT-85 in my Miata.

robert

Its a syn oil, it has a better cold pour point so your transmission isnt as stiff in winter when its sub freezing and the oils cold.

not 90... Too thick for mine. I have run MTL in the past in my BMW, but found tht Amsoil's MTL (the thinner one) maintains consistent shifting longer and in more diverse conditions.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Amsoil MTG > Redline MT-90.
Used both in my Nissan 6 speed. No contest.

Yep,I agree. MT90 was too thick,and gave my tranny "clunky" shifts.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Amsoil MTG > Redline MT-90.
Used both in my Nissan 6 speed. No contest.

So you think the the Amsoil MTG will run smoother then the mt90 in my transaxle?

the Nissan transaxle requires a GL-4 Base Not a GL-5 due to high sulfur contents. Is the Amsoil GL-4?

okay, do you think i will notice a difference between the Amsoil MTG from the Redline MT-90? The Spec V six speed transaxle is very finicky on oil, and i live in a area that reaches single digits right now.

Nissan now uses GL4 75w85 for most of their originally 90 weight manual transmissions. This addresses some of their shift issues.

MT90 has always worked well in all the Nissans that I've installed it in.

MT85, or any other 75w85, is what you'd want to use.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Nissan now uses GL4 75w85 for most of their originally 90 weight manual transmissions. This addresses some of their shift issues.

MT90 has always worked well in all the Nissans that I've installed it in.

MT85, or any other 75w85, is what you'd want to use.

I know the viscosity they specify, I have read the factory service manual and I'm asking how other synthetics do.

Amsoil MTG is a lil thinner than Redline MT90. The Amsoil shifted alot smoother and had a more "precise" feel. I just felt the MT90 was too thick and made the shifts clunky and less precision. It would also want to hang in 1st gear when doing a 1st to 2nd shift. Nissan now recommends 75W85 for my 300ZX,whereas 15 years ago they recommended 75W90. Maybe they figured out the 75W90 was too thick?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Amsoil MTG is a lil thinner than Redline MT90. The Amsoil shifted alot smoother and had a more "precise" feel. I just felt the MT90 was too thick and made the shifts clunky and less precision. It would also want to hang in 1st gear when doing a 1st to 2nd shift. Nissan now recommends 75W85 for my 300ZX,whereas 15 years ago they recommended 75W90. Maybe they figured out the 75W90 was too thick?

how many miles do you have in the 300zx tranny? you have to go through Nissan to get 75w85 [censored] stealerships! you also have to think that i have a engine that produces alot of torque the vq35 coupled with the spec v gear box in which is up to the task because it is the same as the maxima's tranny except the difference in the drive final ratio. I need something stout that put up with the torque, but has to have great cold operation properties. im running redline MT-90 right now as stated above^, i want something thats up to the task of hard driving, any alternatives to Amsoil and Redline

Neo 75w90HD
Torco RTF
Synmax 75w90HD
Motul Gear300
LubroMoly 75w90
Ford, Dodge, GM, Kia/Hyundai/Nissan... 75w85 and 75w90's
Eneos MT
Idemitsu MTF
Redline MT90
Amsoil MTG
Redline MT85
Redline 75w90NS
Synlube
BG
Wynn's
Fuch/Silkolene

Along with the over the road SAE50 manual fluids(usually GL4) and the OTR GL5 non-LSD 75w90's.

Plenty of stout choices in the GL4 and non-LSD GL5 gear oils.

Since there are NO identical transmissions, ALL OF THE FLUIDS I LISTED DO WELL IN EVERY TRANSMISSION THAT I'VE USED OR INSTALLED THEM IN. For the colder climates, go a little thinner if you have a shift issue.

Interesting comments. Two days ago I bought some MT-90 to put in my new beater Peugeot. I got it because the Jeep guys like it in the same transmission.

It will probably be a few weeks before I get around to putting it in.

Its not that i dislike the redline mt-90 its that when i want to flush the fluid again, maybe there is a better synthetic GL-4 option, and YES i saw the giant list of Gear Lubes posted. like mechtech2 said every vehicle is driven in a different manner,condtions ETC....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back