Anyone run Nokian’s year round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking about replacing the A/S tires on my Subaru Legacy and narrowed it down to Continental Pure Contact or the Pirelli P7 All Seasons Plus. However, I am still concerned about snow traction and really do not want to run a dedicated snow tire as the car is not driven a lot and when it snows bad we use our other car that has snow tires.

Anyhow I am now considering the Nokian WRG3, they would be about $140 than the Pirelli’s and $185 more than the Continental’s but it sounds like it my solve my winter driving concerns.

My questions is has anyone run the Nokian WRG3 year round and what kind of performance (MPG, Handling, noise, etc.) did you have in the spring/summer/fall?

They are supposedly LRR tires so I am hopeful that the MPG’s will not take a hit, but I am thinking that they might be a little louder than a normal A/S tire in the warmer months? Also, I just don’t want anything that is going to wear quickly or feel spongy.

What is the tread rating? I ran the WRG2's once and found tread life lacking. 30k and done. At the time I was doing something like 30k/year so it would have worked ok--new set every fall. I think they got noisy towards the end though.

In the end I decided to use a/s and snows, as the WRG2's lacked traction in the snow. No surprise there, but in the end I didn't like the tradeoffs. It seemed like they just weren't that much better than a/s, high cost/mile, too many compromises. To me. YMMV.

I had the WR G2 SUV on my RAV4 for about two years and 50,000 miles. They were excellent in the snow the first year, and passable the second - once the surface siping is worn off, they aren't a whole lot better than any other all-season tire. Wet grip was never great with them, either. They were much quieter than a full-blown winter tire, if that's a concern. Overall (and especially considering the cost) I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of getting them, but I wouldn't get them again, either.

My Mom is running the WRG3s on her Fusion. I put them on there last winter. I'd have to look up my records, but she only puts on like 5k miles/year.
She loves the tires, but she doesn't really notice much. We don't track MPGS or anything.
She did notice the massive increase in snow traction after I put them on. The first snowfall we had, she called me after she got to work and told me she wanted to drive through the snow again with them.
I suspect that they are probably only good for 30-50k miles, which, at the rate she puts on miles they would still end up pretty old for a tire, so I couldn't have cared less.
I'd say, if you are doing maybe 10kish or less per year, drive well mannered, and just want to get from A-B and B-A reliably in all weather conditions then these are your tires.
Otherwise, I would look for something else.

Last edited:
Depends how much driving you are doing in winter, if its minimal they will work fine. My folks have the wgr3's and like them.. but they dont drive much at all..

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I'd say, if you are doing maybe 10kish or less per year, drive well mannered, and just want to get from A-B and B-A reliably in all weather conditions then these are your tires.
Otherwise, I would look for something else.

I only drive like 8-10,000 miles a year as I work from home, so when it is really bad out I don’t have to drive but then again I live in the NE so you never know what Mother Nature is going to throw at you.

What would be that something else? I was looking at the Continental Pure Contact or the Pirelli P7 All Seasons Plus, or is there a better 205/60/16 V rated A/S tire for the winter months? I am not interested in running two separate sets of tires on this car; we do that on our primary vehicle.

Wife ran the original WR on her Jetta all year long while living in WI. They did fine for a few years. Once she moved down to TX, high summer temps killed them pretty quickly though.

Performance was fine for a basic daily driver. With a 195/65/15 tire size, you can't really talk about top notch summer performance/handling, regardless of what tire model you use.

Originally Posted By: Picky1

I only drive like 8-10,000 miles a year as I work from home, so when it is really bad out I don’t have to drive but then again I live in the NE so you never know what Mother Nature is going to throw at you.

For that usage I think you'd get your money's worth from them. I'd guess they would last in the 35-50K range. Will they last as long as the AS tires you list? Unlikely. Will they outperform them in winter? Likely.

I'd run WRG3 on my Outback, but their lack of local availability for me keeps them off the radar.

the WRg2 suv lasted 33k and its now at 3/32 on a 2013 outback.

you dont list the tire size or year of the legacy

might consider altimax rt43 they are available in H/V rated depending on size

most 17" sizes are V rated

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29

I wanted to chime in as I have the Nokian WR G3 w/nitrogen fill on my Volvo C3O, I bought from a Jack Williams tire store here in Pa a few months ago to replace a set of kumhos that had worn out. They are a good tire and ride very quiet (A little quieter than the kumhos). Although they could be better in wet conditions and handling. They aren't the worst tires I've had in he rain. They seam to get slightly better highway mileage about +.5 MPG than the kumhos. They are a little pricey for what they are, for a daily driver they are great If you plan to autocross not so much. I haven't used them in snow yet, I wish I could help more in this area, It will be interesting when the snow flies. The ones I bought are made in Russia.

Originally Posted By: Rand
might consider altimax rt43 they are available in H/V rated depending on size
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29

Sorry, should have included that the OEM tire size for my car is 205/60/16 91V, doesn't look like the General's are avail in that size/speed rating.

Found the Nokian's in this size, and they have a 500 AA UTQG vs. 700 AA for either the Continental's or Pirelli's.

Has anyone had the WRG2s/3s on in the winter, and if so, how do they compare with the high performance (H or V speed rated) WINTER performance tires out there (NOT the 'spongier' Q, R. or T rated "real/full on" winter tires), on snow/ice/slush??
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back