Anyone removed window tint themselves?

Watching some youtube videos and it's doesn't seem too hard. Heat with a hair dryer and peel off. If you're careful the glue comes off with the tint. Anyone tried it and how did it turn out?

I had some ugly tint that turned purple on my old S10. Even sitting out in the hot sun it was an absolute mess to come off. It did not come off as a sheet, but pieces at a time. Just had to work at it it by bit. Used lacquer thinner to clean up the old adhesive, followed with regular glass cleaner. I reinstalled darker tint so it had to be as clean as possible. I think DIY installing it was worse than the removal. You might look into some plastic razor blades. While regular ones would likely not hurt anything I've just taken a like to them after using them to clean buildup off of camera mirrors at work.

I removed it once while the friendly cop was writing me a ticket for it. Had both front side windows removed by the time he returned so I didn't have to drive an hour back to that station to show I removed it and cancel the ticket.

He seemed momentarily dumbfounded that I got it off so quickly and then crumpled up the ticket.

It was not a professional job however, just tint I bought and applied myself.

I removed it once while the friendly cop was writing me a ticket for it. Had both front side windows removed by the time he returned so I didn't have to drive an hour back to that station to show I removed it and cancel the ticket.

He seemed momentarily dumbfounded that I got it off so quickly and then crumpled up the ticket.

It was not a professional job however, just tint I bought and applied myself.
Same thing happened to my Nephew.

Roll down windows and windows without defrost. Quickest and easiest is just regular blue windex and a straight razor blade.

Windows with defroster, steam it off using the trash bag method.

Tint glue is nasty snotty stuff, so don't sling it everywhere when you're scraping it off.

Worked very well for me with my wife’s clothing steamer on door windows. Note, with the steamer if you do anything near headliner it could separate it.

Used clothes steamer to removed from front door glass on my Vue since I got rejected by inspection station. Worked like a champ.

Back