Anyone out there with 500,000 miles or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would only count engines that required no overhaul or very minor internal repairs.
like timing set on engines with fiber gears.
or seals,gaskets,ect.
the closest i have come is 395k and still counting.
85 olds 307
1 timing set and 2 intake gaskets.several valve cover gaskets.
whatever oil and filter was on sale is what it got at every 3k.
its in a wagon that has been used as a pickup.
loaded heavy and driven hard.

quote:

Originally posted by 92FXR:
A couple of months ago I went up to Stratton, Vt. th the Saab owners convention for the day. What impressed me the most was a Early 90's (can't remember the year)Saab 900 that had.... Hang on now...
956k miles. The owner was obviously quite proud and it was still on its original turbo without any engine rebuild !!
Tom
Cape Cod

1986 SAAB 900 Turbo convert - 275K miles original turbo, auto trans; no engine repair ever. 5/10W-30 Pennzoil dino oil every 7500 miles most of its life and turbo is not wter cooled like the newers ones.

I had a 1987 SAAB 9000T. It had 285,000+ on the clock before it blew a head gasket as my wife was out and about. Busted by a water jacket and pumped out the coolant as she was driving. Called me when she was almost home from the side of the road to tell me the car was burning!!!. Bye Bye 9000. i also had a 1990 900 sedan 5 speed. Sold it at 185,000+ miles.

quote:

Originally posted by 92FXR:
A couple of months ago I went up to Stratton, Vt. th the Saab owners convention for the day. What impressed me the most was a Early 90's (can't remember the year)Saab 900 that had.... Hang on now...
956k miles. The owner was obviously quite proud and it was still on its original turbo without any engine rebuild !!
Tom
Cape Cod

If you walked away from that encounter without finding out what oil this man used, you shall be banished from this forum forever!!! This is the sort of record that, if true, is pretty hard to dispute. I'll go on a limb and assume it was not a steady diet of Wolf's Head and Slick-50.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Which comes to no more than 5K miles per year.
It would take 20 years to get to the 100K mark!>

My 1990 520i BMW torbo with oil air-cooler clocked 300,000 KM based on above conditions, used M1 5/50wt day one after 10,000 KM run-in, engine/electrical zero problem till date.

The amazing thing is that I can't find a single spot of rust any where under the car--not even on any screw head!

My 97 F150 has 190,000 on the clock now with no major trouble, just a clutch and normal wear items. Looking to get many more miles out of this one.

hehehehehehe good to see so many people reach the high milage club

Last one was 422K
it was a lemon from the het go
and I sunk a lot of money into her and
in the end there was too many body parts and other things coming due that outweighed me keeping it
so I let her die in a gas station bay

Others well into the 180K
even 800K+

all one engine

Almost all were fed just dino and moly.

The high milage ones for me ie over 400K
were trucks or truck types like wagons

Had a couple stolen
sold a few because I was tired of looking at them and sitting in them, and they were the best of all my cars...

Will turn over the 300,000 mile mark next week on my '97 Grand Prix and do an analysis. Only Havoline 10W30, no added oil between 5K oci's and only 2 water pumps and an alternator.

Sorry I have been away for some time and just getting back. The answer to the question as to what kind of oil......Mobil 1...but for all its life, I don't know. He had a bottle of Mobil 1 in the engine compartment on display and commented he was on a first name basis with the marketing manager from Mibil and at 1Mil miles they hoped to do a deal.
Tom

Do you still have that Cutlass? Boy, that's inspiration for me to keep my 1995 3.1 convertible. Rust, strut bearings, tranny will need work to make it that far I bet. 145k now. These winters are brutal on the body and undersides.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hominid7:
Assuming you can keep those other cars from bashing into it that is.
Exactly! my poor 92 mirage has been hit twice in one year.

I would especially like to know how Los Angelino's make it. I mean, how they keep body and soul........and yes, car too....... intact driving so wildly on badly surfaced Freeway's. L.A. is one wild, crazy place, man. Maybe they are all on Speed or something.
blush.gif

About 2 or 3 years ago, I read of a guy who had a pretty large paper route in NE Georgia, South Carolina and SE Tennessee. He had a mid-90's model Chevrolet 1500 with a 305 and I forget which transmission.

He drove about 3,000 miles a week, and had the oil changed once a week at some local Pennzoil quick-change place. He had other maintenance done at the specified intervals. He would check the oil and other fluids at every fill-up, take a whisk broom and brush out the carpet, seats, etc.

It was well documented he had well over 1,100,000 miles. Pennzoil got word of it and took the truck away and bought the guy a new Chevrolet 3/4 ton truck.

The article that I read about it said the engine was hauled to Houston to Pennzoil's office and torn down. It was said that it looked like a new engine inside.

I don't remember if a transmission was replaced or not, but I don't think there was any major repairs.

I have a 2001 CR-V and it's a youngster with 106,000 miles on it. But I just love it so dang much that I am going for 500,000 out of it. I change the oil and filter every 3500 miles, ususally it's trop-artic 5w30 and a wix filter. I am optmistic that I can acheieve my goal, if I don't, I'm going to have fun trying.

Hey, this might be getting a little bit off topic, but I always liked the 1st gen CR-V. It just looks "right." Not too much of anything, just useful and handy. I'd be curious to hear in detail what you like about it, why, and so on. What kind of mileage do you get

I hear they are very reliable.

- Glenn

there is a company called armadillo that drives railroad crews (another is renzenberger) to and from trains and depots that routinely gets 500k+ out of there chevy suburbans in 2-3 years. the trans don't last that long. i work for the r.r. and see these high mileage trucks all the time. call them to see what they sell these newer trucks for with 500k on them, thats about how long they drive them and then sell them.

Friends Oldsmobile with a Pushrod GM 3.8 went 240,000 miles before he gave away the car. It then go stolen and left for dead in a junk yard, otherwise it would've kept running. It ran very strong too.

Had a '79 Chevy Scottsdale, 350, 3/4 ton, 4x4, 5-speed.

Had over 350k miles when the speedometer busted about 8yrs before we sold it; 90% highway, hauling a 12' camper and a heavy boat for over 15yrs. 60% of those trips required it to tow up and over Loveland Pass/Continental Divide.

Ran nothing but 10w-40 Havoline with Fram filter; original engine, never opened, NEVER even had a leak, original timing set as well.

2 clutches; 1 alternator; more batteries then can remember, but ran a LOT of accessories; 1 waterpump; 4-5 sets of tires, can't remember now; 2 sets of shocks; 2 new rear drums; probably 6 sets of brakes.

Only sold her because the suspension was heavily wearing out; camper just became too heavy; and going up over Eisenhower at 25mph got hard on that old engine.

If I had to guess, I'd say she was darn close to 500k miles if not more.

She was one of the best vehicles ever owned. Only time she left us stranded was when a radiator hose blew on a Wyoming stretch; 2-3 hrs to cool down, a little bit of tape, and she was on the road to Casper for a new hose.

quote:

She was one of the best vehicles ever owned. Only time she left us stranded was when a radiator hose blew on a Wyoming stretch; 2-3 hrs to cool down, a little bit of tape, and she was on the road to Casper for a new hose.

Ramblin'fever, that Old American Iron is tough, ain't it? Yup, I ran a Ford Thunderbird (1986) for 5 miles when the radiator hose disintegrated. After I stopped to top up the Motor Oil (engine got so hot, all the Motor Oil vaporized!!!!!), tape the pieces of Radiator Hose together again, and filled up new coolant, she started right up!!!!!!! Ran until the day we sold her, 1 year later. For all I know, still alive and runnin' now!!!!!!!

I have seen a 1986 model Toyota hi-ace van, manual 2.4L petrol done almost 1 million kilometres with original motor.oil used 20w-50.change oil and filter every 5000kms or 6 months.

I love these stories. In contrast, my 87 year old mother has a 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora that she owned from new with 14,100 miles presently on the odometer.

She no longer drives, but insists on keeping the car "in case somebody is going to drive me somewhere, there will be a car to use". Of course, this logic ignores the fact that, where she lives, anyone getting to her home to drive her somewhere would have to arrive with their own car anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back