Anyone into bee keeping?

Anyone here into bee keeping? How much work at they?

We just bought some fruit trees so I figured why not get some bees too. I plan on starting with 1 hive at my house and maybe a few more plus some at my parents at some point when I’m successful.

I try to stay as far away as possible from anything that flies around and can sting. Bees not bad, but around here, I'm more concerned about avoiding wasps, yellow jackets and hornets.

No but the guy I started working for when I was a kid was, and what a fiasco that was. He kept the hives out back near the house and one day decided to move them while they were away from the hive.
To make a long story short he moved the hives and put a burning tires where the hives were before, well they came back while he was doing this and got all PO'd, he made a run for it with them chasing him down the street.

The next thing I knew the garage was filling up with tire smoke and really aggravated bees, there was a woman customer waiting, she started screaming and made a dash for her car outside. I decided it was better for me to sit in the car I was working on and close the windows and wait it out.
Turns out he jumped in a shallow pond full of snapping turtles, he didn't come back to work all day. That is my only experience with bees and I wouldn't want a repeat.

We just bought some fruit trees so I figured why not get some bees too. I plan on starting with 1 hive at my house and maybe a few more plus some at my parents at some point when I’m successful.
Not as simple as you think! There is a fairly steep learning curve for beekeeping. Much better to have a beekeeper put a hive near your trees and share (%) into the honey production.

Lots to learn, by book and by doing. My dad had bees for many, many years. Soldnhoney and had a nice little operation going on.

They can be a lot of work and sometimes not when planned, especially in urban areas. He had a majority of his hives in the country so that needed electric fences and bear control. He used to keep a few hives at the house in town but when the colony all of a sudden packs up and swarms on the neighbors property...

It needs to be a labor of love I think for the most part, not just mechanical.

My Dad had bees for many years, same as BrianF's.

Start with one hive, work it awhile and learn. Barring disease or spiders, when they swarm you'll have two. Grow slowly as it can be overwhelming to get too many too fast.....one not so bad on the amount of work....but it grows non linearly with more hives.

Get involved with the local bee network; lots of knowledge and tips to be garnered. Plus when it's time to harvest the honey you'll be able to use some dude's centrifuge instead of paying $$$ for your own.

Oh, and don't move the hives during the day...that guy was wrong...do it at night when they're sleeping.

No but the guy I started working for when I was a kid was, and what a fiasco that was. He kept the hives out back near the house and one day decided to move them while they were away from the hive.
To make a long story short he moved the hives and put a burning tires where the hives were before, well they came back while he was doing this and got all PO'd, he made a run for it with them chasing him down the street.

The next thing I knew the garage was filling up with tire smoke and really aggravated bees, there was a woman customer waiting, she started screaming and made a dash for her car outside. I decided it was better for me to sit in the car I was working on and close the windows and wait it out.
Turns out he jumped in a shallow pond full of snapping turtles, he didn't come back to work all day. That is my only experience with bees and I wouldn't want a repeat.
I’ve actually heard they are pretty tame as long as you don’t mess with their hives. A co workers husband was drinking and mowing and ran right into a hive. I know it may come as a surprise, but it didn’t else well.

I’ve actually heard they are pretty tame as long as you don’t mess with their hives. A co workers husband was drinking and mowing and ran right into a hive. I know it may come as a surprise, but it didn’t else well.

There are ways to mess with hives. Beekeepers use smoke to disorient the bees.

Beekeepers apparently like swarms. Supposedly better than buying colonies or even splitting a hive. I've seen a swarm being collected by a beekeeper. The beekeeper didn't wear any gloves and the swarm itself seemed really calm.

There are ways to mess with hives. Beekeepers use smoke to disorient the bees.

Beekeepers apparently like swarms. Supposedly better than buying colonies or even splitting a hive. I've seen a swarm being collected by a beekeeper. The beekeeper didn't wear any gloves and the swarm itself seemed really calm.
Yes. A swarm is a simple way to increase your hive count.

They were there for years and he never had any trouble with them until he did that stunt. I honestly never noticed them and the bees I did see were not very aggressive, i could even say they were a docile little creature, until the day all hell broke loose, then it was pandemonium in the place.
Like any creature I am sure the keepers know them and apparently they know the keeper.

I heard that they're not just simple to increase, but generally they're more productive honey producers.
Correct. A swarm consists of an overwintered fertile queen and roughly 60% of the workers. Swarming occurs when nectar flows are strong. Re-hiving a swarm is essentially giving them a move in ready home. I have had swarms fill a medium super in three weeks. That’s 45-50lbs of honey. 🙂

Catching a hive and their new home.

Attachments

• E054EB18-6ED7-4D64-A8D1-DEFDD4BAD605.jpeg
    E054EB18-6ED7-4D64-A8D1-DEFDD4BAD605.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 9A0A42FE-1DD7-42AD-8B6E-4FDFCF67BACC.jpeg
    9A0A42FE-1DD7-42AD-8B6E-4FDFCF67BACC.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I've recently noticed that pollinator gardens seem to be getting media attention in Michigan lately: https://pollinators.msu.edu/resources/pollinator-planting/pollinator-gardens/ We have lots of industries that depend on the little buggers.

Sam_Julier, are the destructive bee mites and/or CCD in general still a big problem across our country?

About 7 years ago I assisted a workplace research study looking at the ability of bees to pick up and transfer neonicotinoid insecticides, which is considered a possible cause of colony collapse:
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG
Bee2.jpg
Photo by Christi Palmer IR4

Last edited:
I've recently noticed that pollinator gardens seems to be getting media attention in Michigan lately: https://pollinators.msu.edu/resources/pollinator-planting/pollinator-gardens/ We have lots of industries that depend on the little buggers.

Sam_Julier, are the destructive bee mites and/or CCD in general still a big problem across our country?
The Varroa mite is present in all bee colonies in the US. It is manageable with various treatments. Left untreated a hive will most likely collapse by December. I had just one hive out of 5 make it through the past winter. I didn’t treat for varroa due to hernia surgery lifting restrictions. I plan to split the over wintered hive a least twice and capture swarms.

CCD effects hives that are transported for pollination contracts. These hives suffer from pesticide exposure, poor nutrition, monoculture which results in immune system stress. Personally I’ve never had a hive suddenly collapse.

I know that neonicotinoid pesticides were banned in the EU. I’m not sure of their current status in the US.

Last edited:
Wow, this is a nice discussion!! While I probably will never have bees, I have a lot of respect for the people and type of people into them!!

On a side note, as a kid growing up, I remember boxes of newly imported bees humming away in my dads closet. I remember hearing most came from Australia.

One day when I visit them again, I will grab some copies of his old pictures. He started off in Kitimat in Northern bc and ended up in Kamloops. Not sure of the hive count but come extraction time he had the carport stacked to the roof with supers. He had some of the best rated honey in the interior.

Many counties have a bee keeper's "club". They have meetings where a beginer can learn a lot.

As a kid, I helped my Grandfather with his bee keeping. It's a great hobby and will provide so many benefits especially for your fruit orchard.

Sometimes, the bees will get a little PO'd when you have to mow very near the hive. From what I remember, they don't like the sound of a lawn mower near the hive.

Bee keepers use smoke while they are working with the hives and that helps make them very docile.

Back