Anyone here fully recover from CHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlayman
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: spasm3
First doctors appointment since my hospital stay at 9am today. Nervous.

I wish you the best.

I'm back. This was the first meeting with a referred cardiologist outside the hospital. She is Japanese, has so may degrees she must have been in school most of her life. She gave me an EKG, Checked my BP, took a ton of notes. Said I was responding well to the meds and modified some.. less furosemide, more entresto. I don't need CoQ10 anymore and come back in a week. If things still seem ok start Cardio rehab.. after that get another Echocardiogram. Something about Cardiomyopathy with acute on chronic systolic heart failure. And something about hypertension, viral, and a other unknowns triggering the event..

That's about all I can remember. I told her I'm ok with rehabbing myself that the gym. She said she doesn't know me well enough to say yes talk in a week.

It can be difficult to take in and remember everything you are told when seeing a doctor, especially when they're using terms unfamiliar to you. Ask questions. And even ask if the doctor minds if you record the appointment or at least take notes. Or bring a relative along, my wife always goes along when one of her parents has an appointment. Its important to get as much info as possible and to keep it straight. This is serious business, not to be taken lightly or rushed.

Brought my GF. She already saved my life once dragging me into the ER shortly before I started drowning in my own fluid and couldn't breathe. She's saving me again taking the calls about the meds at this point. Entresto must be a new drug, its never stocked at the pharmacy. So its delayed. Some drugs are renewed now because they are stronger, weaker. Other drugs cant be renewed until end of month. She has me logging BP, pee, weight in a book lol. Thank god for this woman.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
The next steps include "cardio rehab".. Whats involved with that? Can I rehab myself at the gym?

No. To put it simply. Also, weight lifting is out with CHF, it is not the way you want to be exercising. Only follow the rehab exercises that you are given, do not try to freelance this.

drops 40lb dumbbells..

The LoneRanger gave you excellent advice.....do the cardiac rehab and they'll be monitoring you the entire time. Self-exercise after a cardiac event can lead to an event.....or worse.

There will be more than several things you will notice differently; shortness of breath (extent of damage/medications), dizziness (ditto/ditto), crying for no reason (crying without even working on a car......in Winter.....outside.....etc, etc), stamina (same/same), and etc, etc. Its not gloom and doom though.....you'll get used to working at YOUR max again (remember, it'll be a little different) and watching your health; correct food, good weight, exercise, and move on.

Good luck!

Last edited:
It can be difficult to take in and remember everything you are told when seeing a doctor, especially when they're using terms unfamiliar to you.
Since many docs are tied in with medical centers the visit documentation is available online. I know its available for me.

Originally Posted By: Al
It can be difficult to take in and remember everything you are told when seeing a doctor, especially when they're using terms unfamiliar to you.
Since many docs are tied in with medical centers the visit documentation is available online. I know its available for me.

Yeah, mine is too, but the quality and thoroughness of the notes is variable. And I've even found mistakes and typos.

The next steps include "cardio rehab".. Whats involved with that? Can I rehab myself at the gym?

The cardiologists have this pretty well worked out. They might have you on a hand bicycle, or an elliptical machine. But often it starts with walking and moves up to weight lifting. As weight lifting, done correctly, is a good form of interval training. Varying the heart rate up and down over the exercise period.

I would be interested to know what your doctor prescribes. I'd also guess that your heart function will improve markedly once the meds are dialed in properly. Quite often, water retention starts a cycle of heart stress that is self sustaining and won't clear on it's own.

We had around 6" of snow and then some rain last night. I did some shoveling but had to stop. Wasn't that I felt out of breath or anything. It was my normally resistant to the cold body. My toes and fingers were so cold they were numb! The cold never bothered me before. I was always the one saying "don't be a baby toughen up".. I went back in the house, tail between my legs
grin.gif
Wonder if living in a warmer climate is something I should consider..

We had around 6" of snow and then some rain last night. I did some shoveling but had to stop. Wasn't that I felt out of breath or anything. It was my normally resistant to the cold body. My toes and fingers were so cold they were numb! The cold never bothered me before. I was always the one saying "don't be a baby toughen up".. I went back in the house, tail between my legs
grin.gif
You're trying very hard to kill yourself. I do not understand it. You don't feel right because you're extremely sick and need to recover. Your doctor hasn't cleared you to do basic rehab and you're out in the cold shoveling snow. Come on guy. That macho stuff only works when you're healthy.

Leaky my boy, just step back for a bit and roll with what the MD's are proscribing as far as levels of physical activity. I get it, you have a need to be active as well as have something to occupy your mind. I'm the same way, [censored] probably all of us here are. Should have seen me forcing myself to do nothing but stay inside and watch television for three weeks this past Autumn after my eye surgery, wasn't even allowed to read because he said he didn't want my eye sweeping back and forth yet. No comparison to your situation but just saying.

Originally Posted By: hatt
You're trying very hard to kill yourself. I do not understand it. You don't feel right because you're extremely sick and need to recover. Your doctor hasn't cleared you to do basic rehab and you're out in the cold shoveling snow. Come on guy. That macho stuff only works when you're healthy.

Somehow I won't feel sorry for him.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Leaky my boy, just step back for a bit and roll with what the MD's are proscribing as far as levels of physical activity. I get it, you have a need to be active as well as have something to occupy your mind. I'm the same way, [censored] probably all of us here are. Should have seen me forcing myself to do nothing but stay inside and watch television for three weeks this past Autumn after my eye surgery, wasn't even allowed to read because he said he didn't want my eye sweeping back and forth yet. No comparison to your situation but just saying.

I'm trying... I wasn't trying to be a hero or do anything stupid, just wanted to get outside in the fresh air and contribute. Probably the real reason why I got cold fast, wasn't really doing anything but standing around holding a shovel
mad.gif

Sitting here wondering what the new dose of Ernesto (double the prior dose) I just took is going to do..

grin.gif

Yeah, our winters are a bone chilling 55F degrees.

But seriously, take it easy and not do strenuous work. Hire a kid in your neighborhood to shovel snow.

While i am not as familiar with the cardiac rehab end of things, why try to figure it all out yourself? They have done the work and its possible you rehab will be customized for your bsa and your class of heart failure. They may have target heart rates and times for you to work up to.

Lots of people life good lives with CHF as long as they are compliant with medical advice. Do their rehab at least in the beginning.

With CHF you can feel better and still get into trouble quick. Go with the program.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

While i am not as familiar with the cardiac rehab end of things, why try to figure it all out yourself? They have done the work and its possible you rehab will be customized for your bsa and your class of heart failure. They may have target heart rates and times for you to work up to.

Lots of people life good lives with CHF as long as they are compliant with medical advice. Do their rehab at least in the beginning.

With CHF you can feel better and still get into trouble quick. Go with the program.

Time. Scheduling. I already have weekly appointments with primary and cardiac doc. I'm a contractor so if I'm unavailable they replace me with someone else. That already happened once while I was in the hospital for 9 days. Thats the main reason, otherwise I would be all for it. I'm reading about it, there is a protocol.

Originally Posted By: hatt

Leaky, ^^^ in case you missed the point!

also,
contractor or not,
whatever you did in your life until now or not,
if you are DEAD (D-E-A-D as in R.I.P. under 6 feet of earth)
what does that help you and family?

P.S. do the rehab right, and i bet in a year your missus will have the energizer bunny back (That's you in a year, thin fit and more level-headed)!

I had a blood test, then a follow up with my Cardio Dr yesterday. She said my creatin is up a little but still in acceptable range. Translation - these meds are damaging my kidneys. She looked at my daily log of BP, weight, fluid exchange, etc. Said it all looks good, maintain current doses.

Then I made the pitch - Test my EF now. If its up, way up, which I think it is, no Cardio rehab. I will rehab myself. That the initial test resulting in an EF rate of 10% was when I was severely bloated with 24lbs of fluid. No kidding my heart couldn't move, it was jammed tight in my chest along with my lungs that couldn't let me breathe. If I had the EF test after the fluid was removed, I may have been 20% or more. Then I told her right now, every day I'm doing a full body 30 minute workout using 40lb dumbell, bench, and an old powerflex band cable machine. After squats walking 8 laps in front of the house. Approx 1 mile, half of it on a 15% grade. No issues, no heavy breathing. The sleepy feet pretty much gone. I asked how that compared to the rehab, she said "you'll probably be bored". She agreed and the ins co agreed to the tests in 2 weeks. EF test, blood work, some other wired contraption I have to wear for 24 hours.

I wasn't pushy with her. I'm all in on the meds, diet change, etc. Its just the rehab. I read the protocol papers, its more suited to 80year olds with walkers and canes.. I'm way past that already.

But..I made a deal. If my EF hasn't budged I will go.

I had a blood test, then a follow up with my Cardio Dr yesterday. She said my creatin is up a little but still in acceptable range. Translation - these meds are damaging my kidneys. She looked at my daily log of BP, weight, fluid exchange, etc. Said it all looks good, maintain current doses.

Then I made the pitch - Test my EF now. If its up, way up, which I think it is, no Cardio rehab. I will rehab myself. That the initial test resulting in an EF rate of 10% was when I was severely bloated with 24lbs of fluid. No kidding my heart couldn't move, it was jammed tight in my chest along with my lungs that couldn't let me breathe. If I had the EF test after the fluid was removed, I may have been 20% or more. Then I told her right now, every day I'm doing a full body 30 minute workout using 40lb dumbell, bench, and an old powerflex band cable machine. After squats walking 8 laps in front of the house. Approx 1 mile, half of it on a 15% grade. No issues, no heavy breathing. The sleepy feet pretty much gone. I asked how that compared to the rehab, she said "you'll probably be bored". She agreed and the ins co agreed to the tests in 2 weeks. EF test, blood work, some other wired contraption I have to wear for 24 hours.

I wasn't pushy with her. I'm all in on the meds, diet change, etc. Its just the rehab. I read the protocol papers, its more suited to 80year olds with walkers and canes.. I'm way past that already.

But..I made a deal. If my EF hasn't budged I will go.

So you're doing "rehab on your own", and then in two weeks you're going to get tested to see if its OK to "rehab on your own". The reason the protocol seem like they're for 80 yer old men is because they're for people that are sick and have life-threatening conditions, like you. You're asking for real trouble. I hope you don't find it, but you're asking for it. Many doctors will drop a non-compliant patient, to avoid liability issues brought on by the non-compliance leading to problems. I would.

Hi Leaky, or is it Mr. Seals?

I wanted to let you know that you could recover...almost. I know because the same thing happened to me. At age 53,which was about 4 years ago, I found that over a period of about 2 weeks, it was getting more difficult to breathe. I was admitted to the hospital where a nurse said I had "end stage heart failure". My ejection fraction was 13%. 2 weeks later, an MRI indicated an ejection fraction of 40%. About a year and a half ago an echo test indicated 50%, almost normal.

Today my exercise routine consists of weight lifting, walking, and some time on an Airdyne bike. I never did cardiac rehab because I was already in pretty good shape. My life is pretty much back to normal but I do get tired a bit. I think this is due to the 6 pills a day I take.

Al I can add is listen to your doctors,take your prescriptions, exercise, and try to stay at a reasonable weight.

If you want, ask me anything, here or in a PM.

Here's who I see. Diverse health Services
He does Skype patients around the world. He really helped my father in law with his CHF. He went from an ejection fraction of 20 up to a 39 before his family Dr. told him he was wasteing his money on supplements. So a year ago he stopped taking all of his supplements and has been in and out of the hospital for water retention multiple times. He was a real train wreck when he came to live with us.

Then I told her right now, every day I'm doing a full body 30 minute workout using 40lb dumbell, bench, and an old powerflex band cable machine. After squats walking 8 laps in front of the house. Approx 1 mile, half of it on a 15% grade. No issues, no heavy breathing.

Not surprising. Hard exercise, done correctly, can really strengthen the heart. You will know when you've overdone it! A key symptom is fatigue.

I'm off to the gym, dumbbells today. 45 pounds, 55 pounds and 75 pounds. Heart is working a whole heck of a lot better than years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back