Anyone have the ring doorbell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you meant like the one from 1931 that is still in my cellar from when the house was built. Bugger still rings good.
lol.gif

My Co-worker has one. We are always checking out the people that come to his door. He also talks to his dog walker through it.

Yes. It captures video of everyone/everything that comes in to the motion zone, which you can adjust using the app.

You can answer the doorbell from your phone, no matter where you are. e.g. I was in San Diego with my wife when my neighbor rang the bell, and we talked over the ring-iPhone connection.

After a year in service, I had to recharge the battery. Even though it's connected to a wired doorbell power source, the battery had discharged to about 50%. The Ring app let me know the device needed attention.

I am glad I have it.

Old house, the doorbell and wiring was all 240V.

Press the button, it activated a 240V coil, which drove the striker into one bell (more like a xylophone key), which then tilted the mercury switch to remove the current and spring drove it back into the other bell...the tilting made the mercury switch and back and forth it went.

Previous owner had patched in a press button for his bedridden wife to press if she needed him while in bed.

Can't believe that I didn't kill myself or even see a spark when I pulled that out, not realising how hot the rig was.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Yes. It captures video of everyone/everything that comes in to the motion zone, which you can adjust using the app. You can answer the doorbell from your phone, no matter where you are. e.g. I was in San Diego with my wife when my neighbor rang the bell, and we talked over the ring-iPhone connection. After a year in service, I had to recharge the battery. Even though it's connected to a wired doorbell power source, the battery had discharged to about 50%. The Ring app let me know the device needed attention. I am glad I have it.

Astro, I would like to get one of these things, but the problem I have is mounting it. Where my current doorbell is located, like many houses, is on a very narrow strip of trim that won't accommodate the much wider Ring System. I'm sure I could tear into it and start replacing trim, rerouting wires, replacing and repainting stucco, etc. But I'm not interested in turning the whole project into a Moon shot. How did your installation go? Could you possibly provide a picture of how you have it mounted? Thanks in advance.

I have one doorbell and two of their cameras on the exterior of my home.

Pretty solid products and decent basic software.

Their neighborhood watch feature is pretty cool.

UD

Originally Posted By: taztheman
How much room do you have for the doorbell? Couldn’t you mount it overtop of the trim?

Yes, but it wouldn't be a flush mount. It would overhang out well past the edge of the trim, because the frame of my security door interferes, and the trim itself is too narrow. I'll try to post a picture of my doorbell set up later. And it will be easier to see than explain. My current doorbell is one of those small, narrow buttons that's only about an inch wide. As opposed to the Ring unit that looks like it's about 4" wide.

i solved that issue by putting a sign on the from door. " DOOR BELL DOESNT WORK CALL XXXXX" that way they dont know if iam in basement. cleaning my gun or not. i MIGHT BE HOME.

I have neighbors on the nextdoor site who have videos of porch pirates stealing their packages. Fat lot of good it did them. Hopefully, if you have one it's a deterrent because it doesn't seem to do a whole lot otherwise.

Won't be home for a while, so I can't take a picture for you, Bill.

The doorbell is about 2" wide. It fit pretty flush on the frame and is well mounted. You could break it off with a crowbar if you wanted, but it would be recording you the whole time.

As it records, the video is being uploaded to the cloud. I pay something like $100/year for Ring to store the video, every video, that it takes, so even if it were destroyed, the video would be available.

Further, if it's stolen, Ring will replace it.

The security of the device is a minor concern for me, not a big one.

I like the unit a lot, even bought the Ring floodlight/camera for the backyard.

They're both a hair too sensitive, for example, a squirrel on my deck will trip the lights and video in the back yard. But in playing with the settings, I would rather not have any missed video, so, I've left them on the sensitive side.

I have a doorbell pro and 2 spotlight cameras waiting to be put up with we have the rest of the electrical work done. Fry's Electronics was running some deals on them as long as you waited for them to ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back