Fishing line choice-paralysis. Need some recommendations.

I need 500-600 yards of braid for mainly spinning reels. Usually use 30lb. Some trolling but mostly fishing cover, underwater trees etc.
So many options I have paralysis.

I have used spiderwire and powerpro in the past.
I had no real issues with the powerpro but it was extremely loud in the guides(normal for 4x braid?)

Anyone have a recommendation? Price isnt really an issue but dont want to spend $100+, $50 is fine.

Was considering sufix 832, and a few others.. Suggestions? Fishing in Ohio and Ontario.

I use the bass pro shop or Berkeley big game my brother was reeling in a Christmas tree with the big game line that somebody had sunk for crappie cover.

Search for Reaction Tackle on Amazon. Big selection at good prices. I've used many spools of it, never had any issues.

I've only used 4x but they have specific products for 9x and 16x apparently, maybe other variants.

I buy line all the time from Amazon. Great prices and many different colors and strengths. There is no need to spend big money for fishing line. Search the different kinds and pick what you like. I have bought Sufix many times with good results but I use 8lb for walleyes and am unsure about heavier lines.

I tried power pro as my first foray into braid, and could not for the life of me figure out how anyone thought it was good.

Someone told me to try spiderwire instead, and I quite like it.

I will try some of the other recommendations here. I use it in the surf, usually something heavy so its easier to handle - like 50lb.

fins windtamer. super small, slick and incredibly strong. 30lb is enough to make you engage safety squints when trying to break it off after pulling your boat all over the place with it.

I tried power pro as my first foray into braid, and could not for the life of me figure out how anyone thought it was good.

Someone told me to try spiderwire instead, and I quite like it.

I will try some of the other recommendations here. I use it in the surf, usually something heavy so its easier to handle - like 50lb.

I like powerpro... to sew buttons back on.
It is very rough and doesnt cast well at least with my gear, but I had no other issues.
That leads me to 8x or 9x braid.

I'm all over the place. I need 500/600 yard spool or I need to buy 2-300's which is less efficient.
That berkley 9x is attractive but I've never used "crystal" white braid before.. the other 2 colors are SIGNIFICANTLY more
in green its 50% more.

Sufix 832 600yard $42 moss green.

berkley 9x $24x2 328 yards in ?? crystal? color

reaction tackle 8x braid in green $30 for 500 yards.

spiderwire x8 for $35 x2 300 yards (ouch)

Fins windtamer is a x4 braid 500yards for 42$ from cabelas (sale)

Fishing trip is June.. and I'm working 7 days currently so plenty of time to get the gear ready.

Most braided fishing lines are significantly thinner than mono or fluorocarbon lines.
Do you have any feedback on specific braided line?

Last edited:
I like powerpro... to sew buttons back on.
It is very rough and doesnt cast well at least with my gear, but I had no other issues.
That leads me to 8x or 9x braid.

I'm all over the place. I need 500/600 yard spool or I need to buy 2-300's which is less efficient.
That berkley 9x is attractive but I've never used "crystal" white braid before.. the other 2 colors are SIGNIFICANTLY more
in green its 50% more.

Sufix 832 600yard $42 moss green.

berkley 9x $24x2 328 yards in ?? crystal? color

reaction tackle 8x braid in green $30 for 500 yards.

spiderwire x8 for $35 x2 300 yards (ouch)

Fins windtamer is a x4 braid 500yards for 42$ from cabelas (sale)

Fishing trip is June.. and I'm working 7 days currently so plenty of time to get the gear ready.

Do you have any feedback on specific braided line?
Looks like scAmazon pricing.

Drop in to your local walmart. I can never find it online, but they always have something for a decent price.

Or west Marine if there is one nearby.

1712019678323.jpeg

This is 15 lb test Berkley 9x crystal.

I like the Berkley Fireline Fused, slicker than the powerbraid and very little memory. I can be a bit slick on the spool if you don't anchor it really well and you pretty much have to use a palomar or similar knot or they slip out, the old trilene knot won't hold at all.

Got a buddy of mine who has been just destroying the local crappie population in a small coastal canal near me. He just retired and has been sending me photos almost daily of monster sized fish he has been catching on low pound test Dupont Stren line. The "blue" line that is so easy to see and watch the action with. He has been after me to get in the boat with him since he is launching his boat within 5 miles of my house. I am still on the mend and going thru physical therapy since mid March surgery. Soon as I can I will be joining in on some of that nice freshwater action. Before I became disabled I always had boats and I would often take 1/2 day off work and leave the plant at noon to my boat hooked up behind the truck in the parking lot and off to a nearby fishing whole. I would get out on the water at least twice a week sometimes even more when they were biting good.

I use power pro for both bait cast (bass) and heavy spinning. I like 30-50 for spinning and am fine with 10 for bait casters. I have pulled up some ridiculously heavy stuff while catfishing with both 30 and 50.

Including fish lol

Back