Anyone have a newer Tundra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wife and I are looking to buy a new truck and the really likes the Tundra. Anyone have one with the 4.6 V8? We're looking at the base model, Double Cab. Drove one tonight...rides very smooth, great power and doesn't seem as big as I thought it would be, very manuverable.

I don't have any personal experience with them, but from what I've seen, that engine is VERY easy on oil!

Which is a valid consideration when your a BITOG'er
wink.gif

My former company had one as a work truck, and it was fantastic. It had the 4.7L I think, instead of the newer 4.6L, but it was highly refined for being a "base model". The seats were very comfortable and it was quiet inside. I rather liked it.

My buddy had one when he was working in FL waterproofing, Loved it. He now lives here again and works for a local sugar company who pays for him to drive a truck that must be new every three years. They stipulate that it has to be a GM, Ford, or Dodge. [censored] him off because the Toyota's are so much better in his eyes.

If you like it, but its not really that good of a truck. For a half ton Ford has a better frame, and GM and Dodge have better motors.

They also cost a lot more than they should, and at least around here they are all $45k+ loaded models, dealers don't seem the least be interested in anything else.

The guys I know with late model ones always complain about fuel mileage, figure 10-12.

IMHO its a weak half ton that gets 3/4 ton mileage, go Toyota!

Quite frankly for that kind of coin buy a 3/4 GM or Ford, if your going to get 12mpg might as well drive a vehicle that at least can tow and haul a bit in return.

Last edited:
The first time I saw the current generation Tundra, I thought it was a 3/4 ton version of the Tundra. Everything was that much bigger. The bed was longer and deeper. The front brakes, the differential....maybe the components on the old Tundra were just undersized.

Then I drove one. It just seemed to be big for the sake of being big. "You silly Americans. We gave you a perfectly good 7/8ths size truck that does 99.5% of what Americans use a half ton truck for, it's easy to park and drive and you complain that it's not a real truck. We'll show you..."

We tried the Tundra, it failed for us. Sucked gas like it had a hole in the tank.

Does anyone else get worked up about Toyota making a big monster? When I see a Tundra I think that it is everything NOT Toyota. To me Toyota's are smaller efficient cars that run forever.

Every car company NEEDS a flagship of sorts for performance. Toyota is no different. They grew on me over the past 4 years. That 500hp truck is niiiice

the tundra was not really a serious work truck up until a few years ago, even then its not very popular versus ford/chevy/dodges. its more of a urban cowboy truck. i dont question the powertrain, but i question the value.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
the tundra was not really a serious work truck up until a few years ago, even then its not very popular versus ford/chevy/dodges. its more of a urban cowboy truck. i dont question the powertrain, but i question the value.

I have seen one locally with mechanics box/bed on it. It looks like a 1 ton sized box and its an extended cab as well so its a long truck.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Yeah no one uses them as work trucks around here.

Accountants and middle managers buy them.

I don't get your 1 ton sized box comment? 1 ton trucks have the same size bed at 1/2 ton trucks. The frame, brakes and drive train are where the big differences are.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Does anyone else get worked up about Toyota making a big monster? When I see a Tundra I think that it is everything NOT Toyota. To me Toyota's are smaller efficient cars that run forever.

They had to counteract impressions like the following, which was admittedly a large hurdle, therefore the over-the-top counter-reaction.

Quote:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back