Anyone go multiple OCI without changing filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here on BITOG car forums, it seems like it's quite common for people to go multiple OCIs without changing the filter. Is there any reason that would be particularly unacceptable on a motorcycle?

My bike is a 1000cc sportbike that I only ride 1000-1500 miles per year, mostly tame riding below 10k RPM with the exception of one track day thrown in.

Probably its fine, I've never seen anything at all caught in my atv's filter and I've done ~100 hours between changes sometimes. That said, its like $7 for the little tiny filter, so I figure I might as well change it as it has done a lot of hours and if it starts to disintegrate, I'd rather catch that sooner than later...

My 2008 Suzuki DL1000 owners manual specifically stated to change the oil filter at every other oil change. I have since started replacing the oil filter at every other oil change on all my vehicles with no adverse effects....yet.

I believe most of us pamper our bikes so will change the oil filter whenever we think it time to change it.For me, I will change the oil and oil filter every 5k km or 3 months whichever comes first. For you, maybe once a year to change oil filter due to your low mileage.

Filters are a lot cheaper than replacement engines.
However, if the filter life is stated as x miles, you should have no problem using the same filter for multiple OCIs.
Filter media is also an issue, cellulose degrades more quickly than synthetic media.

With your given situation it's tough to say. You're not accruing enough mileage to necessitate a filter change; for instance, my Yamaha FZ1 is recommended from the factory to perform an OCI every 4000 miles with a FCI of 8000 miles. Given this will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the biggest difference is the mileage accumulated and the filter being used. If someone is adding 15000 miles a year in their car while performing 7500 mile OCI's and are running a Fram Ultra filter for two intervals for a total of 15000 miles (which the filter is guaranteed to perform properly within), then it's within parameters. Even though your Supersport doesn't need a filter after only 1500 miles, I would swap it out with a new filter after its been in use for a period of a year to error on the side of caution.

I change out my filter once every other oil change. I change oil about every 3000 miles. Honda recommends 8,000 mile OCI's on my bike(vfr800 interceptor), so I feel pretty safe with my maintenance schedule.

Some other motorcycle manufacturers also recommend to change filter every other or even every third oil change(suzuki). As do some auto mfr's (honda).

I see no reason why you can't change filter every other OCI.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was able to find the info for my bike on the Internet. From the service manual: replace filter every 3rd oil change (6k km or 12 mo oil, 18k or 36 mo filter).

eCxjKnz.png

When I was an apprentice, some 25 years ago, it was drummed into me that you "shouldn't run clean oil through a dirty filter", and I still stick with that, even though I have no doubt things have moved on a bit since those days! So I always change the filter at every oil change. It's a few extra bucks, and I sleep better...but I don't think you'll do any harm following what the manufacturer says. I'm just old fashioned - it's a pity you've already got the grumpyoldman name, it'd suit me perfectly!

I do 5K/yr on my 14. It's a 1350, give or take. Water cooled, cats, it's not a bit different than my car and only 250CC smaller than the Hyundai I used to drive. I use the oil Kawi sells, it's an SL, BTW, 10W-30 if memory serves. Kawi filters, they're robust. And yeah, I use the same filter through two changes, except I crack the seal and drain it. I've cut em open at as many as three OCI over two years and they look the same as the first filter I cut open at first 5K OCI when it was new. And, being that the C-14 is a gentleman's Ninja 14 with VTEC, I hardly baby the thing. It gets thrashed plenty. No worries to the filter however.

Once a bikes gets 10 or 15,000 miles the filters run pretty clean, unless something is abnormal. I normally run a 3 or 4 oil changes on a filter, but normally change oil more frequent.

That doesn't mean to run filters 3 or 4 times the recommend, I still change the filter around its recommended change interval.

I am supposed to do a 6k oci on my bike, but my shifting is usually shot by 3k so I leave the filter on for the factory OCI and just change the oil.

I've always done this too. Next time will be the first time I go multiple oil changes with the same filter. Even when I was grumpyyoungman I was old fashioned!

Originally Posted By: hpb
When I was an apprentice, some 25 years ago, it was drummed into me that you "shouldn't run clean oil through a dirty filter", and I still stick with that, even though I have no doubt things have moved on a bit since those days!I'm just old fashioned - it's a pity you've already got the grumpyoldman name, it'd suit me perfectly!

On a motorcycle that has the clutch running in the engine oil I guess it would make sense to change the filter every other oil change. My bike has a dry clutch and a strong magnet on the drain plug. I have only changed the filter once since I bought my bike new and it now has 70,000 miles and running as strong as ever. I change the oil every 2500 miles.
I have inspected the filter element with a microscope and there is nothing plugging it.

Since mine has a shared sump, there's no way that I'd ever stretch it out to avoid buying a $10 filter.

If your going to go thru the trouble of changing the oil, is changing the filter that much more work?. Or does it add that much to the cost? Whats in a used filter?. Used oil that has contaminants in it like unburned fuel which can lower the flashpoint. Un burned particles of combustion, and varying degrees of good ol fashion dirt. And possibly metal chips that should be collected in there. If the oil has been in there for a while, acids.So if longevity is why you change your oil why wouldn't you spring for a filter? To me leaving the old filter on is like taking a bath , then putting all your dirty clothes back on.,,

I am still changing my filter at the factory recommended OCI. I only change out my oil because the shared sump system chews it up and my shifting goes to [censored] in about half that many miles. And well you are never getting all the used oil out of your engine anyways. However, I would never do 2x the OCI on a single filter. I do swap it out no matter what before I put it away for winter so I start the spring with fresh oil and a fresh filer.

The Suzuki V-Strom v-twin engine maintenance requirement for years has been about 3,333 miles on the oil (conventional 10W-40 mc oil) and 10,000 miles on the filter. Just recently Suzuki Europe has lengthened the service interval on the new DL1000A to 7500 miles on the oil and 15,000 miles on the filter. I haven't yet seen what quality oil they're spec'ing. The U.S. recommendation hasn't changed, nor have I seen other European Suzuki specs.

While the spin-on oil filter for this engine is small, it isn't much smaller than the oil filter on my 4.7L Toyota V-8, and I change that every 10k.

My 08 Suzuki DL1000 had a shared sump and the owners manual stated to change the filter at every other oil change, which I did and bike was running great and shiny clean inside when I sold it. Is Suzuki the only MC manufacturer that does this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back