Anyone go multiple OCI without changing filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change the oil on my 1100 every 4,000KM, and I change the filter every 12,000KM. Pipes have to come off to get at the filter so I'M never in a big rush to do it. Manual says to change the filter every 12,000 so I'm right in line with recommendations.

I remember reading on a forum from someone that was a plant engineer that UOAs on diesel generators were worse for fine particulates when they changed the oil filters at each oil change. The filters filtered better when they were left in for the recommended oil/filter change ratio.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Then why bother to ever change them?.,,

Because at some point they will become saturated with particulate.

So putting a new filter on with new oil, is a bad thing?. And won't running new oil thru a dirty used filter that has used oil, dirt, metal particulate pick up and circulate what your trying to remove in the first place?.,

I run oversize filters on my bikes. Run a Baldwin B161-S on my Honda 1100(3 1/32" X 4 1/16") and the B199 on my Valkyrie(3" X 5 1/8") Run those filters for 10k to 12k miles, have 92k miles on the 1100 and 104k miles on the Valkyrie.

ROD

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
So putting a new filter on with new oil, is a bad thing?. And won't running new oil thru a dirty used filter that has used oil, dirt, metal particulate pick up and circulate what your trying to remove in the first place?.,

No and no. Nobody knows when it is time to change the filter without examining the filter, and that usually requires taking the filter apart. The engine maker probably did that, or they recommended what they've been recommending for years with good results.

The trapped particles stay in the filter. They don't run out. There are a few ounces of dirty oil, but that is mainly cosmetic. There is always a few ounces of dirty oil in nooks & crannies inside the engine, and that makes no difference, either. Of course if the oil was contaminated--lots of coolant in the oil or something, then a new filter, flushing oil, another new filter and new oil would be needed.

No, if they did that what good would a oil filter be. I would bet that my bike(s) goes into bypass every time I start it for the first time of the day.

ROD

The service interval on my bike is every 7,500 miles. I drain the oil once within that time frame so Ill do one drain myself and leave it to the mechanic when I bring it in for the filter.

Yes. On both my bikes and all my cars and trucks. 10000 miles or so for the bikes which equates to around 3 oil changes.
Cars and trucks depend on the filters I'm using.

Greetings:

I do not change the filter at each oil change on any of my bikes. I have six bikes that I ride. VFR700F, VFR750F, CB700SC, CX650T, CBR600, Sportster. I have UOA plus particle count for each bike. I use the Amsoil oil filter on each bike. The bike that has the most runs on the oil/filter is the HD. I change oil at 2000 miles. I have four runs of changing the oil but not the filter. At each run the UOA plus particle count shows that the filter is becoming more efficient as time goes by. This is objectively demonstrated by the particle count. I am using Amsoil 10-30 motorcycle oil in all of the above-listed bikes. An interesting data point is the HD that typically gets serviced by most people with quite heavy oil. The bike showed a significant decrease in wear metals with 10-30 compared to the 20-50 grease that had been in the bike. There is absolutely no harm in long-term filter usage. The filter has a bypass valve if for some reason the media becomes clogged. This would be quite evident on UOA in an increase in wear metals and particle count.

There was a comment on having old oil in the filter at time of fluid change but no filter change. Whenever I change oil I always drain the machine and put in a quart of oil and run the machine for a minute and then drain this quart of oil out to flush the system.

I have never heard of any objective evidence to suggest that running new oil through an old filter has any negative effect.

It's my program and it's based on UOA's with particle count.

Dave

I use the Amsoil filter on my Harley and Valvoline Vr1 20w50 and change the oil every 3,000 miles and the filter every other oil change. That filter should go 8,000 miles with no worries.

Sounds like he's changing the oil earlier and as a result running the filters at normal interval or slightly longer.

Some say is it really that much trouble to change the filter too with oil change?

Yes, it can be 3 times the work depending on the bike, plus the cost and old people Like less labor.

But several street bikes have 8,000 mile oil change intervals.

Id recommend changing the filter more frequent in the first 15,000 miles, after that unless the bike isn't running right, the filters normally run very clean, assuming your not running long oil changes, then all should go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back