Anyone get frustrated when someone drives scared ahead

Originally Posted by grampi

There is no such thing as speed limits anymore. People drive as fast as they want because they know there will be no consequences for doing it. Our roads have become a free-for-all and if you drive the speed limit you will get tailgated, or maybe even run off the road...

Then get out of the left lane.......

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by MCompact
The people who drive me nuts are the ones who take corners at 50% of the posted advisory speed- riding their brakes the entire time. They need a crate of bus tokens instead of a drivers license.

Worse than these drivers are the ones that come to a nearly complete stop when making a right hand turn (no one in front of them), and even worse yet are the drivers that stop on an expressway entrance ramp (these drivers need to have their driver's licenses taken away on the spot). Also, the left-foot-brake drivers that go down a straight level road with no one in front of them, their brake lights coming on every time they take their foot off of the gas, infuriate me. Then there are the morons that ride in the left lane of an Interstate, under the speed limit, with a long line of vehicles behind them and a clear lane in front of them, vehicles passing them on the right, going right by signs posted every few miles that say "Left Lane For Passing Only".

You can take the corner a million times too slow but only once too fast.

Originally Posted by BigShug681

If you cannot negotiate a corner within a couple of mph of the advisory speed you need a bus pass instead of a drivers license.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by BigShug681

If you cannot negotiate a corner within a couple of mph of the advisory speed you need a bus pass instead of a drivers license.

I use double the speed on the yellow signs as a general guide.
lol.gif

Read my account again.

Even getting out of the left lane isn't good enough. I was passing a slower car in the middle late at about 10MPH faster than the car. Signaled to change to the middle lane, but the guy behind me couldn't be bothered to wait for me to finish putting at least two car lengths between me and the car I just passed.

I really don't care about people going faster than me or not. It's not the speed that is the problem, it's the impatience. I was clearly signally that I would get over. I was clearly passing slower traffic. So what was the problem?

Be smart about your speeding. If you see the car in front of you is passing, there is no need to try to climb into their trunk. If they've signaled, they are getting over to the right, there is no need to pass them on the right.

It's not the speed, it's the impatience that is the problem.

Had it again today on I-44, in a construction zone, in the rain. Driver of a pickup truck thought I wasn't going fast enough and started to pass on the right, only to then see that we were going faster than the right lane, because while their was a u-haul trailer being towed ahead of me, we were going faster than traffic on the right.

He got blocked in by traffic behind him that was more patient and could see we were passing.

Sometimes you have to be patient to go fast.

Originally Posted by Treadstone

There is no such thing as speed limits anymore. People drive as fast as they want because they know there will be no consequences for doing it. Our roads have become a free-for-all and if you drive the speed limit you will get tailgated, or maybe even run off the road...

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
MCompact said:
I use double the speed on the yellow signs as a general guide.
lol.gif

Me too; and that's hardly driving on the ragged edge...

I drive scared mostly all the time now. Most commuters multi-task. I was guilty of it myself. Since I retired, my safe following distance has often led to me having it taken away by some bozo. Used to drive me crazy. No worries. Maintain a safe following distance . Scariest so far was on I 77 about to get onto I 81. Sunday afternoon Memorial Day traffic. Overcast , showers, then the road was swallowed in a cloud. Traffic went from 70 down to 15 in a mile. I couldn't see the vehicle beside me, let alone the one in front of me. Every body had lights on. Past 50 feet you couldn't see them.If you changed lanes or stopped ... That was a very scary 15 minutes

Originally Posted by Treadstone

I don't know about you, but I don't drive in the left lane on 2 lane roads...

[/QUOTE]

Back