Anyone get frustrated when someone drives scared ahead

Tonight I was taking a road home where I encountered two drivers who were just infuriating to be behind. It was only one lane in each direction, and this guy was driving less than 20 MPH with nothing ahead, and even slowed down to less than 15 MPH at every intersection, including at green lights and when there was no stop signs in our direction (but stop signs in the perpendicular directions). I thought that would be it, but I got stuck behind another driver doing basically the same thing. Drive at a crawl, then at every intersection slow down even without any pedestrians or even vehicle lights.

Also - this morning I stopped at a stop sign where there was someone crossing at an intersection. I then proceed when the pedestrian is well past me. Then I hear a honk, and right a stop sign there's someone who started moving with that pedestrian right in front of his car. He of course stopped after hearing the honk, but I'm not sure he wouldn't have just plowed into her without warning. I gave him a staredown as I drove by him. I've occasional seen drivers where I wonder if they really shouldn't have their driver licenses revoked.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
I've occasional seen drivers where I wonder if they really shouldn't have their driver licenses revoked.

My experiences would say about 1/4 the drivers on the road should be riding the bus instead of driving.
eek.gif

I have to drive while constantly looking in 6 different directions at once. I have to anticipate ahead of time what kind of mistake the other driver is going to make and take countermeasures to avoid a collision before it happens. I'm a real driver and have to be on my game if I want to save the car. No time for cell phone calls or scanning radio stations. I drive the car and that's it. Fighter jet pilots are probably more relaxed than I am.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I have to drive while constantly looking in 6 different directions at once. I have to anticipate ahead of time what kind of mistake the other driver is going to make and take countermeasures to avoid a collision before it happens. I'm a real driver and have to be on my game if I want to save the car. No time for cell phone calls or scanning radio stations. I drive the car and that's it. Fighter jet pilots are probably more relaxed than I am.

Thanks for the laugh!

Give them a break. There may be a legit reason for them to go slow. My uncle who is 84 now started driving significantly slowly after he got into a couple of crashes in his 60s. He stopped driving altogether 12 years ago.

Yes I experience that often in Toronto. I try to speed past them if possible or slow down and get away from them. Never a cop around when you need it to pull those types over.

If they're from another county/state I just give them the benefit of the doubt. My wife on the other hand get furious and then gets mad at me when I, in a calm manner, say something like "Ya, look at their plate, they're from XYZ".

The people who drive me nuts are the ones who take corners at 50% of the posted advisory speed- riding their brakes the entire time. They need a crate of bus tokens instead of a drivers license.

People in my area get very frustrated if you are driving the speed limit. That makes you a slow driver.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Give them a break. There may be a legit reason for them to go slow. My uncle who is 84 now started driving significantly slowly after he got into a couple of crashes in his 60s. He stopped driving altogether 12 years ago.

More likely they are on the phone texting.

We got stuck behind a guy on a curvy 1 lane mountain rd. He actually did stop a couple of times right in the middle of the corners. No side roads or anything like that. He had a line of 12 behind him by the time we got to the top. Infuriating for sure.

Originally Posted by das_peikko

Capsule description of a good Noo Awlins driver. There are about five of us.

Know what's even dumber than road rage? Letting it affect you even when you're not on the road.

And just maybe it's someone's kids, grandparents, parents, spouse.... that just isn't as good of a driver as you and is doing their very best, even though it does not please you, to drive carefully.

Nice knowing there are judge, jury, and executioners in every thing we do.

1) The "...judge, jury and executioner" comparison isn't 100% applicable as slow, dopey driving is indeed dangerous. In severe cases the expression/question becomes, "Can you drive or can't you?"

2) It stinks when people watch their GPSs "inch-by-inch" instead of knowing enough to go through a turn THEN PULL OVER to review your place on a map is the way to do it.

3) Hey, maybe they're really stoned? Super slow driving is a DGA (Dead Give Away).

4) It is so true that road raging grows in the mind. Anger is one of The 7 Deadly Sins for a reason.

5) As mentioned, you gotta pay attention....driving is a full time task....driving also stinks (big picture)

King Solomon out

I get more frustrated when someone drives slowly in an area where they know they can't be passed, but then accelerates to the speed limit every time the dotted line appears so you can't justify passing them if a police officer sees you.

I don't care if someone wants to drive slowly to look for a driveway (or frankly, for any other reason). But for one to purposefully impede other's travel just because they don't want to be passed is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by y_p_w
Tonight I was taking a road home where I encountered two drivers who were just infuriating to be behind. It was only one lane in each direction, and this guy was driving less than 20 MPH with nothing ahead, and even slowed down to less than 15 MPH at every intersection, including at green lights and when there was no stop signs in our direction (but stop signs in the perpendicular directions). I thought that would be it, but I got stuck behind another driver doing basically the same thing. Drive at a crawl, then at every intersection slow down even without any pedestrians or even vehicle lights.

Also - this morning I stopped at a stop sign where there was someone crossing at an intersection. I then proceed when the pedestrian is well past me. Then I hear a honk, and right a stop sign there's someone who started moving with that pedestrian right in front of his car. He of course stopped after hearing the honk, but I'm not sure he wouldn't have just plowed into her without warning. I gave him a staredown as I drove by him. I've occasional seen drivers where I wonder if they really shouldn't have their driver licenses revoked.

Coastal Californians that visit the mountains and can't drive in the snow.

And slow people on a twisty mountain road, like the Angeles Crest Highway or Rte 330 going to Big Bear. Even more infuriating that they are too stupid to pull over to let faster traffic pass, which is a ticketable offense as the signs posted about it are black on white (which means it is enforceable).

Back