Anyone ever had valvetrain noise with Supertech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supertech oil filters are really catching my attention; They are about $3 and made by champion labs?? (my size is 7317)

The only problem is that they use nitrile instead of silicone, I tried a couple on my Legacy and had no problems taking them to 10,000 miles with M1 0W30, now I wanna use them on my SpecV but that car has a timing chain and the winter is coming so I REALLY don't want a failing ADBV..

Right now I'm using Pureone on the SpecV, but it seems like overkill because the max I ever go on that car is 5,000 miles on the oil. If only I could find the motorcraft version...

I am sure it would be fine but again here, why do you want to change a good thing to save miniscule amounts of money on a very nice car? Stick with what you know works. Filtration is important. You do what you want, but think about it, who the heck knows if you are going to get start-up rattle? Try one in the summer and see how it works.

Stick with the PureOne ... they aren't that expensive, and Purolator usually has a rebate going on almost all the time on them.

For how long you run your filters, stick with a proven performer. The amount of $ saved per mile is nearly nothing.

No sir. Been running supertechs for years on several cars and never had a problem or an strange noises. Great filters if it's the non ecore kind.

my dad uses supertechs on my sisters saturn and that has startup noise every time. i would avoid then on overhead cam applications. but then again that turned me off of them. i will only use filters with well functioning anti drainback valves made from silicone.

no fram, ecore, or any of the deviations.

Count me in as valvetrain noise from Supertechs (GM 3.1L).

Perhaps it wasn't valvetrain noise. All I know is that I've never had that noise with other filters and had it every time I've ever used a Supertech.

The only start up noise I have ever had was with a ST filter on a 99 Ford 150. In the middle of a 10K OCI I switched to a MC and problem solved.

2002 Ford Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan SOHC engine.

Start up noise every time with SuperTechs. I tried them for awhile back when ARX was in vogue round here. I also tried AutoZone's brand of E-cores that they used to sell for $1.09 or something like it.
The Start up noise got to me.

I switched to Motorcraft branded filters from Walmart and I haven't looked back. There really is something to be said for that silicone Anti Drain back valve.

I believe the filter For a Nissan 2.5 would not be an Ecore.
I cut one open a while back from my wife's nissan van and it looked very well made, should be the same filter as the Spec V.
I wouldnt have any trouble using one, especially for a 5k interval.
I have been running Wix on our van recently, since I get a good deal on them through work.
Give it a try, not much to lose, if you get startup noise, take it off and put a Wix or Pureone back on.
FYI the oem filters have a black nitrile ADB valve and I haven't heard of anyone having start up noise with those.

Aren't all Supertech filters E-core? That just kills it for me right there. I don't trust that E-core with the plastic
center tube and fiber end caps. My car is too much of a necessity to take a chance on something like that.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Aren't all Supertech filters E-core?

Nope, they aren't all e-cores. Some sizes are the traditional design. I think it may be the smaller sizes, but I don't remember offhand.

My Nissan uses the same filter that the OP is asking about. I just happened to look at one last night at WM. All the boxes have a picture of the ecore design, but I opened the box and the 7317 was not an e-core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back