Anyone else dislike look pedals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Ive had look keo pedals on my roadbike for a while now. Anytime I ride where I have to clip in and unclip regularly, I can't think of a more annoying setup...

With road shoes, you dont get any traction on the pedal, and the pedals always fall upside down... Any need to have a quick getaway, and youre asking for trouble.

I feel like I can't do better than good old SPD for cheap, easy, and quick to get in. Add mountain shoes and it is super-easy.

What road pedal system do you use???

I've never had Looks but I've tried a few different ones and I've settled on Crank Bros.

The Eggbeater should be perfect for you. Very minimalist. They even make a Ti one.

I use Crank Brothers Quattro pedals. I mountain biked for many years before I started riding road bikes, and the Crank Brother Quattros were very similar in design and function to the Time MTB pedals I was accustomed to.

I know several guys who use Crank Brothers Eggbeater MTB pedals on their road bikes.

I used LOOKs for many yrs and were used to them. they heaviest part, the rear, would drop down, so all you had to do was roll your foot foward to clip in, simple.
I'm using shiamno pedals now, lower profile, and even easier to get into and out of.

Since I switched to Speedplay pedals, I haven't looked back. As easy to use as one could ever wish, whether talking about the various road versions or their Frog MTB pedals. Their free-floating design is fabulous.

I once had horrific knee problems. At times it was absolute agony climbing in and out of my van. A combination of the Speedplay pedals and Specialized Body Geometry shoes ended the pain. I haven't had even the slightest issue since making the change.

I couldn't be forced to go back to using a range-of-motion restricted pedal design at gun-point...

I'm an SPD lover. Always used their pedals. Always enjoyed the same feel as I'm used to. No maintenance, and easy in and out. Also inexpensive..

Wow, I'm ignorant as far as clipless goes...

My touring bike is sporting some bargain-bin Wellgo pedals. Always easy to clip into and out of, as long as they're kept lubed up.

I have Look 296's and they are a great pedal. The rear of the pedal drops so when clipping in all you have to do is basically step in as you rotate the crank forward. The Keo's are the same setup. They just take some acclimation.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I use Crank Brothers Quattro pedals. I mountain biked for many years before I started riding road bikes, and the Crank Brother Quattros were very similar in design and function to the Time MTB pedals I was accustomed to.

I know several guys who use Crank Brothers Eggbeater MTB pedals on their road bikes.

Wayne, are you aware CB has discontinued Quattros? I ordered some replacement cleats for mine while I could find them. By the time the second set wears out, there will be many new designs to choose from.

FWIW, my pedal body unscrewed and came loose from the spindle while I was on RAGBRAI. Was a little tricky getting it tightened back up. Also, I found out the hard way that you need to keep the bolts holding the side plates of the platforms tightened as well.

Well, Im trying speedplay. I like the idea of float (though my knees don't need it), and given my riding in traffic often, the dual-sided pedal makes it mindless.

I like the look pedals, they are comfortable, and work well. My intent is to use them on my old trek, which is on a trainer. Should last forever there and be perfect.

Should the speedplays not prove what I like, I can return them and go back to look until I find something else. For MTB, the time ATACs will be my option, for road, any recommendations? Need a mindless step-in like SPD...

old school was good enough for me...never converted to the Look type. I'm not riding on the tour and have a couple pounds to loose so inefficiency is ok LOL!

Used SPEEDPLAY X2 road pedals for about 12 years with good results. Last year we decided on trying LOOK KEO pedals and are VERY happy so far. I just hope they are at least as reliable.

I am happy with my look keo pedal performance - it is the one-sided thing (I ride in traffic, so need no brainer engagement) and the lack of float does seem to create an issue sometimes... We will see how the speedplay do...

JHZR2,

I will be interested to know your impressions of the Speedplays. Please report back!

I love the Look pedals, but as you say, the cleats suck. I switched to Speedplays after a fall pushing off from a stop light. Totally my fault, but still. Although now, they offer a cleat with little "traction pads" on it that supposedly gets rid of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back