Anyone diggin' the Gold and Silver leaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I refresh APMEX, gold is up another 5.00 and silver another dime. Go figure!
20.gif

Since gold generates nothing eventually it will come down and I feel bad for all the people who, and it's human nature to do this, see that it's "hot" now and buy high and then are forced to hold it or sell low.

But if you've been on the ride for awhile, I'm sure it's been a hoot. When an economy is doing well it's a good time to buy gold. Now, when it's swirling the drain it's not the time at least in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Since gold generates nothing eventually it will come down and I feel bad for all the people who, and it's human nature to do this, see that it's "hot" now and buy high and then are forced to hold it or sell low.

But if you've been on the ride for awhile, I'm sure it's been a hoot. When an economy is doing well it's a good time to buy gold. Now, when it's swirling the drain it's not the time at least in my opinion.

Always happens!

High Gold prices are BAD for the domestic electronics industry. I'm no economist. but isnt gold value steady - just our dollar is worth less? High gold prices are a bad sign I would guess ...

Well, they claim it's being snapped up by those with lots of cash laying around. Governments are buying it by the millions of ounces to trade their dollars. This one is a little different in that the foreigners aren't believers in currency anymore. Lots of citizens, too. They want the physical kind because everyone out there is aware that there are 24 times the value of all the physical gold in the world in mine shares and certificates-futures, like that. Silver is the same way as regards the paper certificates issued without real physical holdings behind it. But silver has industrial value in dozens of ways that gold does not. The Pauls, both Ron and Rand are demanding an accounting. Yeah, the gold in Knox and the N.Y Federal reserve is there but they're convinced it's encumbered via pledges to other banks and governments in exchange for all the crummy mortgage securities we dumped on them back in the boom-time. Who knows what's next, but something's up. When the biggest mine in the world sells off all its hedges and wants no further part of futures pledges, shortages and increases have got to be on the way.

Ah well, keep that register ringing!

the smart money went into gold/silver in late '08/early '09, when the auto co. loans and the bank/financial institution bailout issues hit the proverbial fan.chicken little investors, economic uncertainty,massive job losses, and consumer spending on durable goods coming to a near halt goosed the upward climb of gold and silver.this was very predictable.
gold/silver should stay high, and likely climb, in the next 2 or 3 quarters, mainly due to the crippling trillions of U.S. debt -- much of it owned by the chinese, japanese, and koreans.as well, household debt is well over 100% of disposable income.these are key factors which will keep the greenback relatively low, and gold/silver relatively high.

Gold is still at half of it's all time inflation adjusted high, but that was hit when REAL price inflation was occurring from the oil embargo.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6932NR20101004

The fact that there are now gold vending machines popping up around the country should tell you something! I don't think we've reached the hysteria alla the peak of the dot com boom when people were exuberantly talking about the tech stocks in the grocery store line! But I wouldn't be trying to get into the gold market to strike it rich now.

I think one of the best things to come out of this latest gold rush are the commercials with Gordan Liddy. "I got into gold and it's the best thing I ever did" Well yea! Anything is better then breaking into the Watergate hotel.
lol.gif

I'm not getting rich but I have been buying gld for the past year and a half and SLV for the past month. Im up 8% in slv and 16% in gld. I'll ride it til it busts. :)

I would never take possession. When it drops it will drop mighty fast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
High Gold prices are BAD for the domestic electronics industry. I'm no economist. but isnt gold value steady - just our dollar is worth less? High gold prices are a bad sign I would guess ...

Checked the Oz GOLD ETF.

$115(Oz) in September last year, to $132(Oz) at the present time. Peak was June/July, at just over $140 - for a tenth of an ounce.

Bernanke last week (or thereabouts) said that more quantitative easing is on the way to "help" the economy. That equals a LOT more money printing for the government to buy it's own debt.

This is the major reason gold and other metals are headed up fast.

If something happens and the government actually starts to spend less, then this upward pressure will back off.

Originally Posted By: lewdwig
I bought some silver back in the Y2K day and am selling it bit by bit to pay for my kid's college.

I managed to pick up some 100 oz bars a bit ago, and am looking to sell. Any idea of the best place to go to sell, and how much of a discount from spot prices you have to give?

No discounts when you sell if it's slabs. You're bringing a .9999 pure (I assume) commodity to them with no shipping and no premiums over spot required. The prices over spot (currently .39 over spot per ounce plus shipping on 100 ounce troy slabs) are for refining, for their insurance and for what THEY had to pay over spot. One of the dealers I use even have their own ingots, they're in many denominations (1, 5, 10, 50 and my beloved 100 oz troy stackable slabs). Those are especially nice as they're serialized as I assume yours are. But delivered by you, ready to go, you get spot price at the moment you hand over the silver or gold and they write the check. It's a dream come true for physical holders. I'd buy it now and why not? No delivery, no cents-over-spot, what's not to like?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tempest

If something happens and the government actually starts to spend less, then this upward pressure will back off.

The prospect of a big change in Washington is real - yet both gold AND stocks continue to rally. One will break big. History tells us governments (political parties are essentially a false paradigm in the grand scheme) will spend and print in the face of crisis.

Last edited:
Quote:
History tells us governments will spend and print.

Unfortunatly true. That fact and the reality that the debt is already huge continues to drive up gold and other metals. China is also buying up metals as well.

It's going to be REALLY scary when the money bubble the Fed is currently inflating bursts. The American people are being taken for the ride of their lives.

I dunno if investors in physical commodity buy into either party being austere as regards deficits or spending in general. Not taking sides, just a comment on the system as it sits with the persistent inflation in some areas, deflation in others, the deficits, increase in paper money supplies M1, M2, M3 not to mention the VERY persistent unemployment situation that may very well be quite permanent for many, many people.. There a sense, an underlying belief that's starting to be voiced in certain circles that whatever gold and silver reserves the U.S. and several other nations still hold are encumbered via pledges to other nations. While we all know our currency isn't tied dollar-for-dollar to gold or silver we still expect that nations have reserves to back the accounts deficits and so forth.

It's the (I think unprecedented, in my lifetime) lack of confidence, the endless wonder as to whether we're getting the truth anymore that's driving the physical metals markets. Like I said, not talking sides, just a position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back